Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet service in rural areas

vCash

Internet service in rural areas

What y?all got?? I had AT&T fixed wireless and it was ok when it would work but it didn?t work half the time. I finally told them after a no show/no call service appointment to come get their equipment off my house. I?m looking to switch from Direct Tv after 26 years to Dish since they are owned by AT&T now. They?ve treated us poorly for our loyalty. Anyway, I?m getting Verizon MiFi with unlimited data but I don?t know how that?s gonna work out for everyone in the house. I was gonna check into some of the satellite internet options like Viasat, Hughesnet, etc...
    Any recommendations, experiences, thought????
    We use internet like everyone else without streaming tv. Alarm system, watching videos, etc. My son has to upload vids to different sites and he needs to go live on radio stations Facebook pages from time to time so I need reliable service.

I know this will get moved but there aren?t sports right now and we?re about to eat each other over these other topics!!!

vCash
    We have AT&T "high speed". It's bullshit and the ONLY thing offered in our area. Satellite and cell based broadband service still has a long way to go...it's not that much better than AT&T's DSL.

We are hoping and praying that our electric power co-op will speed up through process of fiber internet with a grant. Anyone falling in the Monroe County Power footprint will be getting fiber optic cable over the next two years. 500 mb - 1 Gb connection. I can't wait!

vCash
    I have ATT fixed wireless. It gave me problems for the first month, so I filed an FCC complaint. ATT called, and boom, it's worked well since

vCash
    I hear both of you ... I have DTV and WiFi / Internet bundled and was told it was the fastest thing on the market - it sucks ... thinking about Dish but I've heard it takes way to long for uploads ... what's an old country boy to do ?
    and not to mention my bill went from $95 to $180 ..... something's gonna give even if I have to go back to reading news papers
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    It won't help you right now, but Starlink is supposed to start beta testing in northern latitudes in the next couple months. Hopefully it'll cover all the lower 48 by this time next year.
    https://www.starlink.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MStateDawg View Post
    It won't help you right now, but Starlink is supposed to start beta testing in northern latitudes in the next couple months. Hopefully it'll cover all the lower 48 by this time next year.
    https://www.starlink.com/
    Any word on pricing and data limits yet?

vCash
    I use AT&T wireless internet at my house in Webster Co... I have tested it and I get a download of a low of 14mbs and as high as 20. My uploads are slower 10 to 18

I use a cradlepoint data receiver with no outside antenna along with a netgear router.

I have tried the same setup at my lake property up in New Albany but it's down in a bowl and my cell service stinks. The best I can get up there is 5 mbs and usually under 4 and that's with an outside Yagi antenna setup.

I am clearing some trees out trying to get a clear line of sight to the sky in the tower direction. They say that Yagi antenna has to have a clear line of sight to the sky to work properly.

I watch HD at home fairly well... still a little spotty but Netflix and Amazon aren't as demanding. They seem to always work.

vCash
    deleted
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Any word on pricing and data limits yet?
    No, they haven?t announced and of the subscription details publicly.

FYI, there?s another SpaceX launch scheduled for tonight with another 60 Starlink satellites. They?ve started sending up several batches per month.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    What y?all got?? I had AT&T fixed wireless and it was ok when it would work but it didn?t work half the time. I finally told them after a no show/no call service appointment to come get their equipment off my house. I?m looking to switch from Direct Tv after 26 years to Dish since they are owned by AT&T now. They?ve treated us poorly for our loyalty. Anyway, I?m getting Verizon MiFi with unlimited data but I don?t know how that?s gonna work out for everyone in the house. I was gonna check into some of the satellite internet options like Viasat, Hughesnet, etc...
    Any recommendations, experiences, thought????
    We use internet like everyone else without streaming tv. Alarm system, watching videos, etc. My son has to upload vids to different sites and he needs to go live on radio stations Facebook pages from time to time so I need reliable service.

I know this will get moved but there aren?t sports right now and we?re about to eat each other over these other topics!!!
    We have ATT fiber (1 GB). It's awesome, but it does seem to drop out a for a second or two here and there. If they could fix that, I would have zero complaints.

ETA: Oh, and I have Dish. I just don't bundle my TV and Internet. I've had Dish for probably 12 years and I've never paid more than $90/mo. I'm willing to pay a little more for what I like. I'm just not one of those people that gets a thrill out of saving $20 or $30 a month on these things.
    Last edited by PMDawg; 06-03-2020 at 12:23 PM.

vCash
    I can hook up to 5 on my Verizon hot spot and it really works well, even live streaming.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Satellite internet are all as terrible as it gets. Terrible upload and download speeds. It is one reason I live in town. Until Elon musk gets all his satelites in space, there will not be a good answer for rural internet quality.

Wish I had some better info for you, but good high quality internet is unfortunately not really a reality in rural areas. The numbers don't look good for the future either.

If you do get fiber, you are in business.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    We have AT&T "high speed". It's bullshit and the ONLY thing offered in our area. Satellite and cell based broadband service still has a long way to go...it's not that much better than AT&T's DSL.

We are hoping and praying that our electric power co-op will speed up through process of fiber internet with a grant. Anyone falling in the Monroe County Power footprint will be getting fiber optic cable over the next two years. 500 mb - 1 Gb connection. I can't wait!
    ^^^This can?t get here fast enough!! We live in Hamilton. I tried both Verizon and ATT MiFi, both were nonfunctional. The Cspire signal is spotty at best out here. We now have Hughes Net, which is complete dog shit. On top of the service being bad, I have to pay $97/ month for said dog shit. Does anyone have any experience with the LTE WiFi used in GM vehicles. I just got my wife a new Acadia that is equipped, And wondered if that was an option.

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    We have Viasat and it's horrible. Hard limits and even then speeds are horrible. We pay $200 a month for basically dial up speeds. Hughesnet is even worse. Our local electric company is rolling out fiber to our area soon and I hope it's an improvement. I'm just thankful Hulu and Netflix allow for downloads or we wouldn't be able to watch anything without Dish or Directv.
    Last edited by Vandownbytheriver; 06-03-2020 at 09:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    We have ATT fiber (1 GB). It's awesome, but it does seem to drop out a for a second or two here and there. If they could fix that, I would have zero complaints.

ETA: Oh, and I have Dish. I just don't bundle my TV and Internet. I've had Dish for probably 12 years and I've never paid more than $90/mo. I'm willing to pay a little more for what I like. I'm just not one of those people that gets a thrill out of saving $20 or $30 a month on these things.
    I cut the cord this year. I was paying $145 for dish... Plus Netlix at $17 Plus Starz for $9 so that's $171 from programming

Now, I pay $25 a month for an online service called Pixel and with other free streaming services that have ads... The programming selection is waaaay more than I had with Dish. I also opted to go back to Netflix but the single TV options for $8 rather than the premium service that was $17. We did not use it.

I am saving over $130 a month TV programming... that was worth it to me. Plus, I have way more programming. The only draw back is you must have good internet and it has to be true unlimited service that does not slow down once you use so much data like Cspire.

I went with ATT and the cradle point, which is $35 a month. I was paying $70 for an ATT DSL land line and just my house. I now have internet at both my properties for the same thing I was paying for one.

I will be looking for better internet options as soon as they are available, especially at the lake property but I love this netgear router. It reaches outside, my whole house and can serve more devices that I could ever hook up. My download speeds just won't let me watch HD up there and that will be a problem come football season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    I can hook up to 5 on my Verizon hot spot and it really works well, even live streaming.
    Is it unlimited? If not, what is the plan you use?

Four County is balking and trying their hardest not to offer the broadband fiber in their footprint. What a shame that they won't help their many rural customers. There is federal money available for this if only they would apply for it NOW before it runs out.

vCash
    TV programming, YoutubeTV for the win. No doubt about it. Unless you choose to live away from society and have terrible internet.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Fiber cost way too.mich money to install and maintain than the number of citizens it would serve. To make it worth it, they would have to charge you to make up the density requirement for it to be at least break even. I doubt you want to pay for 10 houses needed for your 10 acre property to make it break even.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Fiber cost way too.mich money to install and maintain than the number of citizens it would serve. To make it worth it, they would have to charge you to make up the density requirement for it to be at least break even. I doubt you want to pay for 10 houses needed for your 10 acre property to make it break even.
    Meh. It's $90/mo. Not cheap, but not terrible, considering. Worth it to me to keep everything moving fast. Netflix, working from home, kids gaming systems, wife working from home, wifi cameras, doorbell, thermostat, roomba, security system, phones, tablets, etc. 40 mbps just isn't what it used to be. 1 GB keeps everything moving smoothly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I have ATT fixed wireless. It gave me problems for the first month, so I filed an FCC complaint. ATT called, and boom, it's worked well since
    I’m gonna have to go this route I guess. I called AT&T back and spoke with a supervisor. The supervisor apologized of course and assured me that they would replace my equipment and reposition my antenna if they found a better tower reading. Well, sat here all morning again and now they’ve stood me up twice in one week for scheduled service. Totally unacceptable. AT&T is the absolute worst company I’ve ever had to deal with. I didn’t know so many incompetent people could all work for the same company.