Thread: OT: Red Tail Hawk stalking our yard

vCash

OT: Red Tail Hawk stalking our yard

Does anyone have experience with an aggressive hawk in your yard? We have a hawk in our neighborhood that seems to have recently become more aggressive and is not afraid of people. It?s coming into our back yard to hunt even with my family outside. I understand it?s nature, but they shouldn?t typically fly down 10 feet away from my kids to pick up a baby bird that fell out of its nest from a hedge bush, should they? It came so close to us that we heard it?s wings as it flew by. In the past week, we?ve seen it carry off a snake and a chipmunk in our back yard (I have zero issue with it getting either), but we have had 2 outdoor cats to mysteriously disappear in the past 6 months too. Just yesterday, it was perched on a sun chair in our back yard just hanging out it seemed. We have an somewhat open back yard (about an acre) with scattered trees, and I think this thing has decided to make it his perfect hunting ground.
    I?d like to get a puppy, but am afraid he will snatch it too, even if we are outside with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildDawg View Post
    Does anyone have experience with an aggressive hawk in your yard? We have a hawk in our neighborhood that seems to have recently become more aggressive and is not afraid of people. It?s coming into our back yard to hunt even with my family outside. I understand it?s nature, but they shouldn?t typically fly down 10 feet away from my kids to pick up a baby bird that fell out of its nest from a hedge bush, should they? It came so close to us that we heard it?s wings as it flew by. In the past week, we?ve seen it carry off a snake and a chipmunk in our back yard (I have zero issue with it getting either), but we have had 2 outdoor cats to mysteriously disappear in the past 6 months too. Just yesterday, it was perched on a sun chair in our back yard just hanging out it seemed. We have an somewhat open back yard (about an acre) with scattered trees, and I think this thing has decided to make it his perfect hunting ground.
    I?d like to get a puppy, but am afraid he will snatch it too, even if we are outside with it.
    Can you discharge a shotgun where you live? Or perhaps a 22LR with a suppressed load (really quiet)...

If not, put a tall post in the ground and set a No. 1 Trap on it... It works for owls, allegedly... dunno if a hawk will fall for it...

Keep in mind, killin' birds of prey isn't legal most places.

"It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Funny you should start a thread about birds of prey. Last year we had a pair of Golden Eagles build a nest in a nearby oak. I would come home and sit on the back patio with binoculars and watch them I could tell they had little ones and were feeding it or them. I kinda forgot about them or have at least gotten used to them. I woke up yesterday morning and looked out the bedroom window to see three eagles in my back yard. One adult was perched on the fence watching but the other two were on the ground attacking something. The adult would fly up a few feet and attack something, pick it up and start to fly away, circle back and drop whatever in front of the little one. It would fly up on the fence with the other adult and watch the half grown eagle mock what it had just seen. I got my binoculars and finally determined that they had caught a squirrel, removed it’s head, tail and legs to use for the little one to hunt. This went on for about 30 minutes. I wanted to go outside and film it but I figured I’d get busted so I just watched out the window.

vCash
    Coyotes could have gotten your cats so if you get a puppy, don't let him out alone at night.

vCash
    I have seen hawks on a power line behind my house occasionally. From time to time they swoop down and take out a dove. I have found piles of dove feathers in the back yard before. I saw one hit a dove about 8 feet off the ground one time. If you have ever seen the video of when Randy Johnson hit the bird with a pitch, that is what it looked like. Feathers flew.

vCash
    Don't trap the bird Tusk you will get a heavy fine.

vCash
    Send the hawk to my yard. I would love to have him. Plenty of squirrels to feed on.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Maybe call your local game warden and see what they recommend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Don't trap the bird Tusk you will get a heavy fine.
    Yeah, I said it was "illegal" and "allegedly"...

to wit, therefore, et al.....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    It'll be gone soon enough. Until then, I would just enjoy it. Most of what it's looking for is small nuisance critters that you don't want in your yard anyway. I'd definitely keep small pets inside until it's gone though.

Wish we had a hawk in our neighborhood to help get rid of the friggin rabbits.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    If my neighbors knew how many squirrels I have eradicated this quarantine season, they’d start calling me The Hawk.

vCash
    Feed it mole crickets soaked in Dale’s. Works every time.**

vCash
    We had a Sharpie hanging around a few years ago. I took advantage and got some really cool pictures.

vCash
    Maybe not an option but a goose will keep hawks away. A lot of people that raise free range chickens will keep a goose with them for protection.

vCash
    Had a pair raise 2 chicks in our suburban yard several years ago.
    It was fascinating. Mom was shy, dad and kids were more like a robin in temperament.

A big rabbit is about as large a prey as they went after.
    Mom killed one in our front yard and had trouble getting off the ground with it.
    I tried to see how close she'd let me get with it. A Red Tail screech from 15ft is loud.

As for small dogs and cats, I don't think they are in much danger from a Red Tail or Cooper's.
    Now a big owl is a different story.
    "Staple prey (excluding invertebrates) has been claimed to weigh from 15 to 2,114 g (0.033 to 4.661 lb)"

Unless you are Native American don't get caught with feathers. Hefty fine.

vCash
    This past Monday, I saw a hawk catch a snake in the yard. I hope it stays around.