Thread: Anyone see this on reddit

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

Anyone see this on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comment...t_mississippi/

Some of the comments are woefully uninformed.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Our media's love for Joe Moorehead is odd.

I guess what I don't understand is that we praise him for being a nice guy, but don't like people like Mullen who enhanced the lives of far more players & developed those players to currently account for around $150 mil in current NFL contracts.

What are our priorities?

To be treated nicely at the sacrifice of discipline & respect?

It's funny. As Michael Jordan said on Last Dance, "I was afraid that people would watch this & think I was a tyrant, but that's you because you never won anything"

Moorhead failed dramatically in implementing a winning culture at MSU & that's mostly because he was too nice, but being nice is often times a lack of security in the nice person or a fear of someone not liking you & that prevents you from doing the right thing.

It's strange to me what we praise.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-26-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comment...t_mississippi/

Some of the comments are woefully uninformed.

Shocker**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

I guess what I don't understand is that we praise him for being a nice guy, but don't like people like Mullen who enhanced the lives of far players & developed those players to currently account for around $150 mil in current NFL contracts.

What are our priorities?

It's funny. As Michael Jordan said on Last Dance, "I was afraid that people would watch this & think I was a tyrant, but that's you because you never won anything"

Moorhead failed dramatically in implementing a winning culture at MSU & that's mostly because he was too nice, but being nice is often times a lack of security in the nice person or a fear of someone not liking you & that prevents you from doing the right thing.

No one "praises" him because he was nice.

People saying he was a nice guy is basically someone finding some morsel of positive out of the heap of crap his coaching was. By no means is that "praise". Football coaches can have lives outside of football you know?

There is just no need to run him down and beat a dead horse like you enjoy doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

I guess what I don't understand is that we praise him for being a nice guy, but don't like people like Mullen who enhanced the lives of far players & developed those players to currently account for around $150 mil in current NFL contracts.

What are our priorities?

I think there's room for both. You can be critical of Joe the coach, which most of our media has been. But also like and say nice things about Joe the man. There's room for nuanced discussion and I think that's all the article is trying to do. Certainly the ultimate priority for a coach is him winning and elevating the program over him being a likable person, but I don't think you have to explicitly state that in every article, it's mostly understood.

vCash
    Is he a nice guy though? Maybe? He seems to be a nice guy in private. And he?s definitely done some charitable things. But, I mean the guy called out our fanbase More than any coach I can remember. I don?t think a majority of our fan base was ever going to forgive him for some of those comments unless he won at a high level, and we know that wasn?t going to happen. He basically called us idiots for thinking the 2018 team was good. Then while he didn?t say his name, he basically said the reason we weren?t good in 18 was because of our QB. Only for his guy to be much worse in 19. He?s the most defensive coach I?ve ever seen in the SEC. Between the Bob from Bogue Chitto comments, to the comments after the egg bowl, and comments throughout his time here, I just don?t see the nice guy that people are talking about. I wish him luck, but if he gets that upset over fans comments, he needs to remain a coordinator or go back to FCS to be a head coach. Florida fans are still roasting Mullen from time to time and he?s like 21-5 there. It takes someone with thick skin to be a head coach in this league, and Joe doesn?t have it.

vCash
    I?m still busy pounding rocks.. I was all for JoeMo until Tennessee and Auburn games...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I?m still busy pounding rocks.. I was all for JoeMo until Tennessee and Auburn games...
    UT sealed it for me. That game was pathetic to see in person.

Even VOL fans around me were sympathetic.

Both teams should've lost. We just sucked more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    UT sealed it for me. That game was pathetic to see in person.

Even VOL fans around me were sympathetic.

Both teams should've lost. We just sucked more.
    Yep, this one did it for me as well. You don't get very many opportunities to snag a win on the road in Neyland and we downright sucked. No effort or energy. The whole game was just blah blah blah.

That is how I will remember the JOMO era, just blah. Not the worst I've seen as a state fan and not the best. Just mediocre. Now, Jomo did seem like a good human being.

vCash
    I say this in the best way I can because I come from a military back ground. The SEC is the Marine Corps. Brute force killers that get into trouble when left unsupervised for too long! Marines get drunk, break things, run off with your girl. JoMo is not a USMC officer. That is not to say JoMo is not an outstanding officer and would probably have a fine career in the Air Force where the ASVAB scores are a little higher and the the techie airmen are able to work more independently. In the Air Force, JoMo will be a highly recognized officer with a notable career, but in the Marine Corps JoMo was quickly relieved of duty!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    No one "praises" him because he was nice.

People saying he was a nice guy is basically someone finding some morsel of positive out of the heap of crap his coaching was. By no means is that "praise". Football coaches can have lives outside of football you know?

There is just no need to run him down and beat a dead horse like you enjoy doing.
    This. The guy when not between the hedges or behind a podium being backed into a corner fearing for his job is actually a pretty decent guy to chat with. There's no reason to hold ill will towards him currently. He sucked and we got rid of him asap, but he also kept the egg here. Bout all you can ask for one of the worst coaches in our history. Let him be and let's enjoy getting one of the best coaches in college football history period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DovaDawg View Post
    I say this in the best way I can because I come from a military back ground. The SEC is the Marine Corps. Brute force killers that get into trouble when left unsupervised for too long! Marines get drunk, break things, run off with your girl. JoMo is not a USMC officer. That is not to say JoMo is not an outstanding officer and would probably have a fine career in the Air Force where the ASVAB scores are a little higher and the the techie airmen are able to work more independently. In the Air Force, JoMo will be a highly recognized officer with a notable career, but in the Marine Corps JoMo was quickly relieved of duty!
    Nice. +1
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17