Thread: OK Baseball fans

vCash

OK Baseball fans

Since it seems likely that there won't be a season due to corona and now compensation, Boras, will this turn you off like the 94 strike did? They just deep sixed the minor league season and if no deal gets done by mid June there prob won't be a season this year. Boras is telling his clients not to sign any comp packages. Some of the team leaders have said they won't agree to anything not less than full comp. And yes I'm Pissed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Since it seems likely that there won't be a season due to corona and now compensation, Boras, will this turn you off like the 94 strike did? They just deep sixed the minor league season and if no deal gets done by mid June there prob won't be a season this year. Boras is telling his clients not to sign any comp packages. Some of the team leaders have said they won't agree to anything not less than full comp. And yes I'm Pissed.
    I heard this am that the minors were being released ... I assume this would be for double-A and down because I don't see how they could play without a triple A team .... that 94 stoppage took an awful lot out of me that I never really got back however this just seems a little different even with a lot of the same bickering
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    If they cancel college football then I will be upset.

vCash
    MLB is its own worst enemy.
    Yes, they will lose more of what fans they have left

vCash
    MLB could be ending themselves going this route. The sport was already struggling with attendance. But now you've got both sides coming off like assholes because they are money grubbing. Problem is the players are airing their crap more and are looking like the bad guys. Both sides suck by the players are really coming off crappy.

If they don't come to an agreement and play this year, it really could be the downfall of the sport. Them trying to come back in August or September when football is coming back would not work well for them.

They won't go straight into the season either. They will need about a month spring training to get everyone ready to go. So best case scenario is agreeing, giving players 14 days to quarantine if they are coming back from overseas, then starting. I mean best case right now for MLB is mid July.

Baseball is an investment game. Fans get invested over the course of months and that's what keeps them during August and September. The longer they quibble over money, the more people won't come back to the game. People wanting sports are going to try the NHL playoffs over baseball.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 05-29-2020 at 01:58 PM.

vCash
    Yeah I don't see them having a season - too much bad blood showing up and like everything else in the world at the moment it's the 20% of people at extremes of either end that will probably ruin it for the 80% that could come to some sort of agreement reasonably.

vCash
    How will all this affect the draft and college ball?

Will more players stay/go to colleges?

vCash
    to much time has passed I'm sure but I'm curious about Cord Sandberg ... anyone heard anything about his status ?
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Will they strip the Astros of their WS title? Will they let the roid guys and Pete Rose in the HOF?
    MLB could be incredible but the people in power are idiots. And players upset about pay cuts is a bad look considering more than the population of California is unemployed right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    MLB could be ending themselves going this route. The sport was already struggling with attendance. But now you've got both sides coming off like assholes because they are money grubbing. Problem is the players are airing their crap more and are looking like the bad guys. Both sides suck by the players are really coming off crappy.

If they don't come to an agreement and play this year, it really could be the downfall of the sport. Them trying to come back in August or September when football is coming back would not work well for them.

They won't go straight into the season either. They will need about a month spring training to get everyone ready to go. So best case scenario is agreeing, giving players 14 days to quarantine if they are coming back from overseas, then starting. I mean best case right now for MLB is mid July.

Baseball is an investment game. Fans get invested over the course of months and that's what keeps them during August and September. The longer they quibble over money, the more people won't come back to the game. People wanting sports are going to try the NHL playoffs over baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Will they strip the Astros of their WS title? Will they let the roid guys and Pete Rose in the HOF?
    MLB could be incredible but the people in power are idiots. And players upset about pay cuts is a bad look considering more than the population of California is unemployed right now.
    I agree with these two posts the most. Baseball needs to be reorganized. There needs to more focus on college and there are too many minor league teams as it is. IMO they shouldn't draft players straight out of high school in the United States and players abroad should be 21 before they play MLB.

For the "but some people aren't cut out for college"- have a first responder league and have those players join the military, police, fire, or EMT like others and then have tryouts for each of those professions and leagues for each of those professions. The best players get drafted at 21.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree with these two posts the most. Baseball needs to be reorganized. There needs to more focus on college and there are too many minor league teams as it is. IMO they shouldn't draft players straight out of high school in the United States and players abroad should be 21 before they play MLB.

For the "but some people aren't cut out for college"- have a first responder league and have those players join the military, police, fire, or EMT like others and then have tryouts for each of those professions and leagues for each of those professions. The best players get drafted at 21.
    To me the minors are about to be cut in half. The days of organizations managing 4 or 5 minor league teams plus a major league team, all in 6 different cities, are over. It probably took a pandemic to break that system but it needs to be done.

Honestly, there's too many professionals in baseball. And I think this is going to change how organizations are structured. I think the draft needs 10-15 fewer rounds and everything below AA needs to be eliminated. College baseball is expanding. People are watching those games on tv more than ever before. They aren't going to some local low A game on a Tuesday night and honestly, these kids have better resources at many of these colleges than they would in rookie ball or low A ball.

Monetarily, it's not sustainable as most of those teams below AA operate in the red. Expand MLB rosters to 30. Each MLB team gets 2 minor league affiliates. You can keep no more than 100 players in your organization. That gives you 3,200 professional ball players. That's plenty. Let the college game develop the talent like college football does. Keep more players in college and improve that product and draft from there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    to much time has passed I'm sure but I'm curious about Cord Sandberg ... anyone heard anything about his status ?
    He's been out of pro baseball for a couple of years now. Going into his third year at Auburn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    To me the minors are about to be cut in half. The days of organizations managing 4 or 5 minor league teams plus a major league team, all in 6 different cities, are over. It probably took a pandemic to break that system but it needs to be done.

Honestly, there's too many professionals in baseball. And I think this is going to change how organizations are structured. I think the draft needs 10-15 fewer rounds and everything below AA needs to be eliminated. College baseball is expanding. People are watching those games on tv more than ever before. They aren't going to some local low A game on a Tuesday night and honestly, these kids have better resources at many of these colleges than they would in rookie ball or low A ball.

Monetarily, it's not sustainable as most of those teams below AA operate in the red. Expand MLB rosters to 30. Each MLB team gets 2 minor league affiliates. You can keep no more than 100 players in your organization. That gives you 3,200 professional ball players. That's plenty. Let the college game develop the talent like college football does. Keep more players in college and improve that product and draft from there.
    I love minor league BB. I go to most of the Shuckers games in Biloxi and to me its a better experience than the Bigs. You get to really know the players and the managers and develop good player-fan relationships esp the kids. Everytime I see Doug Drabek I get to remind him that Sid Bream is still rounding 3rd and tell him that he did pitch a great game. The players, except Pache, will talk to you and sign anything. You get none of this in the big league. Plus the main thing is that it is so much cheaper. Dam I'm going to miss it,

vCash
    MLB will play.

Deadlines make deals.

It will all seem lost until the last second.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    MLB will play.

Deadlines make deals.

It will all seem lost until the last second.
    The problem is the deadline to make a good splash is now gone. NHL beat them to the punch. College football is already announcing reopening dates and the NFL has a plan in place as well. NBA has been working out details for what the season might look like. MLB has progressed very little beyond square 1. They have no clue what a season will look like. Spring training. Number of games, or even a possible conclusion to their differences in money.

Baseball is a minimum 6 week start up. 1 weeks to get everybody back in the US, tested, and in quarantine. 2 weeks of quarantine due to the number of international players out of country. Then best case scenario 3 weeks of spring training. I think it's more like 4 but let's say 3 for now. That's a 6 week turnaround to start a season. And I still think that might be pushing it. If they make a deal on Monday, that's best case middle of July they start.

But the 2 sides aren't even close. If the season doesn't start until August, what will they do? Play 2 months with 50 games then playoffs? Will they try to have the playoffs in November when college football is at its peak? That's bad for them.

If I had to put money on baseball starting before August or not starting at all, I would put my money on not starting at all.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 05-29-2020 at 07:04 PM.