Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The TBuck Legacy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Harbor View Post
    Yes, this please.
    Cam said, "you see what happens when you let a GREAT DB coach go?" .

Jarian's reply, "!!!! You said something then Brudda".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We're paying the price for changing coaches 3 times in 3 years.

The Cannizzaro and Moorhead hires were simply inexcusable by Cohen.

Hard to fathom that Moorhead could sow so much cancer into a program in such a short amount of time.
    Disagree with point #2. Both were fine hires. No way Cohen could have predicted either coach's problems. The Moorhead hire was seen nationally as a good hire.

What a good AD has to do is take care of the problems, and Cohen did VERY quickly. Fired Cann three games into a season (after making a Super Regional the year before) and fired Moorhead after just two seasons (and making bowl games in both). Quick decision making like that hasn't happened at State before (or at least for decades). Our previous ADs tended to linger and linger to give coaches 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances. Croom got 5 seasons. Even Rick Ray got 3.

Then Cohen went and hired two better coaches. Plus he has hired quality coaches in other sports (volleyball, softball, women's basketball).

I agree with your points #1 and #3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    Disagree with point #2. Both were fine hires. No way Cohen could have predicted either coach's problems. The Moorhead hire was seen nationally as a good hire.

What a good AD has to do is take care of the problems, and Cohen did VERY quickly. Fired Cann three games into a season (after making a Super Regional the year before) and fired Moorhead after just two seasons (and making bowl games in both). Quick decision making like that hasn't happened at State before (or at least for decades). Our previous ADs tended to linger and linger to give coaches 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances. Croom got 5 seasons. Even Rick Ray got 3.

Then Cohen went and hired two better coaches. Plus he has hired quality coaches in other sports (volleyball, softball, women's basketball).

I agree with your points #1 and #3.
    You don't know the story.

Cohen didn't do his homework on Canny. Mainieri had problems with Canny when he was at LSU that would've prevented Cohen from hiring him, but Cohen never called Mainieri.

There were a bunch of red flags that Cohen didn't know about because he had a bad relationship with Paul

I will give Cohen credit for seeing his mistakes & taking immediate action though. That's certainly a strong suite of him & I'll also say that the Lemon & Leach hires are of far greater quality than Canny & Moorhead. I think Cohen thought he knew what a great coach was before coming an AD, but has quickly been humbled & realized that it's probably best to not try & outsmart the room.

He's certainly gotten better in that regard. Our baseball program is strong enough to sustain the Canny hire, but I'm ready for our football program to have some stability again. Joe was awful.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-23-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash

Cohen didn't do his homework on Canny. Mainieri had problems with Canny when he was at LSU that would've prevented Cohen from hiring him, but Cohen never called Mainieri.

There were a bunch of red flags that Cohen didn't know about because he had a bad relationship with Paul

I will give Cohen credit for seeing his mistakes & taking immediate action though. That's certainly a strong suite of him & I'll also say that the Lemon & Leach hires are of far greater quality than Canny & Moorhead. I think Cohen thought he knew what a great coach was before coming an AD, but has quickly been humbled & realized that it's probably best to not try & outsmart the room.

He's certainly gotten better in that regard. Our baseball program is strong enough to sustain the Canny hire, but I'm ready for our football program to have some stability again. Joe was awful.
    There was a reason why Tulane didn't hire Cannizzaro I'll leave it at that.

vCash

All good points. I was a big fan of Joe because I"m also a Penn State grad/fan. I was excited when we hired him and was one of the last to finally want him gone (he did have a tougher SOS than Mullen did). Now I see how undisciplined the team became in just two years. It wasn't even a "players getting arrested in town" kind of thing. The team played sloppy and several good players (even upperclassmen who flourished under Mullen) became overweight and slower.

Now that Leach is installing discipline, there will be players who will leave. Interesting, because I didn't previously know that about Leach, but he had a lot of players leave when he took over at TT and WSU.

I had doubts when Leach let go some of our 'treasured' assistants, even though that's common with new coaches anywhere. Now I'm GLAD that Leach let those coaches go and brought his people with him from Washington State. I'm excited for our football future under Leach (and Arnett).

vCash
    All good points. I was a big fan of Joe because I"m also a Penn State grad/fan. I was excited when we hired him and was one of the last to finally want him gone (he did have a tougher SOS than Mullen did). Now I see how undisciplined the team became in just two years. It wasn't even a "players getting arrested in town" kind of thing. The team played sloppy and several good players (even upperclassmen who flourished under Mullen) became overweight and slower.

Now that Leach is installing discipline, there will be players who will leave. Interesting, because I didn't previously know that about Leach, but he had a lot of players leave when he took over at TT and WSU.

I had doubts when Leach let go some of our 'treasured' assistants, even though that's common with new coaches anywhere. Now I'm GLAD that Leach let those coaches go and brought his people with him from Washington State. I'm excited for our football future under Leach (and Arnett).
    Jomo had weak ass SOS compared to Mullen's 11 thru 15 and 2017 years. LSU and Bama this year and that's about it. And Bama now ain't near Bama then. The West was way tougher 1 the 7 when Mullen was here. And in 2017 we played Ga in East.

vCash

I'm ready for Leach to get his players in too. Looks like most of the problems are purged or declared for the NFL draft last year.

vCash
    There's a reason prior staffs did not want commits or prospective recruits visiting Oxford. Impossible to keep them out during a lock down but when that ends . . . . . . .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Jomo had weak ass SOS compared to Mullen's 11 thru 15 and 2017 years. LSU and Bama this year and that's about it. And Bama now ain't near Bama then. The West was way tougher 1 the 7 when Mullen was here. And in 2017 we played Ga in East.
    "Played Ga" is being kind. We showed up, I'll give you that. That was an embarrassing ass kicking, the kind Kirby routinely gives Mullen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Harbor View Post
    Yes, this please.
    It was a tweet, not a text. He also tweeted some stuff about playing for a coach, not a school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FoggyBottom View Post
    There's a reason prior staffs did not want commits or prospective recruits visiting Oxford. Impossible to keep them out during a lock down but when that ends . . . . . . .
    Rebel alert

vCash
    Jones is blaming the Leach tweet now. Story will change again in a week. He missed the coddling and the attention. Now he can get mossed on everyday by Mingo in practice like he did at NWR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Jones is blaming the Leach tweet now. Story will change again in a week. He missed the coddling and the attention. Now he can get mossed on everyday by Mingo in practice like he did at NWR
    I'm not sure Mingo is good enough to do that

vCash
    I'm not sure Mingo is good enough to do that
    Yeah..he is. Biggest miss we have had since Cam. He will be in the NFL

vCash
    Yeah..he is. Biggest miss we have had since Cam. He will be in the NFL
    Seeing him on the field last year in the Egg Bowl, I didn't see that type of ability or athleticism.

I may be wrong, but he's doesn't look like that type of player

vCash
    Seeing him on the field last year in the Egg Bowl, I didn't see that type of ability or athleticism.

I may be wrong, but he's doesn't look like that type of player
    Maybe bc they have a QB who can?t throw? State, OM, UF, UGA all saw it in him. He punked JJ on a regular basis just like he punked Bamas DBs last year

vCash
    Maybe bc they have a QB who can?t throw? State, OM, UF, UGA all saw it in him. He punked JJ on a regular basis just like he punked Bamas DBs last year
    Has nothing to do with the QB. Has to do watching him move & run. He doesn't look like a star to me. Just looks like another SEC WR.

That's what I saw. Again, may be wrong but I didn't see the burst, twitch, & speed to be a star.

vCash
    Has nothing to do with the QB. Has to do watching him move & run. He doesn't look like a star to me. Just looks like another SEC WR.

That's what I saw. Again, may be wrong but I didn't see the burst, twitch, & speed to be a star.
    Rolling my eyes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    "Played Ga" is being kind. We showed up, I'll give you that. That was an embarrassing ass kicking, the kind Kirby routinely gives Mullen.
    Yea ... won't argue much. Will say tho that was Kirby's best ever Ga team and it was at their place. Plus ... we were still too high from waxing LSU. But yea, we got our butt handed to us.

vCash
    Rolling my eyes
    Yea ... Mingo is gonna be pretty good I think too.