Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy Or Sell: Croom is Better than Moorhead?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Croom inherited a dumpster fire. Joe inherited a ready made 10 win team. Croom did a better job at MSU than JoMo and it?s not even remotely close.
    this all day long .... and Croom stepped straight into probation when he set foot on campus ... If Croom had what JoMo had to work with I think he wins a few more games than he did... but I also know for fact that Croom had lost the respect of a large portion of the team - so if we're picking our poison at least Croom beat Bama back to back (even if they sucked at the time)
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    So you are saying winning 8 games is totally tanking, but going 3-8 with a loss to non division-1 Maine and UAB is not ? Got it
    Don't forget a 20 point loss to 2-9 Vandy that same year we loss to Maine and UAB.

vCash
    As expected, this is a great discussion. Really puts Joe into perspective
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I think Joe is better, but timing is the key here. We got rid of Joe under tenuous circumstances but still before it totally bottomed out. Croom was canned after the most humiliating Egg Bowl showing in many people?s lifetime.

My issue with Croom has more to do with 2008 than some of the early losses to teams like Maine or insert C-USA team. He built it up in 2007 to what seemed like the start of something good, and then immediately crashed the following year. LA Tech, 3-2, and 45-0 were more infuriating to me than losing to Maine in Year 1.

Moorhead was bad, yes. Moorhead also did not lose the kind of games Croom lost. Both of them got embarrassed by good teams, but Croom got embarrassed by some bad teams.

Had we waited another year to fire Joe then it would?ve been a more legitimate debate, because I think we would?ve gone 3-9 or 4-8 this year and it would?ve taken a while for us to get back going. Making the change when we did allows us to minimize the long term negative impact Joe had. Croom?s impact was minimized by the fact that 2009-2010 was, in my opinion, peak Mullen, and the best coaching job he did here.
    Last edited by Captain Falcon; 05-26-2020 at 11:30 AM.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Croom is by far worse than Moorhead. By far. The freshness of Moorhead is doing a lot of clouding of the mind. It was time for Moorhead to leave but thinking Croom was better is insane. Croom not counting the fluke 2007 year won back to back games once in his other 4 years. He had 4 losing streaks of at least 3 games. He coached 40 games against P5 teams he scored 30 or more 6 times. SIX TIMES!! Joe failed no doubt about it but Croom was next level bad minus all the "discipline" he installed. Let's be honest after Jackie let the program fall his last few years hell even Moorhead would've been looked at as a disciplinarian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Mullen was a couple plays away from winning 7 games year one.
    Yep. A few bad officiating calls cost us the game against a ranked GaTech. One play call/execution against LSU and we win that game.

Mullen took a sick program with same players and had us competing with top 25 talent. The issue was scheme and not putting players in a position to win. Croom had his teams play tough even though talent wasn't really there. Mullen didn't have to do a 180 on culture. Not saying it was perfect but much different challenge right now.

I'll take Croom over Moorhead. Imagine if we gave Moorhead 5 years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Croom is by far worse than Moorhead. By far. The freshness of Moorhead is doing a lot of clouding of the mind. It was time for Moorhead to leave but thinking Croom was better is insane. Croom not counting the fluke 2007 year won back to back games once in his other 4 years. He had 4 losing streaks of at least 3 games. He coached 40 games against P5 teams he scored 30 or more 6 times. SIX TIMES!! Joe failed no doubt about it but Croom was next level bad minus all the "discipline" he installed. Let's be honest after Jackie let the program fall his last few years hell even Moorhead would've been looked at as a disciplinarian.
    Agree. Honestly joe is between Jackie and Croom, but is closer to Jackie than he is to Croom.

vCash
    Moorhead, but it's by a hair.

Croom was regularly losing to Maine, La Tech, Vandy, etc.

Moorhead in two years had two bowl games and two wins over UM. He also recruited better.

Both were lousy coaches in a race to the bottom.

In retrospect I wanted Croom gone in year three, and was stubborn on Moorhead and wanted to see what he did through his second season. Which was a flaming disaster.

Both said really stupid things about the fans. Croom said he didnt care what the fans thought. Moorhead told us to pound sand and kick rocks. Both indefensible.

Glad both are gone.

vCash
    I think people remember croom for way better than he was. The only decent year we had, was the single luckiest season in college football history. Go back and look at the numbers if you don?t believe me. We won 3 sec games in which we barely gained 200 yards in. If a tipped pick six against Auburn, a brutal decision by John Parker Wilson, and coach O punts and we go 4-8 that season. Moorhead was bad for sure, but Croom was unwatchable.

vCash
    What happened to Moorhead should have happened to Croom. After year three Croom should have been canned. Moorhead's offense is light years better than Croom's god awful Trash Coast Cluster. Remember one spring game under Croom neither offense scored a TD and not one forward pass was completed.

vCash
    It's unclear, but I give the nod to Croom over Moorhead. Croom inherited an absolute train wreck of a program. And the SEC and MSU didn't have the resources and advantages we have now. Croom still managed to win SEC COY of the year, beat Bama twice, and beat UF. His 2009 class that he put in place for Mullen was the best in school history.

vCash
    Croom was lazy and hardheaded... JoeMo was just hardheaded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Would Leach be taking over a better program if Croom would've coached the past two years or Moorhead?

For me, it's Croom.

Neither one could install their offense in the time they were here, both were decent recruiters although I think Croom may have attracted a higher quality makeup type, but Croom, if nothing else, could build culture. The players respected him and for that I think Leach would be taking over a better program if Croom would've coached the past two years rather than Leach.
    While neither was good, Moorhead has left the cupboard more full than Croom did. (The 2008 MSU team had 6 future NFL players, We have had 5 drafted each of the last 2 years).

Croom had his problems with discipline as well, but our offense was horrible under Croom. In 2008, we AVERAGED 275 yards of offense a game.

Leach is inherited a RS FR 4* QB and a great RB. Mullen had a Relf and Dixon. Leach has some experience in the WR. Mullen started 5 True FR at WR. The 2 "experienced WR" in 2009 caught passes for 141 yards.

The 2009 Defense was loaded with Mullen recruits.

vCash
    Some of yall must not remember the Croom years like I do.

This IMO isn't even worth comparing. The Croom era was an absolute dumpster. He improved the culture a little bit but not by as much of a margin as some of yall apparently think.

We were absolutely terrible in most phases of the game. We were just as boneheaded and dumb as we were under JOMO. We had the same issue with pre snap penalties/offsides etc. that we had under Joe.

Joe would at least try to make an adjustment, Croom on the other hand was determined that that HB dive on 1st and 2nd down were going to work every series regardless of who we were playing.

I'm surprised we aren't all blind from having to watch the Croom era, it was that bad. I couldn't survive another Croom era ha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Some of yall must not remember the Croom years like I do.

This IMO isn't even worth comparing. The Croom era was an absolute dumpster. He improved the culture a little bit but not by as much of a margin as some of yall apparently think.

We were absolutely terrible in most phases of the game. We were just as boneheaded and dumb as we were under JOMO. We had the same issue with pre snap penalties/offsides etc. that we had under Joe.

Joe would at least try to make an adjustment, Croom on the other hand was determined that that HB dive on 1st and 2nd down were going to work every series regardless of who we were playing.

I'm surprised we aren't all blind from having to watch the Croom era, it was that bad. I couldn't survive another Croom era ha.

I must've missed all of these adjustments.

But yes, Croom did suck also. Hard to pick a biggest loser coach though.
    Last edited by StateDawg44; 05-26-2020 at 12:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    I didn't miss their confused faces though

CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post

But yes, Croom did suck also. Hard to pick a biggest loser coach though.
    his adjustment was to have Fitz run on the left side of center as opposed to the usual right side of center ... other than that I have no idea of "other" adjustments last season except moving his residence much further North
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Croom beat Saban. I don't care what kind of talent Bama had at the time compared to what they had now. They still out recruited us then.

vCash

Croom was better overall. STill a terrible choice for HC

Croom came in and got alot of the problems players out and did a pretty good job recruiting. Just a terrible game planner and lazy.

vCash
    We almost missed the opening kick at La Tech because Croom was reading the paper at the hotel and all the assistants were scared to say anything