Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Starkville Shipley?s

vCash
    I turn down free Krispy Kreme on the reg. They are trash.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    I knocked on the Starkville location as being not that great - that is, until I took two trips to upper New York State in the past four years. When you get to around Louisville, KY, you can just forget about having anything good (grits, sweet tea, biscuits, sausage, donuts).
    I went with a group from MS during the last one, and they wanted donuts the first morning instead of ordering a large breakfast. having already been in the area before (Buffalo), I had sampled several of the donut shops. Freaking horrible. I told them what to expect. They went ahead and did it anyway. Nobody finished a donut. Most everything has awful amounts of semisweet jelly filling. The rest were like a cake donut with nothing good in terms of taste.
    Two days later, the guest speaker we were meeting with wanted to "show us how great their donuts were" and walked in with 5-6 dozen of the worst tasting dog biscuits ever tried to be passed off as a donut. He was pretty ticked we didn't eat them. I overnighted a dozen from a Daylight Donuts here in town and sent to him when I got back. He said he and his staff fought over them. I told him that was our generic donut shop down here 😎

vCash
    If you ever drive through Lafayette, Louisiana..... you need to try Meche's Donuts. Best donuts ever.

vCash
    When i was a kid growing up in Columbus in the 80's and early 90's... Hardin's Bakery was the best donut ever. Huge warehouse factory and could watch the donuts come out one by one, on a conveyer belt. It was a neat process.

vCash
    Shipley's in Tupelo changed to Scarlet's a few years ago. Can't tell a difference.

what donut is better is something only a sports board without sports would argue.
    Last edited by Drewbowski; 05-31-2020 at 03:44 AM. Reason: word

vCash
    In the early 70's I was going to state and working nights at a plant in Columbus. During the summer (no classes) I could shift my hours so I got off about 4am. I stopped every morning on my way fishing at Shipleys across from Propst park on hwy 82. Mr. Shalles had hot doughnuts and coffee for me. I'd get a half dozen and scarf them on the way.

The absolute best.

And Krispy kreme sucks.

I went to the original dunkin donuts store #1 a long time ago. I got coffee and donuts. Threw the donuts away.

vCash
    Shipley's, when fresh, are fantastic.

There are several Donut Palace in the Jxn Ms area, and they are great as well.
    And the pig n blanket are better than the donuts

The problem with donut shops is they rarely make enough $$ to clear a decent profit over and above the ridiculously high lease payment to the strip mall landlords.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Nothing beats Krispy Kreme....
    1)Shipley's
    2) Any random local gourmet donut shop

14) Publix bakery

23) Dunkin Donuts

2126) Hostess

3526) loaf bread torn apart, fashioned into the shape of a donut and covered in simple syrup

56378) Krispy Kreme

vCash
    Lots of Krispy Kreme hate ....... still my favorite.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Shipley's, warmed on a grill in the LFL, is the best donut available. I dare anyone to argue.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Shipley's, warmed on a grill in the LFL, is the best donut available. I dare anyone to argue.
    Hack, is that an invite for me this upcoming season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I grew up on the two Greenville Shipley's, so I was happy to still have it when I came to college. The only comparable donut I've had in MS is Tatonut in OS. They're good, but I'm not as nostalgic on them.
    I used to eat donuts from the Greenville Shipley's in the 60's and 70's when we would visit family. Still to this day the best donuts I've ever eaten. That guy had a knack for making them light and airy where you could eat the whole dozen and not feel stuffed. I'd give anything to find donuts here in Dallas like that.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Anybody who does not know that Krispy Kreme Hot Nows are doughnut perfection is a heretic who does not love the lord. Better to drive to Tuscaloosa for one than eat any doughnut that was in Starkville during my years there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    I used to eat donuts from the Greenville Shipley's in the 60's and 70's when we would visit family. Still to this day the best donuts I've ever eaten. That guy had a knack for making them light and airy where you could eat the whole dozen and not feel stuffed. I'd give anything to find donuts here in Dallas like that.
    The one in Greenwood was good, too. We got many a one from there in the 80's when I was growing up. I think we got some from the Greenville location when we lived in Indianola from 74-78.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Anybody who does not know that Krispy Kreme Hot Nows are doughnut perfection is a heretic who does not love the lord. Better to drive to Tuscaloosa for one than eat any doughnut that was in Starkville during my years there.
    You misspelled Shipley's chocolate iced and plain glazed doughnut holes.

vCash
    Obviously, none of y'all have ever been to the Tatonut donut shop on the coast....

vCash
    Gibson?s donuts in Memphis. Perfection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Lots of Krispy Kreme hate ....... still my favorite.
    I've eat Shipley there ok but Krispy Creme when fresh is the best could eat 2 dozen in a sitting

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Shipley's is by far the bets donut. I'd take a 2pm leftover Shipley's donut over a Krispey Kreme straight out the oven.

Krispey Creme is equal to the McDonald's entry into a best Hamburger contest. It's a literal joke.
    Didn't realize you were the "taste standard"....geezus You do realize that people have different tastes don't you? People like different stuff and it doesn't make it wrong that it's different.
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Didn't realize you were the "taste standard"....geezus You do realize that people have different tastes don't you? People like different stuff and it doesn't make it wrong that it's different.
    You're bothered by one specific person sharing an opinion about donuts in a thread about opinions on donuts?