Thread: College Baseball Side Story Today

vCash

College Baseball Side Story Today

(1) Team rosters are now unlimited, with game rosters now 32 from 27 players
    (2) Scholarships can be smaller than 25%
    (3) SEC requested 2 additional scholarships (11.7 to 13.7) was rejected (Vandy laughed, probably)

I wonder if teams will just red-shirt 20 players, especially developmental pitchers, workout and get Rooker-size. For pitchers, MSU typically has about 700 innings per season and about 8 pitchers get 70% of the innings and 10 pitchers get 95% of the innings. Therefore, a 20 arm staff will leave many kids with no significant work and with only 3 coaches, how much attention can be given. The 3 conference starters will total up about 270 of the 700 innings.

Also, I wonder if any non-elite JC transfers would rather get another year as an Ace in JC rather than pitching 2 innings at a D1 school in 2021. They have the additional COVID eligibility. But, you probably have lots of HS kids looking at JC instead of being in the 50-man herd of a D1 team. Silly idea, could we trust Meridan and Hinds CC's to hold some Freshman, give them ABs and Innings, our farm clubs.

Man, what a mess for College Baseball and these kid's life plans.

LINK

https://d1baseball.com/news/ncaa-giv...arship-relief/

vCash
    It is a mess and I have no idea how it will play out. I don't think anything is off the table. And it's going to take a few years to get straightened out.

My guess is for most players it's basically going to come down to playing time but then again- everyone else is going to have an overstocked roster so I imagine finding a guaranteed starting spot is going to be hard to find.

We have enough JUCO connections in Mississippi to make your idea work but I have no idea if it will come to that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    (1) Team rosters are now unlimited, with game rosters now 32 from 27 players
    (2) Scholarships can be smaller than 25%
    (3) SEC requested 2 additional scholarships (11.7 to 13.7) was rejected (Vandy laughed, probably)

I wonder if teams will just red-shirt 20 players, especially developmental pitchers, workout and get Rooker-size. For pitchers, MSU typically has about 700 innings per season and about 8 pitchers get 70% of the innings and 10 pitchers get 95% of the innings. Therefore, a 20 arm staff will leave many kids with no significant work and with only 3 coaches, how much attention can be given. The 3 conference starters will total up about 270 of the 700 innings.

Also, I wonder if any non-elite JC transfers would rather get another year as an Ace in JC rather than pitching 2 innings at a D1 school in 2021. They have the additional COVID eligibility. But, you probably have lots of HS kids looking at JC instead of being in the 50-man herd of a D1 team. Silly idea, could we trust Meridan and Hinds CC's to hold some Freshman, give them ABs and Innings, our farm clubs.

Man, what a mess for College Baseball and these kid's life plans.

LINK

https://d1baseball.com/news/ncaa-giv...arship-relief/
    I mean, I get where the sympathy is coming from. But, they get a scholarship to play the sport they love and have a chance to prove they can play professionally. Their lives aren't that big of a mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    I mean, I get where the sympathy is coming from. But, they get a scholarship to play the sport they love and have a chance to prove they can play professionally. Their lives aren't that big of a mess.
    Actually, a bunch of these player here this gal won't be on scholarship. A bunch are on are small scholarships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Actually, a bunch of these player here this gal won't be on scholarship. A bunch are on are small scholarships.
    Yeah I understand that.

Just ignore me.

vCash
    It is a mess but there's also an opportunity here for some serious development of talent. Also this is probably going to weed out some of the fringe players who are taking up spots and not really ever going to produce, who either just move on or who get cut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Yeah I understand that.

Just ignore me.
    I get your point, I should have said, their "baseball" plans not the "life" plan.

But I do believe in the development curve. What would have happened to a young Rooker or Jonathan Holder in this situation? Rooker would have been buried and forgotten or transferred to Memphis. Even Foscue was not our top recruit, 7.5 rating from PG.

Rooker and Foscue show the value of getting kids on campus to see who can really play, opportunity to committed players is a trade mark of the Program.

Just the way I see it.

vCash
    Ultimately, if we can get guys to take the redshirt, this could be awesome in a couple of years. Rooker benefited big time from the redshirt and others will too. Rook also did a lot of training outside of the MSU coaching staff. Others can have similar success if they are dedicated. The thing that we aren't really talking about, and I think it really hurts us next year, is the lack of summer leagues. The guys filling in for Foscue and Westburg aren't out getting those summer league reps and making those adjustments, the lesser developed pitchers aren't logging innings to develop new pitches and that is going to hurt as much as anything. (Everyone's in the same boat but we lost our whole middle infield...yikes!)