Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Found Shavers' Only Catch Last Year For Alabama

vCash

I Found Shavers' Only Catch Last Year For Alabama

Fast forward to the 12:05 mark of this video.

CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Nice catch and also had some nice blocks.

vCash
    It's RAW talent and untapped potential at this point by my gosh, the intangibles and physical tools are just freakish and what WR coaches dream of.

We're really about to have a 6'6" 215 lb WR who was a former top 100 recruit, who runs a verified 4.38 forty. Add to it Caleb Ducking, not as talented there's no debate there but also a 6'4"-6'5" 200-210 WR who also runs in the 4.4's at that size. Both guys are super raw but damn at those measurables. I'm just pumped it's THIS staff that gets to try and unlock their potential and try to get the most out of these guys rather than the previous staff (& yes I understand we would have never gotten Shavers with the previous staff, I'm just saying). I'm very excited to see what Spurrier Jr. can do with Shavers especially.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    It's RAW talent and untapped potential at this point by my gosh, the intangibles and physical tools are just freakish and what WR coaches dream of.

We're really about to have a 6'6" 215 lb WR who was a former top 100 recruit, who runs a verified 4.38 forty. Add to it Caleb Ducking, not as talented there's no debate there but also a 6'4"-6'5" 200-210 WR who also runs in the 4.4's at that size. Both guys are super raw but damn at those measurables. I'm just pumped it's THIS staff that gets to try and unlock their potential and try to get the most out of these guys rather than the previous staff (& yes I understand we would have never gotten Shavers with the previous staff, I'm just saying). I'm very excited to see what Spurrier Jr. can do with Shavers especially.
    I agree.

I also wonder if when guys get buried on the depth chart at Bama, it demotivates them to some degree.

I'm hopeful that this transfer will give Shaver's a spark & he'll thrive in Leach's offense.

No doubt that Leach is good at taking guys like this & getting them going.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    not sure if the tone of this OP was to be negative, but I look as though this guy only had one catch last year and he practiced all year behind the best WRs in the conference. Along with getting instructions from some of the best coaches in the nation. Sure he didn't get a shot, but he was playing behind some of the absolute best WRs in the country. Maybe an opportunity to catch 80 balls will change his focus and bring out the best in his abilities.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    not sure if the tone of this OP was to be negative, but I look as though this guy only had one catch last year and he practiced all year behind the best WRs in the conference. Along with getting instructions from some of the best coaches in the nation. Sure he didn't get a shot, but he was playing behind some of the absolute best WRs in the country. Maybe an opportunity to catch 80 balls will change his focus and bring out the best in his abilities.
    Yeah, that's the million dollar question. What's wrong with him that caused him to only catch 1 ball?

My theory: He was obvious buried behind 1st rounders on the depth chart & didn't get to play much.

However, why then, with all the blow outs Bama had, did he only catch 1 ball?

After talking with someone yesterday that knows Shavers, they said he is a very smart kid but is a long strider & that limits his route tree.

So my guess is that since he only played when Bama was blowing someone out & really only ran deep routes for them, Bama just didn't go deep often when blowing teams out & that more than anything limited his catches

vCash
    What is exciting about Shavers is that he played in every game for Bama last year (special teams)

So this isn't a work ethic or attitude problem

vCash
    One of the YouTube videos from a Bama site on Shavers transferring mentioned that Shavers and Mac Jones had developed some chemistry and camaraderie and had been tearing it up in practices together last year. So they were surprised he hadn't gotten on the field more at WR. But again, when you have Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, Smith, and Metchie all at the same time, I take that with a little grain of salt. Sure, I'd like for him to have more garbage time stats just to have more to look at but his intangibles and potential are good enough for me to take a shot on him. It's on Spurrier Jr. to get it out of him. He's gonna get the actual opportunities now, he just has to come in hungry and ready to work & like Shotgun said, he played ST in every game and Saban doesn't just stick any warm body out there for that so work ethic and attitude shouldn't be a problem.

vCash
    One of the YouTube videos from a Bama site on Shavers transferring mentioned that Shavers and Mac Jones had developed some chemistry and camaraderie and had been tearing it up in practices together last year. So they were surprised he hadn't gotten on the field more at WR. But again, when you have Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, Smith, and Metchie all at the same time, I take that with a little grain of salt. Sure, I'd like for him to have more garbage time stats just to have more to look at but his intangibles and potential are good enough for me to take a shot on him. It's on Spurrier Jr. to get it out of him. He's gonna get the actual opportunities now, he just has to come in hungry and ready to work & like Shotgun said, he played ST in every game and Saban doesn't just stick any warm body out there for that so work ethic and attitude shouldn't be a problem.
    Saban has had very few tall WRs be successful. Julio was really good, but he's the freak of all freaks. Saban value route running & quickness, which he should, & he can recruit to get exactly what he wants.

vCash
    I wonder how many targets he had in relation to catches. If that was his only target of the season and he caught it (which was thrown a little over and behind him) then that is a really good sign. If he was targeted 20 times and caught 1 then...ehhhh.

vCash
    I didn't realize his 14 yard rush was against us last year lol. Might be able to find a clip of it in some highlights on YT from that game.

vCash
    Here was Shaver's situation

Slade Bolden is a 5'11" slot guy & Metchie is a 6'0" slot guy.

Bama just didn't throw much to any of the non-1st rounders.

vCash
    I didn't realize his 14 yard rush was against us last year lol. Might be able to find a clip of it in some highlights on YT from that game.
    Fast forward to the 24:30 mark of this video. He's number 14. They also throw an incomplete pass on the drive.

vCash
    The more I kind of dig here on Shavers, the more I believe he just didn't get opportunities at Bama.

Bama really only threw to the 1st rounders & then Saban just runs out the clock by running the ball.

vCash
    According to Steve R. Great straight line speed. Not great routes/cuts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    You needed Steve to tell you that?

He's basically a more talented version of O'Neal Wilder & I'm completely OK with that.

If he can stretch the safeties & create more room for Leach's mesh routes to work over the middle with Mitchell, Payton, & Heath, then it's going to be great for our offense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Tell him to run a vertical and let Costello get it to him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Tell him to run a vertical and let Costello get it to him
    Or take the safety with him & let Mitchell, Heath, & Payton tear up the mesh routes.

We haven't ever had a deep threat like this.

vCash
    Can you imagine what it's going to be like from the 25-30 yd line and RZ situations when you have an actual physical 6'6" 215 WR (not a shot at Mitchell but he's not physical enough in those type situations) and a QB as accurate as Costello?

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Can you imagine what it's going to be like from the 25-30 yd line and RZ situations when you have an actual physical 6'6" 215 WR (not a shot at Mitchell but he's not physical enough in those type situations) and a QB as accurate as Costello?
    Do we know if Shavers is more physical than Osirus?