Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stars and bars will be fired tomorrow, Stennis is the new flag

vCash

Stars and bars will be fired tomorrow, Stennis is the new flag

Mississippi has a minimum of 84 state representatives willing to vote to change the flag tomorrow. All that is needed is 80 out of the 120 House of Representatives members. There will be no popular vote in November.

To recap: Confederacy will surrender for the second time tomorrow, Stennis is in on Thursday.
    Last edited by Bert Stare; 06-10-2020 at 05:53 AM. Reason: correction to wording

vCash
    Lol, I'll believe it when Grover breaks the news.*

vCash
    Head Coach Napier should be pleased.

vCash
    Oh no not this Bert Stare stuff again! Billy Napier will be next governor lol

vCash
    Honestly the current flag feels very ole missish to me. Like hanging a co-sec western division champs or a participation trophy while claiming a championship.

Not sure I have access to the political thread, but I hope it's fun!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Stare View Post
    Mississippi has a minimum of 84 state senators willing to vote to change the flag tomorrow. All that is needed is 80 out of the 120 senators. There will be no popular vote in November.

To recap: Confederacy will surrender for the second time tomorrow, Stennis is in on Thursday.
    Mississippi does not have 84 state senators. FWIW.

Banned
    vCash
    I'll allow it just so we can host championships. The only thing the stars and bars ever represented to me was them good ol Duke boys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyDawg View Post
    Honestly the current flag feels very ole missish to me. Like hanging a co-sec western division champs or a participation trophy while claiming a championship.

Not sure I have access to the political thread, but I hope it's fun!
    It's a losers flag; its a celebration of losing, sadly. Actually, its even worse than that....it was adopted in the 1890's, during the height of reconstruction anger, Jim Crow, and Lost Cause revisionism....in football terms, it would be like hanging a banner for a 0-12 season 30 years after the fact, insisting that every game was lost because the refs cheated, the other teams cheated, and you were just too proud to play by their rules. And by hanging said banner, though it was intended to be an embarrassment and reminder to everyone of how wronged you were, it instead affirms how ****ing retarded, small, and delusional you in fact are to the rest of the world...
    Last edited by BeardoMSU; 06-10-2020 at 12:18 AM.

vCash
    This is ALL I will say about the Mississippi flag. Mississippi State is the largest school in Mississippi. And one thing I have noticed is some schools like Arkansas when their football team runs out they run out with the state flag. With the Mississippi flag I don't feel like we can do that because the current one looks a lot like Ole Miss. It would be kind of like Alabama running out with an Auburn eagle or something. It would be cool if there was a state flag that MSU could run out with our football team that didn't look so Ole Miss-ish.

vCash
    Like I said, the nutjobs have taken over the site and it?s just done. Sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Like I said, the nutjobs have taken over the site and it?s just done. Sad.
    What's sad about losing a racist flag???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjax View Post
    Mississippi does not have 84 state senators. FWIW.
    I corrected the wording. Thanks for the help.

vCash
    Didn't you promise not to post again if you were wrong the last time?
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    You do realize that the Stars and Bars is not the Confederate flag that we think of? It is 7 stars in a circle on a blue background in the upper left hand corner with red white and red bars.

vCash
    I've never had strong feelings about it one way or the other, other than I usually have a very strong dislike for anyone who has strong feelings about it one way or the other.

Add to that, it's 2020 and I can agree that it's probably long overdue.

vCash
    I've often said that this is something that Bully Bloc should have gotten behind for some time now. We snuck out to play in the integrated NCAA's, we have the Grant Presidential library, this would just be one more thing in that progression that separates us from the University in this state that wraps itself in that era.

vCash
    IHL is low key giving the go ahead on June 18 or 19 to finally move the confederate monument at Ole Miss away from sight and into the backlot cemetery on campus. Apparently, this is being pushed hard by Lane Kiffin, as this is being used against him in recruiting kids to Ole Miss. If you had Lane Kiffin listed as the catalyst for destroying the confederacy at Ole Miss, then come claim your prize.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    It's a losers flag; its a celebration of losing, sadly. Actually, its even worse than that....it was adopted in the 1890's, during the height of reconstruction anger, Jim Crow, and Lost Cause revisionism....in football terms, it would be like hanging a banner for a 0-12 season 30 years after the fact, insisting that every game was lost because the refs cheated, the other teams cheated, and you were just too proud to play by their rules. And by hanging said banner, though it was intended to be an embarrassment and reminder to everyone of how wronged you were, it instead affirms how ****ing retarded, small, and delusional you in fact are to the rest of the world...
    Well said. ButI still think it should be a majority vote of the people.

vCash
    I do like the current flag, but not opposed to changing it. I am not a big fan of the Stennis flag. I think we could do something with one single star on a blue background in the upper left hand corner and having a 3 bars: Red, white and blue
    Last edited by fader2103; 06-10-2020 at 08:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fader2103 View Post
    I do like the current flag, but not opposed to changing it. I am not a big fan of the Stennis flag. I think we could do something with the Bonnie flag having that in the upper left hand corner and having a 3 bars: Red, white and blue
    So, you want to go from a flag inspired by the Confederate battle flag, to a flag that was raised over the State Capitol on the night they seceded from the Union?

he Bonnie Blue Flag resurfaced in Mississippi in 1861 when the state seceded from the Union and declared itself a sovereign and independent state. When the Secession Convention, which was meeting in the House chamber in the Mississippi capitol, approved the Ordinance of Secession on January 9, 1861, spectators in the balcony handed a Bonnie Blue Flag down to the delegates on the floor.

The appearance of that famous banner prompted a tumultuous response. Later that night, residents of Jackson paraded through the streets under the blue banner bearing a single white star. Harry McCarthy, a singer and playwright who observed the parade, was inspired to write The Bonnie Blue Flag, which, after Dixie, was the most popular song in the Confederacy.9
    http://mshistorynow.mdah.state.ms.us...er-mississippi
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18