Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Stack

vCash

The Stack

The SEC is a whole new world but I feel pretty good with Arnett. Rocky Long is a stack OG so you know they have seen a lot and adjusted to a lot. Little known but Arnett did not call a lot of plays on defense at SDSU but there was a reason he was highly sought after.

I have played with it a little here and there and I am no SEC DC but IMO, if we ?break the stack? and be like Iowa St on defense we will be the most fun team to watch in the country. Joe Lee used to break the stack a lot, it allows you to get in multiple fronts not just the traditional 3-3 look. Some guys swear by that but I would be on the ISU model. If Arnett is a true stack guy then we will be pretty vanilla in the secondary but blitz a lot. Fred Peters and Marcus Murphy will be big time in this scheme and you heard it it here but Tre Lawson has a shot at All SEC honors. If we can find 2 NTs and Thompson be the 2017-2018 version we have a shot. The biggest thing is going to be can a freshman or juco guy besides Lawson be ready to go in September not November. The best player on the defense has to be your Sam LB and the dog safety. They are both going to have to do multiple things and line up in multiple positions. All 11 have to be good but if I could pick where I wanted to be the best I would pick those 2

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Jordan Davis is the Juco guy who will make the biggest impact IMO.

vCash
    Tre Lawson all sec??? Wow. That's out on a limb in a huge way... he might be out third best juco.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Tre Lawson all sec??? Wow. That's out on a limb in a huge way... he might be out third best juco.
    He is legit legit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Jordan Davis is the Juco guy who will make the biggest impact IMO.
    Between him and Lawson we could be really good at the S and Will backer spots. Both of them can put their hands down and play a 5 or wider tech too. We will need to find some 4i guys besides Jones and Spencer. I?m not sure Spencer is built for that tbh but he is one with SEC experience

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    He is legit legit
    I like your insight on stuff but no, he's not all sec. he's going to get thrown in the fire Bc we have no other choice. But he won't be all sec this year. And yes I've seen him

vCash
    We have a big issue at the NT or 1, we have Pickering there , who might be better served at a 3. In a 4 man front. We are going to be versatile, the 3-3-5 will be a 4-2-5 depending on personnel. Losing Lovett hurts inside no matter how you slice it

vCash
    Where will Crumedy play?

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyDawg View Post
    Where will Crumedy play?
    That will be interesting. I feel like he would be better suited to slim down and move to end in this defense but we need so much help at NT that he may be forced to play there. Of course with the loss of Russell we aren't stacked at end any more either. I read earlier in the year that Russell was going to be playing the OLB position (possibly) so maybe they feel comfortable with what they have at end. Who knows.

vCash
    Where will Crumedy play?
    I expect DE behind Spencer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    That will be interesting. I feel like he would be better suited to slim down and move to end in this defense but we need so much help at NT that he may be forced to play there. Of course with the loss of Russell we aren't stacked at end any more either. I read earlier in the year that Russell was going to be playing the OLB position (possibly) so maybe they feel comfortable with what they have at end. Who knows.
    Demonte was playing the Hybrid OLB spot that Davis & Lawson are playing. It's time for Aaron Odom to step up & be a 2 deep rotation player.

vCash
    I'm expecting us to have a year similar to 1996 when we first installed Joe Lee Dunn's defense. We may have some rough games here and there- we gave up 49 or something like that to Auburn and 30+ to La Tech in a game we lost to them- but I think as the year goes on we will see improvement- beat Alabama holding them to 16 and shut out Ole Miss in Oxford.

It all comes down to the JUCO guys once again for us. Hopefully they're more like 1998-1999-2017 and not like 2001. I think Davis is legit and Lawson will be solid. We may have to start Kyle Cass at safety but I think he is underrated. We have some freshmen that hopefully will help us out depth wise- Armondous Cooley on the DL, Janari Dean at DOG, Decamarion Richardson at S, and Emmanuel Forbes at CB. I'm not expecting any of those guys to start besides maybe Richardson. I'm just not sure that CJ Morgan will be healthy enough to play a lot this year.

We could maybe look at moving Lawson to DE for depth or in case Spencer or Jones struggle and then start Aaron Brule at EDGE/OLB. Personally I still think I would use Murphy at safety and not DOG because I think he is better in coverage than our other guys competing at that spot and I think we have more depth at DOG than safety plus DOG is an easier position to fill IMO. Especially is JP Purvis is healthy. Tyrus Wheat could start at EDGE/OLB too- we need to get him on the field as much as possible.

vCash
    Demonte was playing the Hybrid OLB spot that Davis & Lawson are playing. It's time for Aaron Odom to step up & be a 2 deep rotation player.
    I agree on Odom. He was very productive in high school and I'm not sure why it hasn't translated to college.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I bet we roll with Cameron Young and Cooley at the NT spot for this year at least.

vCash
    Where will Crumedy play?
    I know he was a redshirt freshman last year but he seemed to stay hurt. It might have only been the perception.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I bet we roll with Cameron Young and Cooley at the NT spot for this year at least.
    You mean as backups?

vCash
    I forgot Odom was on the team. Yeah, we need him to step up in a big way. We really don't have anyone else behind K. Jones and Spencer. I feel good about Crumedy even though he's a little heavy. I don't think King Ani will be ready in time. Jack Harris has his issues. Any chance Jevon Banks plays some? That's scary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I forgot Odom was on the team. Yeah, we need him to step up in a big way. We really don't have anyone else behind K. Jones and Spencer. I feel good about Crumedy even though he's a little heavy. I don't think King Ani will be ready in time. Jack Harris has his issues. Any chance Jevon Banks plays some? That's scary.
    I think you have to throw Odom & Harris our there sporadically & let them swim or drown.

vCash
    I think you have to throw Odom & Harris our there sporadically & let them swim or drown.
    Probably should've gone after a true DE in Juco for depth in this last class.

vCash
    You mean as backups?
    Yes!