Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Stack

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I think you have to throw Odom & Harris our there sporadically & let them swim or drown.
    So you're saying Harris is back? I'm good with it if true. And agree on the sink or swim part. These guys have to perform at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    So you're saying Harris is back? I'm good with it if true. And agree on the sink or swim part. These guys have to perform at some point.
    I'm afraid Harris is undersized. I've stood next to him and I remember thinking he wasn't as tall as listed. May be wrong though. I always thought he was better suited at LB

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Probably should've gone after a true DE in Juco for depth in this last class.
    Who knew we'd be running a 3-3-5 at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Yes!
    I expect Young & Love to be the backups unless Cooley is just a man from the jump.

vCash
    I'm afraid Harris is undersized. I've stood next to him and I remember thinking he wasn't as tall as listed. May be wrong though. I always thought he was better suited at LB
    Have to hope he's a Willie Evans type. We're talking about 3rd team reps from him so it's not much we're asking from him.

vCash
    I expect Young & Love to be the backups unless Cooley is just a man from the jump.
    Idk when he gets his shot, but he's a stud. He's not the tallest but he's quick.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I think you have to throw Odom & Harris our there sporadically & let them swim or drown.
    What do you think about King Ani? I hear almost nothing about him. He was a composite 4 star who was hurt during his redshirt year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    What do you think about King Ani? I hear almost nothing about him. He was a composite 4 star who was hurt during his redshirt year.
    He's just so raw.

vCash
    I don't doubt that you're right about him being undersized but I see him as a back-up role player mostly anyway.

I'm sure they will to start probably but I think Cooley has a much higher upside and I love his work ethic. I've found that a lot of times those people end up outworking and moving past those in front of them so it may be midseason by the time he is the primary back-up but I think it happens. Like Pickering last year.

He's just so raw.
    I agree. And then he got hurt on top of that which didn't help much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We have a big issue at the NT or 1, we have Pickering there , who might be better served at a 3. In a 4 man front. We are going to be versatile, the 3-3-5 will be a 4-2-5 depending on personnel. Losing Lovett hurts inside no matter how you slice it
    It wont necessarily be 5 DBs it will be hybrid types so in some cases it is really a 4-4-3 but 2 of those backers are Fred Peters/JP Purvis types. 3 true DL a Jack (stand up DE to the field probably) and 2 true ILBs

vCash
    Banks and Cooley can both play. They are better than Odom Harris and the kid from Louisville. Just my opinion.

If we get into the 3 safety look that Iowa St does, Auburn did it some last year as well, we are going to be the most unique team in the country and a headache to prepare for

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    It wont necessarily be 5 DBs it will be hybrid types so in some cases it is really a 4-4-3 but 2 of those backers are Fred Peters/JP Purvis types. 3 true DL a Jack (stand up DE to the field probably) and 2 true ILBs
    I feel like that's just semantics, they're still DB's. Peters, Purvis, Murphy, Morgan or whoever the strong/free safeties and "Bulldog"/nickel will be are safeties, not backers and against 11 personnel will be in coverage more than anything else.

I just don't see this being JLD-style, Cooper and Nelson at the LOS blitzing the QB or stuffing the run more than they are in coverage. Every team on our schedule will be 3 wide and we don't have the corners to go cover 0. If we are, we better lead the league in turnovers forced otherwise we're in huge trouble.

vCash
    Arnett and San Diego State were able to shut down people like UCLA and Hawaii who run spread stuff and in the case of UCLA has significantly more talent. San Diego State didn't have Alabama talent to work with. We won't be 2018 good or deep but I have a feeling we'll be Ok.