Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Going Into 2020, Where Would MSU Football Be If Mullen Was Still Coach?

  1. #1
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    31,898
    vCash
    1200

    Going Into 2020, Where Would MSU Football Be If Mullen Was Still Coach?

    Was kind of thinking about this today...

    No Freeze
    No Luke
    and Ole Miss on it's 3rd coach.

    If Mullen had stayed at MSU, where would we be as a program?

    Still an 7-8 win program or do you think we would've made a leap up yet?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

    Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

  2. #2
    Senior Member fader2103's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,384
    vCash
    616
    Right about where we are now. Still making Gator Bowls, and Music City Bowls.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    31,898
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by fader2103 View Post
    Right about where we are now. Still making Gator Bowls, and Music City Bowls.
    Certainly a real possibility.

    I think the wild card is that Dan has been significantly more involved in the transfer market since getting to Florida & I wonder if he would've done the same at MSU?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

    Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,066
    vCash
    30405896
    10-2 or 11-1 in 2018
    8-4 in 2019

    Another 8-9 win season on the horizon.

  5. #5
    Senior Member FISHDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,640
    vCash
    1146092
    We wouldn't have Costello coming in and I think our WR recruiting would remain as it previously was .... I think the most we would have gotten out of Mullen would have been a 10 win season once in a while and while that's not bad I think ML could probably win some of the games Mullen couldn't ....My desire is consistency and I think that comes with ML more so that DM .... while both are good coaches I'm glad ML is here but I don't think the difference is earth shaking - just the little extra sauce we get with ML gives me more hope in big games than what I had with DM ..... but I know construction - not how to motivate college kids
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 05-28-2020 at 03:17 PM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    425
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    10-2 or 11-1 in 2018
    8-4 in 2019

    Another 8-9 win season on the horizon.
    I think this is correct. We probably beat Kentucky and Florida in 2018, perhaps the bowl game too though there's no telling who we would've played. I think last year he beats Kansas State and has a much better chance of beating Tennessee, and probably wins a bowl game against a mid-tier ACC team.

    Keytaon would be going into his second year as the starter and we'd probably be projected to win 7 or 8 games, which is not terribly different from what we expect this year in reality. But the last two years definitely would've gone better.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    31,898
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    We wouldn't have Costello coming in and I think our WR recruiting would remain as it previously was .... I think the most we would have gotten out of Mullen would have been a 10 win season once in a while and while that's not bad I think ML could probably win some of the games Mullen couldn't ....My desire is consistency and I think that comes with ML more so that DM .... while both are good coaches I'm glad ML is here but I don't think the difference is earth shaking - just the little extra sauce we get with ML gives me more hope in big games than what I had with DM ..... but I know construction - not how to motivate college kids
    The air raid doesn't force you have equal or better players at most positions on the field like Mullen's offense does.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

    Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    7,251
    vCash
    700
    We would have had a good year in 2018, and recruiting would have remained more defense strong and less offense strong, which was the norm.

  9. #9
    Senior Member bulldawg28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,832
    vCash
    1200
    A top 12 football team.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    23,664
    vCash
    110
    Pretty exciting after making the CFB playoff in 2018 and then following it up with 9-4 in 2019.
    Just out here kicking rocks

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,654
    vCash
    1171
    As others have said. 10 wins in 2018 and then an immediate return to a 8 win football team on average as if 2018 didn't happen, excited to go 4-4 in . Still praying for top 30 recruiting classes.

    Source: winning an average of 8 games in the three years after the 2014 season (averaging 3 2/3 SEC wins a year).

  12. #12
    Senior Member BrunswickDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Home of Slay, GA
    Posts
    9,273
    vCash
    206152
    If I recall correctly, there are a couple of posters on here who melted down in early 2018 about how Mullen had left us with no offensive line for 2020 and there was no way we could fill spots with quality guys and we were screwed. So based on those astute predictions, I'm going to say we'd be coming off an 8 win season staring at a tough 6 regular season wins in '20 a since we'd have no OL.

  13. #13
    Senior Member msu15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    TUSK'S DOME
    Posts
    909
    vCash
    1050600
    Right where we are now. Charles Cross isn't here with Mullen around, combine that with their poor recruiting to that unit, and we'd have big concerns with our OL. You could also probably drop a couple of receivers from the unit as well for the same reasons.
    Fire Ben Howland

  14. #14
    Senior Member msbulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    W. Monroe, LA
    Posts
    6,912
    vCash
    1087076
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    We wouldn't have Costello coming in and I think our WR recruiting would remain as it previously was .... I think the most we would have gotten out of Mullen would have been a 10 win season once in a while and while that's not bad I think ML could probably win some of the games Mullen couldn't ....My desire is consistency and I think that comes with ML more so that DM .... while both are good coaches I'm glad ML is here but I don't think the difference is earth shaking - just the little extra sauce we get with ML gives me more hope in big games than what I had with DM ..... but I know construction - not how to motivate college kids
    Our OL recruiting would still suck too.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,117
    vCash
    1328
    Depends if you get job shopping Mullen or "only one school in this state is on the rise" Mullen. If you get the latter I think the floor would be 7 wins, average 8.5, and every fourth year or so hit a 10 or possibly 11 win regular season. But he would have to have his heart in it to stay long term.
    Last edited by Bdawg; 05-29-2020 at 09:52 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,215
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Pretty exciting after making the CFB playoff in 2018 and then following it up with 9-4 in 2019.
    Maybe in 2018 but there would have been a much bigger dropoff in 2019. In 2017 before Mullen left fans were projecting 6-6 or 7-5 for 2019. We would have still had a thin defensive line in 2019 and 2020 because Mullen didn't sign enough DL his last couple years. He signed a couple great ones, but not enough bodies.

    Still, it would have been nice to see what we could have done in 2018 under Mullen. My only question is would Fitz have been able to run as fast and as much in 2018 to take us to the playoff? He seemed slowed down some after his injury in the Egg Bowl. We still had Kylin and Aeris Williams, so if Mullen (and Fitz) were able to see that the RBs could take a bigger load then we would have been fine.

  17. #17
    Senior Member BrunswickDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Home of Slay, GA
    Posts
    9,273
    vCash
    206152
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    Maybe in 2018 but there would have been a much bigger dropoff in 2019. In 2017 before Mullen left fans were projecting 6-6 or 7-5 for 2019. We would have still had a thin defensive line in 2019 and 2020 because Mullen didn't sign enough DL his last couple years. He signed a couple great ones, but not enough bodies.

    Still, it would have been nice to see what we could have done in 2018 under Mullen. My only question is would Fitz have been able to run as fast and as much in 2018 to take us to the playoff? He seemed slowed down some after his injury in the Egg Bowl. We still had Kylin and Aeris Williams, so if Mullen (and Fitz) were able to see that the RBs could take a bigger load then we would have been fine.
    I'm not sure that Fitz was slower in 2028. I think he was tentative, partly because of the injury, but mainly because he was running an entirely new offense that no one was 100% comfortable with.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

  18. #18
    Senior Member BB30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Columbus, Ms
    Posts
    1,924
    vCash
    1023
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Pretty exciting after making the CFB playoff in 2018 and then following it up with 9-4 in 2019.
    Ha ha weren't you one of the first on the fire Dan train like 6 years into his tenure and wanted him gone after the 5-7 season in what 2016? Drastic change in opinion if you're thinking he would have had us in a CFB playoff in 18.

    I agree with you. We'd be rolling, just surprised to see you that optimistic about a Dan Mullen coached program.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    18,957
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    10-2 or 11-1 in 2018
    8-4 in 2019

    Another 8-9 win season on the horizon.
    This.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,191
    vCash
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    If I recall correctly, there are a couple of posters on here who melted down in early 2018 about how Mullen had left us with no offensive line for 2020 and there was no way we could fill spots with quality guys and we were screwed. So based on those astute predictions, I'm going to say we'd be coming off an 8 win season staring at a tough 6 regular season wins in '20 a since we'd have no OL.
    We had some significant holes coming up. We don't have Cross if Mullen is here. Not sure if we'd have Reese. We also might be completely screwed on the DL. The reason our DL was thin last year wasn't b/c of Moorhead.

    We would have had a great 2018. Ten win season and competitive in every game probably. We would have had a better 2019 than we had, but still would have had problems on defense. Who knows what we'd look like this year. Probably less talented on paper but have a much better attitude and toughness.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.