Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSU People Need to Educate this Guy

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Jackie, coaching in a much worse sec west, also put up four 3 win seasons and a 2 win season (I think). And left us on probation on the way out the door and with the program in a freaking mess. Even if dan would have barely missed a bowl game in 11,13, and 16, he never bombed like Jackie and ran a much better program internally than Jackie.
    Mullen also had us on probation. Jackie played in a slightly weaker SEC west with ten times the disadvantages that Mullen had. Jackie had a much tougher job and It’s not even close. Mullen also never had to deal with his wife having cancer during the middle of a witch hunt for probation either.

Mullen did an outstanding job at MSU but if you switch places the records end up looking the same more than likely. It’s a lot easier to bottom out when your budget is closer to USM than your SEC counterparts. That terrible visitors locker room Leach talks about at MSU May have been because Jackie wanted it that way but the primary reason was we had no money to speak of....Jackie was borderline elite at Pitt and A&M. When he had real resources (or played in a conference where everyone else didn’t have a lot more than him like at Pitt) he kicked everyone’s ass.
    Last edited by Jarius; 05-28-2020 at 11:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    The entry of Mizzou and A&M is what is relegated ARK to the lower tier in the SEC. It killed thier out of state recruiting base into Texas, Missouri, and Oklahoma.
    This is just factually incorrect. Arkansas has finished with a higher recruiting ranking than Missouri 90% of the time. And Arkansas signed the exact same number of players from Texas that they did before A&M joined the SEC.

If you go back across the last decade you'll probably find that Arkansas, Mississippi State and Ole Miss all recruit within about 3-5 spots of each other on average (outside of the Freeze years where Ole Miss was obviously cheating). We don't recruit Missouri or Oklahoma a whole lot to begin with (though Pittman is putting more emphasis on Oklahoma and having more success) but our main problem has been coaching. Sure our talent isn't Alabama level, but we've had the same number of players drafted as Florida State in the last 5 years. Just 3 fewer than USC and Wisconsin and 25th nationally. We easily have the worst record among the top 25 during that time span as well.

I do think that moving to the SEC from the SWC hurt our Texas recruiting but statistically A&M coming into the conference has had very little impact on it at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS View Post
    This is just factually incorrect. Arkansas has finished with a higher recruiting ranking than Missouri 90% of the time. And Arkansas signed the exact same number of players from Texas that they did before A&M joined the SEC.

If you go back across the last decade you'll probably find that Arkansas, Mississippi State and Ole Miss all recruit within about 3-5 spots of each other on average (outside of the Freeze years where Ole Miss was obviously cheating). We don't recruit Missouri or Oklahoma a whole lot to begin with (though Pittman is putting more emphasis on Oklahoma and having more success) but our main problem has been coaching. Sure our talent isn't Alabama level, but we've had the same number of players drafted as Florida State in the last 5 years. Just 3 fewer than USC and Wisconsin and 25th nationally. We easily have the worst record among the top 25 during that time span as well.

I do think that moving to the SEC from the SWC hurt our Texas recruiting but statistically A&M coming into the conference has had very little impact on it at all.
    Yeah, based on the graphs, it's hurt Texas Tech. At the same time Bama has made huge inroads into Texas and LSU & Baylor have added some - which is probably why Texas has been down and A&M has been relatively average in the SEC.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

1. I don't think you get the same player from Texas now that you were getting then. I realize this graph says here that you kind of do, but I think you're missing out on far more of those high 3 star types that may not be included in the "Blue Chip" category.

2. Secondly, you don't have a JUCO system. The Mississippi schools have the best JUCO system in America from which to fill holes or find immediate impact players & those players get destroyed in the recruiting rankings. For Example: Montez Sweat was a 3 star & Jonathan Abram was a low 4 star yet both were 1st round picks less than two years later.

Arkansas is easily the hardest job in the SEC West & Ole Miss makes their job harder than it should be due to a terrible program culture that attracts turd type players &/or gets them put on serious probation. The JUCO players also don't seem as attracted to Ole Miss as they are MSU. I think JUCO ball builds a certain type of grinder mentality that makes Ole Miss' culture less appealing.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    A big problem that I think Ole Miss faces & will continue to face is that many of the players they attract to their football program, sign there for reasons other than football.

Think about it:

When a JUCO kid or player signs with MSU, it's usually because they see MSU as their way to the NFL

When a player signs with Bama, football is undoubtedly the reason.

However, when a player signs with Ole Miss or Texas, what's their reason for doing so? To be with friends? To party? etc?

I think that's a struggle that they have. Many of the kids they get are there for other reasons.

I think the best Ole Miss player are those that sign with Ole Miss for actual football reasons. AJ Brown was paid, but he wanted to play in Ole Miss' passing offense. So at least, he went there for a football reason. Many others did not.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Mullen also had us on probation. Jackie played in a slightly weaker SEC west with ten times the disadvantages that Mullen had. Jackie had a much tougher job and It’s not even close. Mullen also never had to deal with his wife having cancer during the middle of a witch hunt for probation either.

Mullen did an outstanding job at MSU but if you switch places the records end up looking the same more than likely. It’s a lot easier to bottom out when your budget is closer to USM than your SEC counterparts. That terrible visitors locker room Leach talks about at MSU May have been because Jackie wanted it that way but the primary reason was we had no money to speak of....Jackie was borderline elite at Pitt and A&M. When he had real resources (or played in a conference where everyone else didn’t have a lot more than him like at Pitt) he kicked everyone’s ass.
    Not all probations are the same.

Jackie did a lot of good for us, but he coached too long and drove our program into the ground. He finished 3-8, 3-9, 2-10 and was dead last in the conference all three years. And left us on probation. We were arguably the worst power 5 program in the country when he left.

vCash
    This dude is clearly not aware that we won a National Championship in 1940.

vCash
    Does Florida have the easiest SEC schedule this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    1. I don't think you get the same player from Texas now that you were getting then. I realize this graph says here that you kind of do, but I think you're missing out on far more of those high 3 star types that may not be included in the "Blue Chip" category.

2. Secondly, you don't have a JUCO system. The Mississippi schools have the best JUCO system in America from which to fill holes or find immediate impact players & those players get destroyed in the recruiting rankings. For Example: Montez Sweat was a 3 star & Jonathan Abram was a low 4 star yet both were 1st round picks less than two years later.

Arkansas is easily the hardest job in the SEC West & Ole Miss makes their job harder than it should be due to a terrible program culture that attracts turd type players &/or gets them put on serious probation. The JUCO players also don't seem as attracted to Ole Miss as they are MSU. I think JUCO ball builds a certain type of grinder mentality that makes Ole Miss' culture less appealing.
    Do you think that Texas High School football recruits are over rated?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyDawg View Post
    Does Florida have the easiest SEC schedule this year?
    Maybe so but they will not beat GA. GA is going to be Dan's new Alabama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Do you think that Texas High School football recruits are over rated?
    No.

They're just extremely hard to rank and evaluate due to the number of them, less talented guys with advanced coaching, and hype.

The stars are off in the state but the great players absolutely exist.

Pat Maholmes was a 3 star. There are numerous other examples.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-28-2020 at 12:57 PM.

vCash

Now do the 1995-2011 period when you were the good in the SEC and won the division 4 times. That you have recruited shitty in Texas since 2011 is my point...

Players like Clint Stoner, Fred Talley, Caleb Miller, dacori Birmingham, Jason Peters...
    Last edited by SheltonChoked; 05-28-2020 at 01:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The number of available bowls and the 12th cupcake game really benefited Mullen. In 1970, the 11 game schedule was added. If you go back to 1970 and add a 12th cupcake game and assume a win, and apply 6 wins making you bowl eligible you get this:
    - 3 additional seasons of 9+ wins (plus additional 10 wins - '74, '76, '80)
    - 7 additional "bowl eligible" seasons ('77, '82, '85, '86, '89, '90, '96)
    - 4 seasons we were already "bowl eligible" but did not go to a bowl ('75, '76, '78, '97)
    - 6 additional regular seasons of .500+

That would be a huge perception changer outside of the Croom Error, giving us 5 Bowls in the '70s (instead of 1); 6 in the '80s (instead of 2); and 8 in the 90s (instead of 5).

This should not detract from the job Mullen did - he did great. But, it does show the benefits the era gave him compared to others.
    The twitter guy ain't wrong, but you provided the "why" Mullen's years seemed so much more fruitful. You should copy and paste this in a reply to him! Well done!

vCash
    Arkansas is the hardest play to win in the West. Any sports mouth that says otherwise doesn't know too much, if anything.

vCash
    That Croom hire is a real pimple on us that ruined what should be close to 30 years of sustained winning by now.

While the Sherrill era proved we could win, the Croom era wiped away any national remembrance of what Sherrill did.
    Not taking up for Croom, but I don't think you understand the hot water we (MSU) were in with the NCAA (much of it thanks to the private investigators working for OM, and the booster lady sleeping with the NCAA lead investigator)

Hiring the first African American head football coach in the SEC is something we needed to do at the time. And yes, it killed the early to mid 2000s for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Mullen would have failed to make a bowl game in 2011, 2013, and 2016 had he played an 11 game schedule like Sherrill did and had bowl games not been so readily available for anyone who got to 6 wins. That?s nearly half of his time in Starkville That he would not have made a bowl game if you add the 2009 year. He probably would have been fired instead of getting the Florida job had he been in Sherrill?s situation. Sherrill was the better coach due to doing what he did without all of the SEC money and extra cupcake game per year.
    People that weren't around when Sherrill took over have no idea the disadvantages we had to most other SEC teams during that time in terms of facilities, fan attendance, alumni support, TV exposure, budgets, no history of winning at all, etc. Heck, Sherrill had one team miss a bowl at 7-4 while Mullen had one go at 5-7. Just a different time. I seriously doubt Mullen would have even taken our job at the time Sherrill did. They are both great coaches but I would put Sherrill ahead of Mullen because without what Sherrill did in his first ten years here the Mullen years here would not have even been possible. The last few years sort of tarnish what Jackie did but he really had to build from scratch when he arrived. Mullen had much more to work with including weekly TV exposure plus quickly started getting big money from the SEC Network that allowed the end zone stadium expansion. So when Sherrill took over we absolutely were the hardest place to win in the West. At this point I would say we are ahead of Arkansas and are at least tied with if not ahead of Ole Miss.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 05-28-2020 at 04:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    People that weren't around when Sherrill took over have no idea the disadvantages we had to most other SEC teams during that time in terms of facilities, fan attendance, alumni support, TV exposure, budgets, no history of winning at all, etc. Heck, Sherrill had one team miss a bowl at 7-4 while Mullen had one go at 5-7. Just a different time. I seriously doubt Mullen would have even taken our job at the time Sherrill did. They are both great coaches but I would put Sherrill ahead of Mullen because without what Sherrill did in his first ten years here the Mullen years here would not have even been possible. The last few years sort of tarnish what Jackie did but he really had to build from scratch when he arrived. Mullen had much more to work with including weekly TV exposure plus quickly started getting big money from the SEC Network that allowed the end zone stadium expansion. So when Sherrill took over we absolutely were the hardest place to win in the West. At this point I would say we are ahead of Arkansas and are at least tied with if not ahead of Ole Miss.
    Totally agree. As a reminder, this was the stadium when Jackie took the job (and the practice facilities were, um....interesting):

vCash
    I don't have a problem with a single thing Gall said. What Mullen did here on a consistent basis in unprecedented, that is a matter of fact. Jackie obviously had some good years but the consistency was not there other than a 3-4 year stretch from '97/98-'00.

For me the biggest thing Mullen did for us was raise the floor of what we are as a program. The fact that Joe Moorhead for all his flaws still finished above .500 as a head coach speaks more to what Mullen left him than anything else. The fact that Mike Leach is about to radically shift our philosophy and our fans still expect us to go to a bowl game in Year 1 after the dysfunctional season we had last year also speaks volumes about the culture that Mullen built.

Mullen is not perfect but he can flat out coach and is the best we have ever had to this point.

vCash

1. But that's irrelevant if we're still recruiting in the 20s-30s on average just like MSU and Ole Miss. I'm not sure why recruiting Texas matters so much if we end up getting the same type of talent regardless...hell Morris actually signed the most Rivals 4-stars we've ever signed just last year.

2. Some players pan out, some don't. We've signed the #1/#2 JUCO DE twice in the last 5 years (the Kansas JUCOs aren't that far away) and also got good contributions from the SEC's leading tackler in 2014 Martrell Spaight who was a JUCO. Even our current RB Rakeem Boyd was a JUCO and he's one of the best backs in the league. We've also signed some highly ranked JUCOs that didn't work out. It's about like flipping a coin.

Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    Now do the 1995-2011 period when you were the good in the SEC and won the division 4 times. That you have recruited shitty in Texas since 2011 is my point...

Players like Clint Stoner, Fred Talley, Caleb Miller, dacori Birmingham, Jason Peters...
    Those teams also had key players from Arkansas like Matt Jones, Darren McFadden, Shawn Andrews, Brandon Burlsworth, Jonathan Luigs, Peyton Hillis, Tyler Wilson, Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, Jamaal Anderson, etc. In fact I would say our best teams in the SEC have been anchored mostly by in-state players. Talent is talent no matter where it comes from. We're still sending players to the NFL at a pretty solid rate like I mentioned it's just our coaches lately have had no idea what to do with it. There are probably 20+ players from the 2014 team who were drafted, for example, and yet that team lost 6 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Arkansas is the hardest play to win in the West. Any sports mouth that says otherwise doesn't know too much, if anything.
    But that's not backed by history or recruiting rankings. It's just recency bias because we've sucked extremely bad lately due to poor hires. If it was the hardest place to win then we wouldn't have won the West 3 times and wouldn't have a winning record against teams like Ole Miss, MSU, South Carolina or Texas A&M. Literally nothing has changed since Petrino was here with our average recruiting ranking so our talent is still the same as it was (on paper) back then yet we were winning 11 games then and 2 now. It's pretty obvious to see that a guy who plays 8 different QBs in two seasons just isn't a coach worthy of being in the P5 much less the SEC.

I mean if you say we're the hardest place to win in the west just based on on-field performance currently then that means that San Jose State and North Texas are better jobs too lol.