Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rewatching 2018 Kansas State game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    To add, I think Joe was/is overenamoured with playmaking potential, which is an extremely sharp contrast to Dan who valued consistency over explosiveness. Both Sophomore Kylin over Aeris and Guidry over guys who could be trusted to catch the ball are examples of that.
    One thing I like a lot about Leach is he likes to make sure as many guys contribute and get touches as possible. I don't disagree that Joe was enamored with playmaking potential but I prefer that over Dan's style. The problem with Joe is he wasn't creative enough to get our true top five guys on the field or disciplined enough to get a guy like Guidry to perform by sitting him for dropping passes. Dan made it a lot harder on us by not using guys like Holloway properly and starting guys on both sides of the ball that shouldn't have been playing as much. Both were flawed. Ultimately I don't care who starts- but I do want our best and most productive players starting. I don't believe that has happened since 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Can we say that Jackie's '99 offense may have been more effective (not really better) than Moorheads cluster? Such a waste of talent on that offense under Moorhead.
    Moorhead's offense actually finished middle of the SEC last year. And no- garbage time didn't have a lot to do with it. The thing is I think that's pretty encouraging because it tells me that we have some talent. And that's not to say that we couldn't have been better because we could have.

Jackie should have played Dicenzo and Dontae more in 1999. Would have saved me on some cardiology bills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Aeris got screwed as badly as just about any MSU football player I can remember. Sat the bench b/c of Mullen being so hard core about blocking assignments and doing the little things when he was the only legit SEC RB on the roster, then sat the bench behind a guy that didn't pass block and do the little things b/c he was slightly less explosive.

And I think you are inflating the difference between Hill and Aeres. Aeres was like Dicenzo Miller and Ballard. He was both better than his athleticism would predice like Miller b/c he always fell forward and was good at finding seems, and he was also more athletic/explosive than he looked like Ballard (although still not as explosive as Ballard obviously). Not saying Hill won't be better if he is as committed to pass blocking, but I don't think the difference is as big as some people think.
    Completely agree with all of this, especially the bolded.