Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet service in rural areas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    I cut the cord this year. I was paying $145 for dish... Plus Netlix at $17 Plus Starz for $9 so that's $171 from programming

Now, I pay $25 a month for an online service called Pixel and with other free streaming services that have ads... The programming selection is waaaay more than I had with Dish. I also opted to go back to Netflix but the single TV options for $8 rather than the premium service that was $17. We did not use it.

I am saving over $130 a month TV programming... that was worth it to me. Plus, I have way more programming. The only draw back is you must have good internet and it has to be true unlimited service that does not slow down once you use so much data like Cspire.

I went with ATT and the cradle point, which is $35 a month. I was paying $70 for an ATT DSL land line and just my house. I now have internet at both my properties for the same thing I was paying for one.

I will be looking for better internet options as soon as they are available, especially at the lake property but I love this netgear router. It reaches outside, my whole house and can serve more devices that I could ever hook up. My download speeds just won't let me watch HD up there and that will be a problem come football season.
    How do you hook up with Cradlepoint? I thought they were business only?

vCash
    Does anyone know which company ran the fiber down 84? It’s been about a year and I know it was ran at least from Brookhaven to Laurel. It’s 300 yards or so from my house but not available.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Meh. It's $90/mo. Not cheap, but not terrible, considering. Worth it to me to keep everything moving fast. Netflix, working from home, kids gaming systems, wife working from home, wifi cameras, doorbell, thermostat, roomba, security system, phones, tablets, etc. 40 mbps just isn't what it used to be. 1 GB keeps everything moving smoothly.
    I was speaking install cost for isp companies to rural communities. Its a no brainer to add it to your house if available even at 300 dollars install cost. It is awesome.

Once SpaceX launches its last starlink payload 1574 satelites, the entire world is going to have amazing internet service options at 200 dollars per receiver plus a monthly fee. Latency from NY to London will be reduced down to 42 ms and Starlink will make 30 billion a year just from private trading networks for the world's largest exchanges.

It will be a source of money that will make SpaceX even better funded than NASA was in the 60s. All his private money. Crazy how that dude takes his money and does amazing things with it.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    And some people want to shit on his ideas, like Neil Armstrong and Neil deGrass Tyson. Dude is literally putting all of his money where his mouth is. Tesla is in the black, SpaceX just launched people to the ISS, Tesla battery system in Australia was built in 3 months and has already paid for itself as of yesterday, solarcity has helped lower solar generation per kw/h cost dramatically along with other ventures, and he made all of his motor designs publicly available to every company in the world to help get electric going. Dude literally designed a rocket who's 1st stage lands itself on either land or a barge. A flippin barge.

Sure he does some crazy shit sometimes, but the dude is thinking outside the box at every turn. And then does it.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    I was speaking install cost for isp companies to rural communities. Its a no brainer to add it to your house if available even at 300 dollars install cost. It is awesome.

Once SpaceX launches its last starlink payload 1574 satelites, the entire world is going to have amazing internet service options at 200 dollars per receiver plus a monthly fee. Latency from NY to London will be reduced down to 42 ms and Starlink will make 30 billion a year just from private trading networks for the world's largest exchanges.

It will be a source of money that will make SpaceX even better funded than NASA was in the 60s. All his private money. Crazy how that dude takes his money and does amazing things with it.
    Gotcha. Yeah, I wish he would take starlink public so I could put as much as I can afford into it. It would be the easiest money you could ever make in investing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    Gotcha. Yeah, I wish he would take starlink public so I could put as much as I can afford into it. It would be the easiest money you could ever make in investing.
    seriously. Starlink is about to make some serious, serious money once they get the setup complete. it also only cost 10 billion dollars to get it all installed. Fiber for 5g is figured to be 120 billion to install. That 120 number may be only for the US market, not to mention the rest of the world.

Starlink has the opportunity to become one of the largest companies in the entire world, and it is all private.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I’ve never seen anything like this. I filed a complaint with the FCC. AT&T “supervisor” (yeah sure) called me Friday afternoon. She acted like she was in a hurry so she could get technical support to call me right back!!!! Well, it’s Sunday evening. I still haven’t heard from anyone or had a technician show up. Over two weeks now with no internet. I was told last week there are outages in the area. My neighbor has this fixed wireless and she has no issues at all with hers. She got hers almost a year after I got mine installed and her dish points north while mine points west. WTF?!?!?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonBelle View Post
    How do you hook up with Cradlepoint? I thought they were business only?
    There was a place in Tupelo that sold it as a package deal. Cox Firesticks... across from the Walmart in Tupelo on West Main. He just sells the equipment and services, you are mostly on your own to get it running. He will help talk you through it though.

I set it all up with them, internet, TV package and equipment. This is by no means an endorsement for them, I am not perfectly satisfied but I am saving money every month. If i can't get that internet going at the lake by this football season I will be pissed but it works great at my house. I think I even have NFL Sunday Ticket.. we shall see.