Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyrell Shavers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    That's a little presumptive. I want Shavers on the roster too but let's not act like we know what we're getting. He's been in college 3yrs played 2 & has 1 Catch. He has all the measurables but he's proven nothing so far so thinking he'd be our #1 WR Is ambitious to say the least.
    I’m with you IYOK. I wouldn’t have unrealistic expectations if we sign him. I wouldn’t expect Day 1 when he got on campus for him to be guaranteed 70+ catches or something like that. But like you said, his measurables and potential are through the roof and I’d love to see if Spurrier can be the one to unlock that potential on the field because he’d have the easiest path to tons of snaps and targets here. Just a case where you don’t know exactly what you’re getting but you love the potential upside and would love to see what he can do here rather than somewhere else.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    That's a little presumptive. I want Shavers on the roster too but let's not act like we know what we're getting. He's been in college 3yrs played 2 & has 1 Catch. He has all the measurables but he's proven nothing so far so thinking he'd be our #1 WR Is ambitious to say the least.
    I agree, but at the same time I'm not sure if Michael Crabtree would've played much for Bama at WR over the past 2 years.

At very least, he'll provide a weapon that should help open up other players. At best, Leach's simplified offense & consistent chances will offer him a chance to develop into a top 2 round caliber player.

Here is the most recent video of him. A physical freak that we really haven't had at MSU since......

CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I agree, but at the same time I'm not sure if Michael Crabtree would've played much for Bama at WR over the past 2 years.

At very least, he'll provide a weapon that should help open up other players. At best, Leach's simplified offense & consistent chances will offer him a chance to develop into a top 2 round caliber player.

Here is the most recent video of him. A physical freak that we really haven't had at MSU since......

Crabtree would've challenged Jeudy for the #1 WR at Bama the last 2yrs. He was clearly better than Smith, Ruggs, & Waddell. Again I'd be glad to have Shavers & think we have a very good shot at getting him but let's not make him something he's not. At least not yet. Let him at least get to 2 career catches.

vCash
    Shavers is not proven, but neither is pretty much any other receiver on our roster. Our WR?s have been the worst in the SEC the last three years and we return exactly two receivers who had double digit receptions last year.

We are about to throw it 50 times every game to a crop of receivers who have proven virtually nothing at the college level. Some guys will without doubt have way bigger years than they?ve ever had before, but Shavers has as good of a chance as anybody to be a big contributor here.

vCash
    I just really like the fact that he’s immediately eligible so he’d be able to get going this year in the Air Raid system with KJ but would also have 2021 to continue building on what he could do this season. So if he starts to develop and unlocks some of that potential on the field this year then he could really explode in 2021. And in 2021, that’d give us Heath, Shavers, and Ducking on the outside with Tulu, Walley, Harvey, & then freshmen Knox and hopefully Nabers on the inside. That outside group would be pretty dang good and would have tons of length and speed. 2021 could be the most offensive weapons we’ve had in quite some time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Shavers is not proven, but neither is pretty much any other receiver on our roster. Our WR?s have been the worst in the SEC the last three years and we return exactly two receivers who had double digit receptions last year.

We are about to throw it 50 times every game to a crop of receivers who have proven virtually nothing at the college level. Some guys will without doubt have way bigger years than they?ve ever had before, but Shavers has as good of a chance as anybody to be a big contributor here.
    Agree.

Mitchell
    Heath
    Shavers
    Peyton
    Hill
    Costello

That's a good many weapons. The most we've had since 2014

If we got Shaver, we'd really only be missing that quick, Wes Welker type slot guy that Leach always dominates with. Teddy Knox will be that guy soon

vCash
    Agree.

Mitchell
    Heath
    Shavers
    Peyton
    Hill
    Costello

If we got Shaver, we'd really only be missing that quick, Wes Welker type slot guy that Leach always dominates with. Teddy Knox will be that guy soon
    2021 (*if we get Shavers):

Shrader/Rogers/Mayden (I personally think Rogers will be the QB)

Heath
    Shavers
    Ducking
    Marks
    Tulu
    Walley
    Rufus Harvey
    Knox
    *hopefully* Nabers also
    Also see if one of Torbor or Pruitt can do anything as RS Soph.’s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post

Heath
    Shavers
    Ducking
    Marks
    Tulu
    Walley
    Rufus Harvey
    Knox
    *hopefully* Nabers also
    Crazy good man. Not playoff good, but definitely getting there.

vCash
    Yeah, IYOK is correct...

Shavers isn't Jones, Perkins, Cooper, Smith, Ruggs., Homan, Jones , Lee, Norwood, Palmer, Stewart, Ridley, Waddle, Juedy, Smith etc...

But that dude would be a huge difference maker at MSU...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I’m with you IYOK. I wouldn’t have unrealistic expectations if we sign him. I wouldn’t expect Day 1 when he got on campus for him to be guaranteed 70+ catches or something like that. But like you said, his measurables and potential are through the roof and I’d love to see if Spurrier can be the one to unlock that potential on the field because he’d have the easiest path to tons of snaps and targets here. Just a case where you don’t know exactly what you’re getting but you love the potential upside and would love to see what he can do here rather than somewhere else.
    If there's one thing MSU fans are good at it's reminding other MSU fans how to be realistic.

vCash
    Agree.

Mitchell
    Heath
    Shavers
    Peyton
    Hill
    Costello

I'd be curious to see if we add him as an outside or inside receiver. I could see it being either one. You would think that in Mississippi we would be able to find a good Jameon Lewis slot guy the last five years. Maybe it will be Tulu.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If there's one thing MSU fans are good at it's reminding other MSU fans how to be realistic.
    Someone needs to because the moment he doesn't have 8 rec 120 yards 2 tds against New Mexico he'll be a bust. The talent was there coming out of HS but I'm not ready to call a kid who's done absolutely nothing in college our #1 WR. I'm sorry if that's bringing the mood down on Shavers.

vCash
    Someone needs to because the moment he doesn't have 8 rec 120 yards 2 tds against New Mexico he'll be a bust. The talent was there coming out of HS but I'm not ready to call a kid who's done absolutely nothing in college our #1 WR. I'm sorry if that's bringing the mood down on Shavers.
    I'm just kidding.

I do find it funny though that every single fan base in the SEC is like "This dude is going to be awesome for us" and if MSU signed Brady and Gronk this offseason we would have fans questioning their age, why they left the Patriots, and how rusty will Gronk be after being off a year. We just seem to have more "rational police" fans than others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I made it from Sessums Hall to the Burger King on Macfarland in T-Town in 1 hour flat in a '79 Chevy Caprice with a police package engine. And, yeah, that wasn't anywhere near the legal posted speed. I also made it from Marietta, Ga to Sessums Hall in 3 1/2 hours once. 284 miles. Some days, I miss driving like a damn maniac.
    How did you make it through Reform?

vCash
    I will add this for the rational people:

Let's not forget that we have Mike Leach as our coach now and he has about a 20 year track record of getting production out of wide receivers of all types- mostly three star caliber or less. Our other wide receiver coaches at MSU- not so much.

It's kind of like with Dan Mullen and QB's. For my entire fan lifetime up until Mullen we had never really had great QB play until he came along. I mean before Dak we had fans calling Jackie Parker our best QB ever and you couldn't really argue with it too much. And nothing against Parker who was a great QB and great player- but that was forty or fifty years before those posts were published. Dan like Leach had a great track record with QB's. And sure enough we had Chris Relf who was a triple option QB in high school with accuracy issues and Tyson Lee who was a walk-on and Dan made them functional and passable QB's who as good or better than most that came before them. And then once Dan got his program established here- then Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald get here and we start setting school records and all of a sudden our QB's are productive. Same with Tyler Russell if you look at his statistics. Leach is like that with receivers. We have a potential first round QB which should help. But then we add in at least one four star guy in Heath and maybe add Shavers to Osirus Mitchell who is solid, Javonta Payton who works his ass off, Austin Williams, and Dontae Jones that's a decent group right there. And we'll have a coach who isn't trying to make the perfect play call every time to impress someone to boot.

I think our talent is better than we may think at WR just because Joe didn't use some of them as much as he should- like Payton, Williams, and Jones. If nothing else they're fairly athletic. Some of these guys were just freshmen when Dan was here last so they weren't mature players at that time if they were even on the team. Jones made one of the better catches I've seen during the Moorhead era against Stephen F Austin and Williams has made some nice plays against Arkansas and ULL. You can say that those teams sucked or whatever but I would have liked to have seen what they could have done if given more of an opportunity because it does appear that there is something there. Maybe not all-SEC but good enough to move the sticks a couple of times a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Yeah, IYOK is correct...

Shavers isn't Jones, Perkins, Cooper, Smith, Ruggs., Homan, Jones , Lee, Norwood, Palmer, Stewart, Ridley, Waddle, Juedy, Smith etc...

But that dude would be a huge difference maker at MSU...
    Ahh... love that backhanded compliment, as always.

vCash

Heath
    Shavers
    Ducking
    Marks
    Tulu
    Walley
    Rufus Harvey
    Knox
    *hopefully* Nabers also
    Don't count out the Qb transfer from Vandy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    The Walk on? I don't think he will start over GS or Rogers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    The Walk on? I don't think he will start over GS or Rogers
    Your more than likely right, but remember that Mike Leach is our coach. If the Vandy guy is the best decision maker & the most accurate then he'll start.

I'm not sold that we won't go get another grad transfer next year at QB. Leach will have plenty of interest.

So in Spring next year, the returning guys won't just be competing against each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Or Robertson. I know he'll be a true freshman that year, but you never know.