Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stars and bars will be fired tomorrow, Stennis is the new flag

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    I think you need to go back and read my post. You misquoted me. I didn't say the flag wasn't racist. I was speaking of other issues that people say are racist but are not.
    I did not edit your quote.
    You said:

Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    If people consider it racist, fine, change it, just so long as people don't politicize the next "thing" and look for something to be racist and it really not be there.

I just asked how you would consider the flag not racist.

Since you said "some people consider it racist", and did not include yourself. If you do think it is racist, you can say so. But, so far, you have not.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    From a Republican strategic perspective, it seems pretty dangerous to put it on the ballot this November, as it forces Trump to take a position, which is a no-win scenario for him: either back the old one and lose WI/MI/PA/OH (and thus the election), or back the new one and hurt base enthusiasm, especially in swing states like GA/FL/NC. Why introduce a wedge issue that will split your base into two passionate camps?
    The only states he needs to worry about are MN/WI/MI/PA/FL. Maybe AZ. Any other states that swing back either way this go around signal a lost cause. It would be smart of republicans to push through this change and have trump support. He only needs to win FL or 2 of the midwest states listed to keep the presidency. The smart move is to pass this through and have Trump support it. The way this year is going for him, the flag will change and he'll call Tate Reeves a loser. Come up with some stupid nickname. And only drive support down across the board for himself.

You would think as we get closer to election and his odds are now that of an underdog he would play smarter. Biden is officially -105 and Trump is +100. First time Biden is favored over Trump. Almost like what he has been doing isn't working in his favor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Tate won't sign the bill.
    If Hoseman and Gunn get the votes to open a session, he'd be politically stupid to veto.

vCash
    Yes it was 20 years ago. The only reason most of yall dont want a vote is because you fear bot getting what you want which os complete horseshit. To be honest I dont care what the flag looks like. I do have a problem with the government making decisions for me.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    Yes it was 20 years ago. The only reason most of yall dont want a vote is because you fear bot getting what you want which os complete horseshit. To be honest I dont care what the flag looks like. I do have a problem with the government making decisions for me.
    They aren?t making a decision for you here; it would be made for the state.

Banned
    vCash
    What I want in Mississippi to not look like a "bunch of inbred racist idiots".

The fear here is that we would double down on our own stupidity. Again, you elect representatives to represent your state. You trust them to do the job because they are more qualified in it. That's why you voted them in. They are making a decision on how we want to represent Mississippi as a state.

Crying you don't have a say in the matter is like your family hiring a contractor to build multiple houses and being mad that you aren't voting on what is the best way to put up the frame of one of the houses. You hired the guy to do his job. Let him do it.

vCash
    Maybe the only good thing to come from 2020. It always reminded me of the landbearsharkrebals. I like the new design. Classy if you ask me. Time to move on.

vCash
    I'm all for changing the flag, but do any of you even know what the stars on the stennis flag stand for? Not the stars on the outside (which represent the states that came before MS), but the center star, which is intended to make the stennis flag an inverted Bonnie blue flag.

vCash
    1. I’m perfectly fine with changing the flag. From a PR standpoint it’d be a great move.

2. Funny that folks don’t want the people to vote because they think it wouldn’t pass...but do think elected officials would pass it. To me that goes against what they were elected for. (I think with a vote it’d have a good chance to pass)

3. This isn’t a one time deal. Once the flag is gone something else will come up as the new focus to label non biased folks as racist. But i still support changing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I'm all for changing the flag, but do any of you even know what the stars on the stennis flag stand for? Not the stars on the outside (which represent the states that came before MS), but the center star, which is intended to make the stennis flag an inverted Bonnie blue flag.
    Which is why they need to come up with something totally new, completely removed from the Confederacy. Perhaps something that celebrates the blues, magnolia, hospitality, etc.? Lots of options out there that would be cool.

vCash
    The first flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1861

The Second flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1861

The Third and current flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1894.

In 2001, the Mississippi Legislature were cowards and put it to a public referendum...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    The first flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1861

The Second flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1861

The Third and current flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1894.

In 2001, the Mississippi Legislature were cowards and put it to a public [and rigged] referendum...
    Added just a bit, but spot on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Added just a bit, but spot on.
    Increased the accuracy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    The inverted Bonnie Blue symbolizes how we're moving on from the mistakes from our past and doing the opposite now, or at least that's how I've heard it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    It's time to change the flag. I say this as a staunch conservative. It's time. The Stennis flag is fine. I could think of better flags that represent the state, but the Stennis one will do.
    I'm with you on this. Let's just rip the band aid off and do it. I've never cared one way or the other to be honest. The sooner we replace it the sooner the left can find something else that offends them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    What's sad about losing a racist flag???
    Just to clarify. First I don't really care what the flag is, it doesn't matter for the most part.

A flag is a thing and can't be racist. Getting rid of a flag or statue or whatever changes nothing about actual racism but does maybe change a perceived racism. Perceived racism is a big problem so from there it may help some things but based on past history I doubt it.

Lastly the resistance to change the flag is more about who is in charge or resisting someone else telling others what to do, think, etc. Powerplay if you will. I could say more but it is a waste of time.

vCash

Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    The inverted Bonnie Blue symbolizes how we're moving on from the mistakes from our past and doing the opposite now, or at least that's how I've heard it.
    After self-study in vexillology ? the art of flag design ? and a lot of erasing, Stennis settled on the circle-star design. The 20 stars represent Mississippi?s entry into the union as the 20th state; the blue star on the white background is an inversion of the white star on a blue field of ?Bonnie Blue Flag,? which was waved when the state seceded.
    ?I inverted it because I don?t celebrate that dark moment in our history, but it has to be acknowledged,? she said. Words from the mouth of the designer.

Somebody give this man a dog biscuit!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    1. I’m perfectly fine with changing the flag. From a PR standpoint it’d be a great move.

2. Funny that folks don’t want the people to vote because they think it wouldn’t pass...but do think elected officials would pass it. To me that goes against what they were elected for. (I think with a vote it’d have a good chance to pass)

3. This isn’t a one time deal. Once the flag is gone something else will come up as the new focus to label non biased folks as racist. But i still support changing it.
    I pretty much agree with you, especially point 2. The people's voice should be heard, period. On 3 as well, go ahead and change it, I don't care but it will not change anything. Our country is doomed at this point with the kind of thinking that is driving each move anyway. To just exist anymore is racist. There is no more logic anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGen View Post
    After self-study in vexillology ? the art of flag design ? and a lot of erasing, Stennis settled on the circle-star design. The 20 stars represent Mississippi?s entry into the union as the 20th state; the blue star on the white background is an inversion of the white star on a blue field of ?Bonnie Blue Flag,? which was waved when the state seceded.
    ?I inverted it because I don?t celebrate that dark moment in our history, but it has to be acknowledged,? she said. Words from the mouth of the designer.

Somebody give this man a dog biscuit!
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    I did not edit your quote.
    You said:

I just asked how you would consider the flag not racist.

Since you said "some people consider it racist", and did not include yourself. If you do think it is racist, you can say so. But, so far, you have not.
    Sorry but what you put in quotes in your first reply to me was not what I said. Secondly, yes, some people consider it racist and some people don't. I purposely spoke in general terms and chose not to include me on either side. But since you ask, I really don't have an opinion on whether it is racist or not. I'm pretty neutral on the matter. I can see where people would think it's racist. But on the flip side, just because someone(not me for clarity here) may want to keep the flag, that doesn't make them a racist. To me, racism lies in the heart of person. I may be a white person and have a neutral position on the flag, but that doesn't make me racist. I believe in treating everyone with the respect they deserve until they prove to me otherwise. A flag is not going to change who people are. It will only change some people's perception of MS. And that's fine with me. Like I said, I don't care either way. Because until true racists have a change of heart and race baiters, who find racism in everything, have a change of heart, nothing will actually change.