Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Buy Or Sell: Croom is Better than Moorhead?

vCash
    I'll take Croom every time. Moorhead did major damage in a short period of time...and it will take years to recover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstate17 View Post
    Because winning games because of pick 6?s isn?t a sustainable thing. If I?m not mistaken, croom blamed the 2008 seasons struggles on the defenses inability to score. Croom thought that 2007 season earned him several more years.
    I get that. But I feel like it's disrespectful to the players on that team.

Lucky or not- they made plays when it counted and won the games. It's not Derek Pegues's fault that he was a beast that year.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I'll take Croom every time. Moorhead did major damage in a short period of time...and it will take years to recover.
    Most here are expecting us to be a bowl team this year. We wanted to build Mullen a statue after winning 5 games. That's how bad Croom was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Most here are expecting us to be a bowl team this year. We wanted to build Mullen a statue after winning 5 games. That's how bad Croom was.
    There is always a lot of context when it comes to coaches.

Jackie probably underachieved in 1991 but because it had been so long since we had a winning season people were very happy.

Dan had a season where he only won one more game than Croom- but he won the Egg Bowl and the team "looked better" so people were happy.

Moorhead had a season where he won eight games- better than Dan or Jackie but because of the expectations people were not happy.

vCash
    Some of you people are just plain STUPID!

If you think for a damn second that Dumbo Joe was a better Coach than Croom... You don't know crap or anything that inspired during his time.

Yes, the last game he coached was embarrassing... But the week before he beat a ranked Arkansas team.

He didn't have 1/1000 of the financial resources State has now or even preceding his hire like Dumbo Joe did.

Also... Croom beat Bama TWICE!! Once in Tuscaloosa and also beat Saban in Starkville. You read that.. CROOM BEAT BAMA TWICE!!

I don't care if Bama wasn't Bama then... Mullet NEVER BEAT BAMA (and should have at least twice) and Dumbo got his ass handed to him both times, even with the #1 ranked defense in the country.

So Croom did something that neither, Shira, Tyler, Bellard, Feller, Mullen or Dumbo Joe EVER DID!!

We are 3-17 versus Bama in the last 20 years.

Croom has 2 of those Victories...

You people need to find something else to discuss about State that actually means something... Like how Cohen is still the AD after screwing up such bad hires in both Baseball & football & paying Leach $5M.... Which is an absolute JOKE!! Why pay his so much... Only because he offered once and struck out.. then WHIFFED on 2 other coaches and then having to PAY such a stupid price when he had to go back sucking up to Leach! And then to run off the BEST COACH on Campus (Vic Schaefer) who has ACTUALLY PLAYED IN not 1 but 2 National Championships WHILE COACHING @ MISSISSIPPI STATE... and yet Cohen still has a job here?

Give me a break!

Y'all need to start asking the right questions about why all this is happening... Vic didn't want to leave State. He was pushed out...

But anyone that thinks Dumbo Joe did a better job while coach @ State then Croom did... Is just a typical ole State fan that is CLUELESS & will always deny how badly our Athletic Department lacks LEADERSHIP...

Enjoy sucking every stupid thing that Steve R. says. He is NOTHING put Cohen's PR FOS mouthpiece..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reunion Dog View Post

If you think for a damn second that Dumbo Joe was a better Coach than Croom... You don't know crap or anything that inspired during his time.

Yes, the last game he coached was embarrassing... But the week before he beat a ranked Arkansas team.

He didn't have 1/1000 of the financial resources State has now or even preceding his hire like Dumbo Joe did.

Also... Croom beat Bama TWICE!! Once in Tuscaloosa and also beat Saban in Starkville. You read that.. CROOM BEAT BAMA TWICE!!

I don't care if Bama wasn't Bama then... Mullet NEVER BEAT BAMA (and should have at least twice) and Dumbo got his ass handed to him both times, even with the #1 ranked defense in the country.

So Croom did something that neither, Shira, Tyler, Bellard, Feller, Mullen or Dumbo Joe EVER DID!!

You people need to find something else to discuss about State that actually means something... Like how Cohen is still the AD after screwing up such bad hires in both Baseball & football & paying Leach $5M.... Which is an absolute JOKE!! Why pay his so much... Only because he offered once and struck out.. then WHIFFED on 2 other coaches and then having to PAY such a stupid price when he had to go back sucking up to Leach! And then to run off the BEST COACH on Campus (Vic Schaefer) who has ACTUALLY PLAYED IN not 1 but 2 National Championships WHILE COACHING @ MISSISSIPPI STATE... and yet Cohen still has a job here?

Give me a break!

Y'all need to start asking the right questions about why all this is happening... Vic didn't want to leave State. He was pushed out...

But anyone that thinks Dumbo Joe did a better job while coach @ State then Croom did... Is just a typical ole State fan that is CLUELESS & will always deny how badly our Athletic Department lacks LEADERSHIP...

Enjoy sucking every stupid thing that Steve R. says. He is NOTHING put Cohen's PR FOS mouthpiece..
    Go to bed. You're drunk.
    Ark came into that game in 2008 at 4-6. Left 4-7. They were nowhere close to being ranked.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Go to bed. You're drunk.
    Ark came into that game in 2008 at 4-6. Left 4-7. They were nowhere close to being ranked.
    Facts are hard.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash

Give me a break!

Derp. There is the Bama obsession I was talking about earlier. Croom was awful in every way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    You're delirious if you think Hill better than Dixon. We'll see this year but he ain't been so far.

Croom recruited a lot of the guys on the 2010 team.

Not saying Croom is better ... it's really hard to tell. I do think Croom may have won more games with the 2018 team tho ... although he wouldn't have had Shoop as DC which is why we even won 8.

Croom would have won less games because his offense would have been sub 115 like it was every year he was here. We would have run the ball 30 times a game with him and never the qb. We would have had a 5'8" walkon at qb like we did in year 4 under Croom.

Croom gets credit for Dixon, Sherrod, and Kyle Love in 2009. The rest were Mullen guys.

I love AD. He was wasted here under an in over his head, horrible, head coach. Hill is the better back.

Dixon looked like a better back because he carried the ball so much more than Hill. Because he was our only offense.

Dixon averaged 14 carries a game as a freshman, 22 carries per game as a soph, 16 carries a game as a JR. NOt counting his Sr year as that was Mullen. His highest YPC under Croom was 4.4.

Hill averaged 6 carries a game as a freshman, 11 carries per game as a soph, 18 carries a game as a JR. His LOWEST YPC was 5.0.

They both had a similar number of carries per game as JR's

In 12 games as a Jr, Dixon had 197 carries for 869 Yards, 7 Rushing touchdowns, 20 receptions for 117 yards 2 Receiving touchdowns. That's 217 touches, for 986, yards, and 9 TD's

In 13 games as a JR, Hill had 242 carries for 1350 yards and 10 Rushing touchdowns. 18 receptions for 180 yards, 1 Receiving touchdown. That's 260 touches for 1530 yards and 11 TD's.

Kyin almost broke Dixons rushing record this year while carrying the ball less in more games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post

Kyin almost broke Dixons rushing record this year while carrying the ball less in more games.
    Last year Hill gained all his yds against UL, USM, KSU, UK, TAM (couple of wide open very long runs in 2nd half when TAM was half-asleep with 21+ pt lead), Ark, ACU, and OM. All of those teams sucked except for TAM.

Against AU gained 45yd/17 carries, TN 13/11, LSU 34/15, Bama 35/16, Lville 3yds on 7 carries.

Conclusion - against decent competition he has disappeared more times than not. He isn't that powerful, doesn't have breakaway speed or elusiveness either. Also limps off a good bit against good teams and then turns around and comes right back in the game. He doesn't pass block either.

Having said that ... maybe Leach will work with him and make him a back that can make an NFL roster next year. Some of his flaws may be due to not getting good coaching. He still has quite a ways to go to get to Edwards-Helaire level tho.

vCash
    There's really no way to tell. I think the fairest question is do you think Moorhead would've done worse than 21-38 if he had taken over after Jackie, and do you think Croom would have done better than 14-12 if he'd taken over after Mullen? I think the answer is yes to both of those questions.

vCash
    Last year Hill gained all his yds against UL, USM, KSU, UK, TAM (couple of wide open very long runs in 2nd half when TAM was half-asleep with 21+ pt lead), Ark, ACU, and OM. All of those teams sucked except for TAM.

Against AU gained 45yd/17 carries, TN 13/11, LSU 34/15, Bama 35/16, Lville 3yds on 7 carries.

Conclusion - against decent competition he has disappeared more times than not. He isn't that powerful, doesn't have breakaway speed or elusiveness either. Also limps off a good bit against good teams and then turns around and comes right back in the game. He doesn't pass block either.

Having said that ... maybe Leach will work with him and make him a back that can make an NFL roster next year. Some of his flaws may be due to not getting good coaching. He still has quite a ways to go to get to Edwards-Helaire level tho.
    Where did dixon make his hay in the croom years? You should go watch those games. You obviously drank too much then and blocked them out.

Let's see the stats for Dixon...

La Tech 18 carries 91 yards Bad team
    SE LA 18 carries 81 yards Bad team
    Auburn 7 carries 5 yards Good team
    LSU 15 carries 50 yards Good team
    GaTech 13 carries 94 yards Good team
    Vandy 27 carries 107 yards Good team
    Tenn 15 carries 46 yards Bad team
    Middle Tenn 27 carries 126 yards Bad Team
    Kentucky 15 carries 48 yards Bad team
    Bama 11 carries 26 yards Good Team
    Ark 23 carries 179 yards Bad team
    Ole Miss 8 carries 17 yards Bad team

I'm not shitting on Dixon, but Hill is a much better back than you think he is.

vCash
    Where did dixon make his hay in the croom years? You should go watch those games. You obviously drank too much then and blocked them out.

Let's see the stats for Dixon...

La Tech 18 carries 91 yards Bad team
    SE LA 18 carries 81 yards Bad team
    Auburn 7 carries 5 yards Good team
    LSU 15 carries 50 yards Good team
    GaTech 13 carries 94 yards Good team
    Vandy 27 carries 107 yards Good team
    Tenn 15 carries 46 yards Bad team
    Middle Tenn 27 carries 126 yards Bad Team
    Kentucky 15 carries 48 yards Bad team
    Bama 11 carries 26 yards Good Team
    Ark 23 carries 179 yards Bad team
    Ole Miss 8 carries 17 yards Bad team

I'm not shitting on Dixon, but Hill is a much better back than you think he is.
    Ok ... I'll buy all that. Good research. FWIW ... I didn't think Dixon was that great either and was surprised he made the league (although not for long) but I guess Hill has disappointed me more recently maybe. May Hill can step it up this year. I think some potential is there for Hill if he focuses and stays off Twitter. And I did look exclusively at Dixon's senior year while Hill is still a Jr.

Norwood ... now I think he was pretty darn good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    There's really no way to tell. I think the fairest question is do you think Moorhead would've done worse than 21-38 if he had taken over after Jackie, and do you think Croom would have done better than 14-12 if he'd taken over after Mullen? I think the answer is yes to both of those questions.
    Croom would have done much worse than 14-12. He'd never have run Fitz, ( look at what he did with Omar Connor) and we would have scored 14 points per game. ( That's half of what Moorhead had) Vroom would have lost at least 2 more games in 2018 ( Probably ULL, A&M, and maybe KState), and in 2019 would have lost to ULL and Ark, probably Ole Miss.

Joe running a version of the spread with Omar, Jerious and Nick would have been better than what Croom did. Mostly due to system fit and letting Omar run the ball and no way Moorhead runs off Nick Turner. That beats Maine, and UAB... Not sure he finds another to get to a bowl... and he probably loses to UF and makes it about even...

It's depressing to look at any more "what it's" from the Croom era

Just thinking about Omar, Jerious, and Nick in a run spread offense is the most depressing "What if"....

vCash
    Croom would have done much worse than 14-12. He'd never have run Fitz, ( look at what he did with Omar Connor) and we would have scored 14 points per game. ( That's half of what Moorhead had) Vroom would have lost at least 2 more games in 2018 ( Probably ULL, A&M, and maybe KState), and in 2019 would have lost to ULL and Ark, probably Ole Miss.

Joe running a version of the spread with Omar, Jerious and Nick would have been better than what Croom did. Mostly due to system fit and letting Omar run the ball and no way Moorhead runs off Nick Turner. That beats Maine, and UAB... Not sure he finds another to get to a bowl... and he probably loses to UF and makes it about even...

It's depressing to look at any more "what it's" from the Croom era

Just thinking about Omar, Jerious, and Nick in a run spread offense is the most depressing "What if"....
    Croom ran the spread vs UF. Then he went back to the Croom Coast offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    you Sir--have not a clue.

vCash

Give me a break!

This is some of the dumbest sh*t I've read in a while. Dang man.

vCash
    The ?Croom beat Bama twice? argument is so dumb. Bama in the mid 2000?s was equivalent to what Kentucky is now. In 2006-2007 specifically you?re talking about two Bama teams that went 6-6. You cannot remotely compare Bama back then to what they have been the last decade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Who cares? Our fans have some kind of complex with Alabama. That team sucked. They lost to UL Monroe the very next week at home.
    It is not just our fan base. Every single team that plays Alabama wants to beat Alabama. Why? because it's ALABAMA. Just like when we beat Michigan in the Gator Bowl. Our fans loved it. Why because it was Michigan! If we played Notre Dame and we beat them then our fans would be excited Why? because it's Notre Dame. These teams are blue-bloods and when they do get beat it is fun for everyone.

vCash
    Ok ... I'll buy all that. Good research. FWIW ... I didn't think Dixon was that great either and was surprised he made the league (although not for long) but I guess Hill has disappointed me more recently maybe. May Hill can step it up this year. I think some potential is there for Hill if he focuses and stays off Twitter. And I did look exclusively at Dixon's senior year while Hill is still a Jr.

Norwood ... now I think he was pretty darn good.
    Dixon had a longer than average NFL career.
    Norwood was wasted with a horrible offense.

Dixon looks much better his Sr year due to Mullen knowing how to get him the ball without everyone knowing he was getting the ball.

Time Machine, should have hired Urban from Bowling Green in 2002. Omar, Jerious, and Nick Turner running the spread in 2002-2006, then can take over and we'd be on a 18 year bowl streak....