Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft

vCash
    Players to watch for rounds 2-5...

Blayze Jordan, JT, Tanner Allen, Cameron Tullar

For next year's sake, I really hope we get JT and TA back. Even in a limited role, JT can be effective, and we really need TA's bat. Not sure who would play RF and replace his production.

I'd be happy if Blayze came but it would be unrealistic to expect him to come in and immediately contribute, plus he's kind of a project. Tullar is projected in round 5 so we'll see

vCash
    I hate their final season was cut short for them and us fans. It will be be tough to replace that type of consistency. That said, it was a great day for the MSU baseball program. I think we have 9 1st rounders to play at MSU since 2012. We had 10 all the years prior. Think about the talent coming through here making impacts at the next level. I think college baseball can grow. And our program continues the upward trajectory. I see more elite talent in the dugout next year too.

The 2021 season is going to be interesting. I'm also going to miss watching Foscues approach at the plate. Very business like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Players to watch for rounds 2-5...

Blayze Jordan, JT, Tanner Allen, Cameron Tullar

For next year's sake, I really hope we get JT and TA back. Even in a limited role, JT can be effective, and we really need TA's bat. Not sure who would play RF and replace his production.

I'd be happy if Blayze came but it would be unrealistic to expect him to come in and immediately contribute, plus he's kind of a project. Tullar is projected in round 5 so we'll see
    I don't know. If Blaze came to MSU I think he would definitely be a guy that could DH if not play first if we wanted to move Hatcher. I think he would start day one probably.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hp22 View Post
    I hate their final season was cut short for them and us fans. It will be be tough to replace that type of consistency. That said, it was a great day for the MSU baseball program. I think we have 9 1st rounders to play at MSU since 2012. We had 10 all the years prior. Think about the talent coming through here making impacts at the next level. I think college baseball can grow. And our program continues the upward trajectory. I see more elite talent in the dugout next year too.

The 2021 season is going to be interesting. I'm also going to miss watching Foscues approach at the plate. Very business like.
    Good post and very well said. Our best days are ahead of us now that we have some stability with our coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't know. If Blaze came to MSU I think he would definitely be a guy that could DH if not play first if we wanted to move Hatcher. I think he would start day one probably.
    He's got to learn how to hit a curveball.

vCash
    He's got to learn how to hit a curveball.
    Blaze would start.

It's not that he can't hit a curveball. It's that there is enough concern that someone doesn't want to pay him $2 mil right now.

Huge difference. He can hit most crappy college curveballs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Blaze would start.

It's not that he can't hit a curveball. It's that there is enough concern that someone doesn't want to pay him $2 mil right now.

How many pitchers you think LSU, Ark, Vandy, Florida, hell even Ole Miss runs out there that have crappy curveballs.

Blaze turned heads cause he can hit the ball 500 ft when he was 13. He struggled against a lot of pitching during the showcases. That’s the reason he went from being a top pick to not even in the first round. Well that and he doesn’t really have a position.

Kid needs to come to State, work his ass off and blow up like he can. Instead I believe he is gonna take the Jucu route and try again next yr from all indications.

He could be really special for us if he gets here and works.

vCash
    Blaze would start.

Except he won't be facing crappy college breaking balls in the Southeastern Conference.

I'd be pumped if he came in day 1 and was in our starting line-up. I'm just saying you can't expect it. I want him to come to school though bc I think he could answer those questions and improve his stock. Especially if he could show he can handle 3B
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 06-11-2020 at 12:54 AM.

vCash
    So basically play him against non SEC teams? He will not see one “crappy curveball” once conference play happens.

Yes, like the previous poster said, he struggled a lot when he was in the elite showcases.

vCash
    TSUN was not mentioned last night.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    How many pitchers you think LSU, Ark, Vandy, Florida, hell even Ole Miss runs out there that have crappy curveballs.
    Most of them. He'd be fine.

vCash
    Except he won't be facing crappy college breaking balls in the Southeastern Conference.

I'd be pumped if he came in day 1 and was in our starting line-up. I'm just saying you can't expect it. I want him to come to school though bc I think he could answer those questions and improve his stock. Especially if he could show he can handle 3B
    Sigh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    So basically play him against non SEC teams? He will not see one “crappy curveball” once conference play happens.

Yes, like the previous poster said, he struggled a lot when he was in the elite showcases.
    Sigh...

vCash
    This is just my opinion, but IF i am Ginn, I'd probably take the money. JT, unfortunately injuries have curtailed his progress as a pitcher, now with rumor he will be projected as a reliver if he is able to pitch next year and seems to be a gamble for his future. I'm all for the kid coming to Msu, but it seems it's a big gamble coming back to Msu. I wish him all the best and I surely hope he makes a complete recovery and be the pitcher that his potential seems to be when healthy.
    I don't think I would pass up 7 figure money this time, especially after having surgery, just saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    This is just my opinion, but IF i am Ginn, I'd probably take the money. JT, unfortunately injuries have curtailed his progress as a pitcher, now with rumor he will be projected as a reliver if he is able to pitch next year and seems to be a gamble for his future. I'm all for the kid coming to Msu, but it seems it's a big gamble coming back to Msu. I wish him all the best and I surely hope he makes a complete recovery and be the pitcher that his potential seems to be when healthy.
    I don't think I would pass up 7 figure money this time, especially after having surgery, just saying.
    The only thing now is that if he gets a 7 figure bonus, the way this year's rules are set up, he won't see all of it until July 1 of 2022. Teams are paying 10% this year, 50% of remaining by July 1 next year, and rest by July 2022.

That, coupled with the questions surrounding the long term viability of some of the minor leagues would have me seriously considering coming back to school.

vCash
    Sigh...
    Keep sighing.

The only time he would see a crappy curveball in SEC play would be on a Sunday when the opposing team is just simply out of pitching.

vCash
    I think with Blaze, you get him on campus and he works with Geau and sees our pitchers every day, he will likely adjust pretty quickly.

There were a lot of concerns about our catcher and his hitting but he got onto campus and the coaches were pleasantly surprised with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Keep sighing.

The only time he would see a crappy curveball in SEC play would be on a Sunday when the opposing team is just simply out of pitching.
    There's a difference between a crappy pro curveball and a crappy college curveball. There are plenty of SEC pitchers with good curveballs, even in relation to pro pitchers, but there are also plenty that don't have them.

And no one is saying he won't struggle to some degree with good college pitchers, just that he won't struggle so much that he can't start for us. We've had plenty of starters, even good hitters, who struggled at times and K'd a lot. Maybe he's one of those. But he would certainly have the opportunity to start for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Keep sighing.

With 50-Man rosters SEC wont be out of pitching in 2021. We might want to play 4 games per weekend. The 4th game by gentleman's agreement should be all Freshmen or players that did not participate in Games 1, 2, and 3.

Yeah, stupid idea. It would mess up the RPI calculations.

vCash
    Three things about Jordan, 1) Is his age which is a positive for growth or improvement. 2) Is his foot speed, that is somewhat a negative but not as important in MLB as in NFL or NBA. 3) What position, 1st base or 3rd base, don' think he can play the outfield but I really don't know.

He probably does need another year of growth and better coaching for a few years.

He shall see about Jordan and Ginn today, they may have some tough decisions or maybe they already know.