Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stars and bars will be fired tomorrow, Stennis is the new flag

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I believe all this is extremely accurate.
    all extremely accurate and I would also imagine they do not want to put the flag on the ballot because it would be on this November, and they definitely do not want to give certain crowds in Mississippi even more reason to show up to the ballot box.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I'm all for changing the flag, but do any of you even know what the stars on the stennis flag stand for? Not the stars on the outside (which represent the states that came before MS), but the center star, which is intended to make the stennis flag an inverted Bonnie blue flag.
    The inverted Bonnie Blue symbolizes how we're moving on from the mistakes from our past and doing the opposite now, or at least that's how I've heard it.

vCash

Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    The inverted Bonnie Blue symbolizes how we're moving on from the mistakes from our past and doing the opposite now, or at least that's how I've heard it.
    After self-study in vexillology ? the art of flag design ? and a lot of erasing, Stennis settled on the circle-star design. The 20 stars represent Mississippi?s entry into the union as the 20th state; the blue star on the white background is an inversion of the white star on a blue field of ?Bonnie Blue Flag,? which was waved when the state seceded.
    ?I inverted it because I don?t celebrate that dark moment in our history, but it has to be acknowledged,? she said. Words from the mouth of the designer.

Somebody give this man a dog biscuit!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGen View Post
    After self-study in vexillology ? the art of flag design ? and a lot of erasing, Stennis settled on the circle-star design. The 20 stars represent Mississippi?s entry into the union as the 20th state; the blue star on the white background is an inversion of the white star on a blue field of ?Bonnie Blue Flag,? which was waved when the state seceded.
    ?I inverted it because I don?t celebrate that dark moment in our history, but it has to be acknowledged,? she said. Words from the mouth of the designer.

"After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    ROFL man I had to give you some rep for that.

Edit: If you guys are talking about the magnolia flag I just saw by googling it...... I’m gonna have to go hard hell naw!!!! Looks like a kindergartner drew that magnolia tree. Come on man!!!! Let’s just throw a hollow body and a catfish on there too. Maybe we will just put four strings on it and give the catfish a smile. Oh oh and let’s not forget the sunshine. *

Kinda**
    Last edited by 3rdGen; 06-10-2020 at 09:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    It's time to change the flag. I say this as a staunch conservative. It's time. The Stennis flag is fine. I could think of better flags that represent the state, but the Stennis one will do.
    I'm with you on this. Let's just rip the band aid off and do it. I've never cared one way or the other to be honest. The sooner we replace it the sooner the left can find something else that offends them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGen View Post

Not sure why she thinks it has to be acknowledged. That will cause issues for some. Need a clean split. Just pick the bird or the tree or the flower and let's roll.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Now that we have finally fixed the flag issue, can we legalize weed. Everyone deserves to get chill every once in a while without threat of committing a felony.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    What if you take the current flag and remove the confederate symbol and replace of with the state seal in blue. Wallah. My opinion, but the Stennis flag is dog shit, and probably won?t pass if taken to a vote. I think a major problem with the vote last time was that the alternative was absolutely terrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by monroedawg5646 View Post
    What if you take the current flag and remove the confederate symbol and replace of with the state seal in blue. Wallah. My opinion, but the Stennis flag is dog shit, and probably won?t pass if taken to a vote. I think a major problem with the vote last time was that the alternative was absolutely terrible.
    Or we can take the first national flag of the confederacy like GA did and put our state seal in the middle. Man those folks are really stupid*****. A good compromise would be the Magnolia Tree flag. The rebel battle flag is gone and we are still representing history.

By the way the Stennis flag is ugly. Give us options.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 06-10-2020 at 06:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Or we can take the first national flag of the confederacy like GA did and put our state seal in the middle. Man those folks are really stupid*****. A good compromise would be the Magnolia Tree flag. The rebel battle flag is gone and we are still representing history.

The new flag needs a magnolia. We are the Magnolia state. South Carolina is the Palmetto state and has a palmetto on their flag. It's too easy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post

I agree. Stennis sucks. Saw a nice flag on Twitter. Magnolia flower in the middle, stars all around the flower, red vertical bar on one end, blue on the other, and border thinly trimmed in gold. Much better than Stennis to me

vCash
    I don't think the flag should be viewed as just the next thing in a long line of things that people are deciding is racist and offensive. I used to kind of think in that mindset, but have since changed my views. All of these symbols are from an era that was so egregiously bad and inhumane to black people. There's no doubt the ramifications of slavery thru segregation and the civil rights era are still greatly affecting our social structure in this country. Obviously its hard for a lot of people these days to fully accept that because we weren't around to see the worst of it. A lot of people pretty much just see the poverty/crime etc in the black community and think "why don't they just suck it up and make a living like I did?" Well, when the state still uses a confederate symbol on the flag and things are named after racist figures in history, its a pretty sobering reminder as to why things are the way they are. I don't think keeping any of that stuff around helps anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    I don't think the flag should be viewed as just the next thing in a long line of things that people are deciding is racist and offensive. I used to kind of think in that mindset, but have since changed my views. All of these symbols are from an era that was so egregiously bad and inhumane to black people. There's no doubt the ramifications of slavery thru segregation and the civil rights era are still greatly affecting our social structure in this country. Obviously its hard for a lot of people these days to fully accept that because we weren't around to see the worst of it. A lot of people pretty much just see the poverty/crime etc in the black community and think "why don't they just suck it up and make a living like I did?" Well, when the state still uses a confederate symbol on the flag and things are named after racist figures in history, its a pretty sobering reminder as to why things are the way they are. I don't think keeping any of that stuff around helps anyone.
    Not to go too far down this rabbit hole BUT I have to address a couple things. I work with poor black kids as well as successful black colleagues and I will say this, each individual has a choice to make about their own success in life. The people I work with will tell you the same thing. Now, if you want to say that for a middle class white person like myself that choice was easier then I’d agree. It is extremely tough for a young black male to choose his own education and success over being accepted by their peers. And to be honest I thing there are a lot of things that go into that other than our flag and what it means to some people. Go to the inner city of pretty much any large metropolitan area and you’re going to see the exact same thing goin on as you see in the heart of the Deep South. So I have a hard time saying that the current south and our current flag are solely to blame. In fact I’d say that the available avenues to success for black kids in particular are vast and highly available to the individuals wanting to take advantage. I could go on but I don’t wanna ruin the thread.

vCash
    Clarion Ledger has a poll offering about 4 designs. Current state flag has almost 75% of the vote.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Clarion Ledger has a poll offering about 4 designs. Current state flag has almost 75% of the vote.
    The problem with that poll is that the other 3 choices are going to spilt the vote.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    The problem with that poll is that No one reads the clarion ledger
    FIFY

Minor edit

vCash
    Not a great day for sources

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Not a great day for sources
    Another bad day for sources.

vCash
    Exactly, that’s why you can’t allow the general public to vote on this. Just change the damn thing