Thread: State's offense vs OM's in 2020? Who will have more points and yards?

vCash

State's offense vs OM's in 2020? Who will have more points and yards?

In 2019 State finished a little better than OM in points scored per game but were a good bit behind OM in yards per game.

Both schools have new coaching staffs with a history of good offenses. Last season Washington State was #7 in total yards and #11 in points per game. FAU was #23 in total yards and #14 in points per game.

Forgetting wins and defense for now, which school will have the better offense?

I think State will have more passing yards, total yards, and points per game than OM, but total yards and points per game may be close. OM will have more rushing yards per game. Leach has a consistent history of top offenses, and KJ Costello is a better passing QB than Plumlee/Corral. Both schools have good running backs but Kiffin will likely utilize his running backs more and both OM quarterbacks will run.

I think OM lost their 3 or 4 best offensive linemen from 2019, and State lost a couple and one to transfer but State will replace two of those losses with a 5-star redshirt freshman and a 4-star fifth-year senior transfer.

vCash
    I think State RBs will have less rushing yards but not by a lot. I also think State RBs will have more total yards.

vCash
    I think our offense will struggle vs good defenses because of the lack of quality WRs. They have better offensive weapons.
    But, our defense isn't going to be great and we're going to run a lot of offensive plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    In 2019 State finished a little better than OM in points scored per game but were a good bit behind OM in yards per game.

Both schools have new coaching staffs with a history of good offenses. Last season Washington State was #7 in total yards and #11 in points per game. FAU was #23 in total yards and #14 in points per game.

Forgetting wins and defense for now, which school will have the better offense?

I think State will have more passing yards, total yards, and points per game than OM, but total yards and points per game may be close. OM will have more rushing yards per game. Leach has a consistent history of top offenses, and KJ Costello is a better passing QB than Plumlee/Corral. Both schools have good running backs but Kiffin will likely utilize his running backs more and both OM quarterbacks will run.

I think OM lost their 3 or 4 best offensive linemen from 2019, and State lost a couple and one to transfer but State will replace two of those losses with a 5-star redshirt freshman and a 4-star fifth-year senior transfer.
    I will take a swing here, and throw Arkansas in for good measure.

The LaneTrain will take a step back as he reverts to his pro style roots after substituting Jeff Lebby for Kendal Briles. Without a talent or scheme advantage, Lane falls back to earth. They will end up in the 7-10 range of SEC offenses.

OM would be much more formidable and they preserved the Kiffin/Briles combo and it is telling that Briles went a different way one might consider lateral or even downward currently.

KJ Costello picks up the offense quickly and some wr options surprise, including Osirus Mitchell, Cameron Gardner, Malik Heath, and later in the year Caleb Ducking. Still, there are games where State struggles offensively, probably Alabama, A&M, and LSU.

Arkansas and transfer qb Felipe Franks surprise, picking up the more balanced Briles variant of the air raid quickly.

The rubber games between these 4 opponents make or break the season.
    State narrowly slips by Ark and both State and Arkansas handle OM by 10+ points.

State wins its first 4, loses 3-4 in a row, and ends on a winning streak for 8-9 total wins.
    Last edited by Walkerhill; 05-26-2020 at 09:00 AM.

vCash
    MSU.

Yards is a misleading stat. Leach's offense historically have been better.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    I will take a swing here, and throw Arkansas in for good measure.

The LaneTrain will take a step back as he reverts to his pro style roots after substituting Jeff Lebby for Kendal Briles. Without a talent or scheme advantage, Lane falls back to earth. They will end up in the 7-10 range of SEC offenses.

OM would be much more formidable and they preserved the Kiffin/Briles combo and it is telling that Briles went a different way one might consider lateral or even downward currently.

KJ Costello picks up the offense quickly and some wr options surprise, including Osirus Mitchell, Cameron Gardner, Malik Heath, and later in the year Caleb Ducking. Still, there are games where State struggles offensively, probably Alabama, A&M, and LSU.

Arkansas and transfer qb Felipe Franks surprise, picking up the more balanced Briles variant of the air raid quickly.

The rubber games between these 4 opponents make or break the season.
    State narrowly slips by Ark and both State and Arkansas handle OM by 10+ points.

State wins its first 4, loses 3-4 in a row, and ends on a winning streak for 8-9 total wins.
    You do realize Lebby & Briles come from the same family tree? Literally they're brother in laws. Both come from the Art Briles coaching tree. They run the same offense.

vCash
    So ...

Total yards -
    Ark > State >> OM

Passing Yards
    State >Arkansas>OM

vCash
    Yes, I do not believe Lebby is as proficient at calling plays within it and will also not be as adept as Kendal Briles at adapting it or tailoring it game to game.

Just based on track record and experience.

He did not call plays for UCF. Even as a QB coach he has also been supported by a very experienced head coach or offensive coordinator.

I think the Lebby hire is a kind of desperate attempt to backfill Briles. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Walkerhill; 05-26-2020 at 09:21 AM.

vCash
    State will obviously have more passing yards and ole miss more rushing yards.

I'm really interested to see what ole miss does at QB. Unless they go with Plumlee and commit to building their plan around him I think they'll end up playing musical QB chairs. I don't think much of Corral as a leader or decision maker, and I think it will have a negative impact on their production if he's in the picture.

I also think State has a more favorable schedule of defenses to face with UK, Missouri & NCSt, compared to Baylor, Vandy & Florida

State will finish higher in total offense and scoring offense.