Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stars and bars will be fired tomorrow, Stennis is the new flag

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fader2103 View Post
    I do like the current flag, but not opposed to changing it. I am not a big fan of the Stennis flag. I think we could do something with the Bonnie flag having that in the upper left hand corner and having a 3 bars: Red, white and blue
    Was a Swastika was too" on the nose" for you?

The Bonnie Flag?

You wish to replace the Battle flag of the Army of North Virginia, with the flag each of the States the seceded first flew over the state houses....

You realize the point is to remove hate symbols from the state flag, correct? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bonnie_Blue_Flag

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Stare View Post
    Mississippi has a minimum of 84 state representatives willing to vote to change the flag tomorrow. All that is needed is 80 out of the 120 House of Representatives members. There will be no popular vote in November.

To recap: Confederacy will surrender for the second time tomorrow, Stennis is in on Thursday.
    They don't have the guts to vote it away. They will at most vote to put on the ballot.

vCash
    The people of ms should vote on the issue

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    They did. They voted in representatives who will help make decisions on how represent ourselves. If they've determined at this juncture that it's finally time for a change then they are doing their job to make sure Mississippi gets represented well.

vCash
    Why?

The legislature chose the flag in 1861(twice), and in 1894, why not today?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    They don't have the guts to vote it away. They will at most vote to put on the ballot.
    Getting word that even Tate Reeves does not want to put this on the ballot for popular vote. It would be a very close vote tally, and he would have be the scapegoat if the vote went in favor of the racists. The media shit storm of us voting as a population to keep the flag would hurt business for years to come.

He has basically said to Philip Gunn that if he can get the votes in the house that he will not stand in the way of changing the flag, nor push for a vote by the population. Delbert and Gunn are gonna make this happen today.

vCash
    Putting it to a popular vote would be bad for our state. You run the risk of people voting to keep the flag, which is really bad PR.

vCash
    I really don't care either way on the matter. If people consider it racist, fine, change it, just so long as people don't politicize the next "thing" and look for something to be racist and it really not be there. I'm really not the type to cower down to people who call things racist that really aren't(not referencing the flag because I could see where it may upset some people). So if changing the flag will truly help racial issues, then go right ahead. Me personally, I don't think it will. I think it's up to actual people making a concerted effort to treat people equally, and people have to stop claiming things are racist when truly they are not. A good example of this to me is the Leach tweet. I don't think in any way, shape or form that Leach was insinuating something racist. But some people want to inject racism into the matter. Until we as a people can see things for the way they actually are, not try to inject racism when it's not called for and people truly treat others with respect, we will never get over racism. Ever.
    Also, if the business aspect is being held back by the flag(like sports championships and post season play) then it needs to be changed for those reasons as well.

vCash
    This is one case where leaders need to lead. Get it done NOW.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Stare View Post
    Getting word that even Tate Reeves does not want to put this on the ballot for popular vote. It would be a very close vote tally, and he would have be the scapegoat if the vote went in favor of the racists. The media shit storm of us voting as a population to keep the flag would hurt business for years to come.

He has basically said to Philip Gunn that if he can get the votes in the house that he will not stand in the way of changing the flag, nor push for a vote by the population. Delbert and Gunn are gonna make this happen today.
    Has Reeves changed his mind? The few interviews I seen where it was discussed he wanted people to vote on it. I might begin to respect him a little if he grows a pair and does sign the bill if it passes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    I really don't care either way on the matter. If people consider it racist, fine, change it, just so long as people don't politicize the next "thing" and look for something to be racist and it really not be there. I'm really not the type to cower down to people who call things racist that really aren't(not referencing the flag because I could see where it may upset some people). So if changing the flag will truly help racial issues, then go right ahead. Me personally, I don't think it will. I think it's up to actual people making a concerted effort to treat people equally, and people have to stop claiming things are racist when truly they are not. A good example of this to me is the Leach tweet. I don't think in any way, shape or form that Leach was insinuating something racist. But some people want to inject racism into the matter. Until we as a people can see things for the way they actually are, not try to inject racism when it's not called for and people truly treat others with respect, we will never get over racism. Ever.
    Also, if the business aspect is being held back by the flag(like sports championships and post season play) then it needs to be changed for those reasons as well.
    How would you not consider the Battle flag of those that fought to continue Chattel Slavery, which is in fact the top reason listed in the Mississippi Secession Declaration, NOT Racist?

You don't have to "look for reason the flag is a racist symbol", it was created to be a Symbol of racists.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstatelp1 View Post
    Has Reeves changed his mind? The few interviews I seen where it was discussed he wanted people to vote on it. I might begin to respect him a little if he grows a pair and does sign the bill if it passes.
    He is a politician, so he is reading the tea leaves on this one. This is one he is willing to concede, mainly because Cindy Hyde Smith is losing ground to Espy, and this is a flashpoint where they can both act like they care about minorities.

vCash
    There is no controversy. Anything that is even a minor representation of past hatred, non-inclusion, and racism should be removed from modern society. History of that sort shouldn't be respected in any form. There is a long list of such things but discussing it would probably accelerate the locking of this thread.

Banned
    vCash
    Pretty simple. We don't support losers. It's one thing to outlaw the flag entirely. (I get why Germany did it with Nazis, but I don't like that slippery slope in that manner. Not with the way government in this country likes to play.) It's another to say that we simply are not supporting this in any capacity. We should not be supporting this flag like that.

vCash
    The current flag wasn't voted on, btw. The state just did it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    How would you not consider the Battle flag of those that fought to continue Chattel Slavery, which is in fact the top reason listed in the Mississippi Secession Declaration, NOT Racist?

You don't have to "look for reason the flag is a racist symbol", it was created to be a Symbol of racists.
    I think you need to go back and read my post. You misquoted me. I didn't say the flag wasn't racist. I was speaking of other issues that people say are racist but are not.

vCash
    Tate won't sign the bill.

vCash
    From a Republican strategic perspective, it seems pretty dangerous to put it on the ballot this November, as it forces Trump to take a position, which is a no-win scenario for him: either back the old one and lose WI/MI/PA/OH (and thus the election), or back the new one and hurt base enthusiasm, especially in swing states like GA/FL/NC. Why introduce a wedge issue that will split your base into two passionate camps?

vCash
    It's time to change the flag. I say this as a staunch conservative. It's time. The Stennis flag is fine. I could think of better flags that represent the state, but the Stennis one will do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Tate won't sign the bill.
    It will take a vetoproof majority just to get this on the legislative agenda, given the calendar. (According to the Mississippi Today article)

ETA: https://mississippitoday.org/2020/06...pi-state-flag/
    Last edited by Quaoarsking; 06-10-2020 at 11:23 AM.