Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Voluntary Workouts

vCash

Voluntary Workouts

I'm tired of corona, politics, etc.
    let's talk ball. Anyone hearing how voluntary workouts are going?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I'm tired of corona, politics, etc.
    let's talk ball. Anyone hearing how voluntary workouts are going?
    KJ Costello is on campus and is as good as we thought. His release is long but accuracy won?t be a problem. I think Shrader should move to slot bc I don?t think he ever plays QB

vCash
    Based on what I saw before the quarantine began this S&C guy is the real deal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    KJ Costello is on campus and is as good as we thought. His release is long but accuracy won?t be a problem. I think Shrader should move to slot bc I don?t think he ever plays QB
    How's will doing Bucky? I'm pulling for him to be the next great one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Based on what I saw before the quarantine began this S&C guy is the real deal
    Yeah and I think we're going to be in Lot better than most teams because of it. I can't imagine what this year would look like if we hadn't upgraded S&C

vCash
    C'mon Bucky, Shrader night not be a QB in our offense ever, that remains to be seen, but he can play QB for a P5 team somewhere.

vCash
    Yeah I kind of see Schrader transferring before it’s all over.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't. i think he would like to throw for 4k. Now if he can't win the spot, well he needs to transfer if he falls to 3rd string.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    C'mon Bucky, Shrader night not be a QB in our offense ever, that remains to be seen, but he can play QB for a P5 team somewhere.
    I am on your side with this. He was a true freshman starting against SEC defenses last year. Lets see what he can do in a good offense.

vCash
    Here’s the thing, and correct me smarter football minds if this doesn’t make sense. If Leach and company can develop Shrader into a good passer, then his legs become a huge weapon because of how spread out the offense is. We use five to block, defense rushes 5, there should be a ton of room to run if he can’t pass. So, if they can develop his arm, I think you are looking at a huge weapon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Here’s the thing, and correct me smarter football minds if this doesn’t make sense. If Leach and company can develop Shrader into a good passer, then his legs become a huge weapon because of how spread out the offense is. We use five to block, defense rushes 5, there should be a ton of room to run if he can’t pass. So, if they can develop his arm, I think you are looking at a huge weapon.
    This all day long. If Shrader can be developed this year in the passing department, he becomes a very dangerous weapon. I hope this is the approach that has been taken with him by the coaches. If it doesn?t work, he has plenty of options elsewhere, if he chooses, and we have a lot of talent in waiting.

vCash
    Too early to write Shrader for the future off in my opinion. Remains to be seen if he can adapt his skillset to the Air Raid, but he was only a true freshman last year and he wasn?t that far removed from major shoulder surgery. His decision making will need to improve (some of that was just being a freshman) and his arm strength will probably have to continue to get better if possible.

Let?s see what happens when he sits behind Costello and has a year to absorb the offense. I?m hoping we are able to redshirt him so he has three years left. He may be fine, may not be fine, but at this point he does have significantly more experience than the other guys he will be battling for the starting spot with in 2021, assuming we don?t bring in another grad transfer (entirely possible we do).

That said, 58% passing and a QB rating of 133 is respectable for a true freshman in the SEC West. I think he is more capable of fitting in with this offense than Keytaon or Fitz would?ve been.
    Last edited by Captain Falcon; 06-14-2020 at 03:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Too early to write Shrader for the future off in my opinion. Remains to be seen if he can adapt his skillset to the Air Raid, but he was only a true freshman last year and he wasn’t that far removed from major shoulder surgery. His decision making will need to improve (some of that was just being a freshman) and his arm strength will probably have to continue to get better if possible.

Let’s see what happens when he sits behind Costello and has a year to absorb the offense. I’m hoping we are able to redshirt him so he has three years left. He may be fine, may not be fine, but at this point he does have significantly more experience than the other guys he will be battling for the starting spot with in 2021, assuming we don’t bring in another grad transfer (entirely possible we do).
    Bingo

vCash
    Minshew had a lot of success when plays broke down but more often that not Leach is going to want him to throw it to the back. I?m not saying he can?t do it but he has got to be all in and then some bc the others are made for this offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No BS Dawg View Post
    Bingo
    There?s a reason he brought in the vandy transfer

vCash
    There?s a reason he brought in the vandy transfer
    Vanderbilt guy is a walk-on, correct? That’s a big get from a borderline 4-star guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Too early to write Shrader for the future off in my opinion. Remains to be seen if he can adapt his skillset to the Air Raid, but he was only a true freshman last year and he wasn?t that far removed from major shoulder surgery. His decision making will need to improve (some of that was just being a freshman) and his arm strength will probably have to continue to get better if possible.

Let?s see what happens when he sits behind Costello and has a year to absorb the offense. I?m hoping we are able to redshirt him so he has three years left. He may be fine, may not be fine, but at this point he does have significantly more experience than the other guys he will be battling for the starting spot with in 2021, assuming we don?t bring in another grad transfer (entirely possible we do).

That said, 58% passing and a QB rating of 133 is respectable for a true freshman in the SEC West. I think he is more capable of fitting in with this offense than Keytaon or Fitz would?ve been.

Well said and I agree 100%. It's like Shrader got into a fight with Willie Gay and now all of a sudden he sucks since then.

vCash
    Vanderbilt guy is a walk-on, correct? That’s a big get from a borderline 4-star guy.
    Yea but he was a mid 3 star guy and a scholarship player at Vandy. I hear what you're saying, but he's not you're prototypical walk on player.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Well said and I agree 100%. It's like Shrader got into a fight with Willie Gay and now all of a sudden he sucks since then.
    I don't think it's just that, thought that's part of it. (It was poor leadership not to deescalate the situation with Gay.) It's also that he is a weapon as a runner so it makes sense that he would be best used on an offense with some called QB runs in the playbook. Not to mention the rumor that he was missing meetings, falling asleep in film and Moorhead had to meet with his parents about his commitment.

If he gets it together and wants to play in this offense, he has the skills to do it and can win the job next year. I promise he has a higher ceiling as a passer than Anthony Gordon, and Leach made him a 5000 yard passer.
    Last edited by RiverCityDawg; 06-14-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah, but fortnight was brand new then.
    Downvotes_Hype