Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantastic Matt Wyatt/Mason Miller Interview Today....

vCash

Fantastic Matt Wyatt/Mason Miller Interview Today....

As a football nut, this is the best Leach staff interview I've seen yet.

I love what Matt brings to the radio. I don't agree with all his opinions, but am super appreciative that he talks football. He actually talks Xs & Os & about football. Not about hype.

Enjoy!

[tweet2]1263613722104389632[/tweet2]
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    To add, & this is very premature & we'll have to see if his OL is worth a crap, but Miller is the 1st MSU assistant in a long time that I think may have real head coach presence. He has a good mix of intensity, savvy, & likability.

IDK, something about his demeanor really stood out to me here.

Just throw that in your back pocket for hopefully a bunch of years.

vCash
    I'm hoping that so much of this staff having been together the past few years (everybody on the offensive side I believe) will speed up the process. A lot of times, new staffs have to learn each other and work on that dynamic in addition to learning their players.

I don't think OM or Ark has that staff continuity, so hopefully that will hive is an edge there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I'm hoping that so much of this staff having been together the past few years (everybody on the offensive side I believe) will speed up the process. A lot of times, new staffs have to learn each other and work on that dynamic in addition to learning their players.

I don't think OM or Ark has that staff continuity, so hopefully that will hive is an edge there.
    Agree & I think you'll see that.

What I've noticed in particular is that things usually work significantly better when the offensive coordinator/play caller has coached with the OL coach & they are on the same page.

Obviously also adding the WR coaches to is outstanding.

You know everyone is already on the same page.

vCash
    Very much agree & Joe didn't have much continuity either. He did bring Huff, but again, to me the most important relationship is the offensive coordinator & OL coach.

If you can't block, nothing will work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Agree & I think you'll see that.

What I've noticed in particular is that things usually work significantly better when the offensive coordinator/play caller has coached with the OL coach & they are on the same page.

Obviously also adding the WR coaches to is outstanding.

You know everyone is already on the same page.
    It's worth noting that Leach also coached offensive line at one point in time in his career.

Very much agree & Joe didn't have much continuity either. He did bring Huff, but again, to me the most important relationship is the offensive coordinator & OL coach.

If you can't block, nothing will work.
    I do think that if Moorhead had brought in the OL coach from Penn State that he was friends with it may have helped. And he should have brought in Joe Brady as well to coach QB's. Hindsight of course. I do wonder why he was unable to bring those people with him or why he chose not to bring Brady with him? Breiner didn't do very well at Fordham when he took over as the HC there. We also should have invested in an experienced special teams coach too.

vCash
    I'll get around to listening but I've run into coach Miller several times and I love having that guy in Starkville. Genuine, down to earth, blue collared, joy to be around.

vCash
    Miller has an awesome story from being a HS football coach in GA where he meat Leach......

Super guy and heck of a FB coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And he should have brought in Joe Brady as well to coach QB's. Hindsight of course. I do wonder why he was unable to bring those people with him or why he chose not to bring Brady with him?
    Brady was an assistant with the Saints when Moorhead was hired. He may have tried but I doubt Brady would have taken MSU QB coach over that.

vCash
    Cant wait to see our OL play in space
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Brady was an assistant with the Saints when Moorhead was hired. He may have tried but I doubt Brady would have taken MSU QB coach over that.
    It's so funny because he did interview Brady. His name was even brought up & our fans bitched & complained about him hiring all these guys from the NFL & not from the south. The complaining from that hire would've been louder than it was for Breiner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Cant wait to see our OL play in space
    C34 over here waiting for the first time we lose and don't score 30 like a kid waits for Christmas. I'm ready for "Monday morning after - I told you our interior line would get whipped - edition", like we've never gotten whipped up front by the elite defenses we faced before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    It's so funny because he did interview Brady. His name was even brought up & our fans bitched & complained about him hiring all these guys from the NFL & not from the south. The complaining from that hire would've been louder than it was for Breiner.
    I doubt that. Breiner had the thinnest resume for an SEC coach I have ever seen.

It was not just the limited experience or the level of play, it was that the Fordham program moved substantially backward in just 2 years under him. That was always suspicious. If the play was for him to be an analyst, okay, but to take one of the staff spots on the basis that basically Joe trusted him and would do most of the offense/qb coaching himself was ... kind of Mickey Mouse stuff. I thought Joe would be great at first, but that was a early eyebrow-raising sign for me.

Hubris on Joe’s part.
    Last edited by Walkerhill; 05-22-2020 at 09:21 AM.

vCash
    To add, & this is very premature & we'll have to see if his OL is worth a crap, but Miller is the 1st MSU assistant in a long time that I think may have real head coach presence. He has a good mix of intensity, savvy, & likability.

IDK, something about his demeanor really stood out to me here.

Just throw that in your back pocket for hopefully a bunch of years.
    Remember that Mason has been a Head Coach before and Asst HC twice before (and an OC). If Leach put up impressive offenses with Miller here at MSU you never know how high Miller might can rise eventually.

And with all the good continuity we've noticed within the offensive coach staff is there an inverse level of concern with the defense?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    I doubt that. Breiner had the thinnest resume for an SEC coach I have ever seen.
    Breiner had been a HC for 2 years & an OC for 4 years before that. Albeit at the FCS level. Brady at the time had been a LB coach for 2yrs at a D2 school, a GA for 2 years & an assistant to the assistants for 1 year with the Saints. Breiner resume was tons better. We killed him for hiring Breiner it would've been 10x worse for hiring some 28yr old kid who was his GA at Penn St.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    C34 over here waiting for the first time we lose and don't score 30 like a kid waits for Christmas. I'm ready for "Monday morning after - I told you our interior line would get whipped - edition", like we've never gotten whipped up front by the elite defenses we faced before.
    I would venture to guess that we will have less sacks per called pass play than we had this past season. We'll see

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Breiner had been a HC for 2 years & an OC for 4 years before that. Albeit at the FCS level. Brady at the time had been a LB coach for 2yrs at a D2 school, a GA for 2 years & an assistant to the assistants for 1 year with the Saints. Breiner resume was tons better. We killed him for hiring Breiner it would've been 10x worse for hiring some 28yr old kid who was his GA at Penn St.
    Agree to disagree. A lot of respect for you IYOK.

The Saints stint makes the difference for me, just based on Sean Payton rep. You are probably right people would have bitched about either. We have some fans who bitch about hiring freaking Mike Leach despite his track record so ...
    Last edited by Walkerhill; 05-22-2020 at 09:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    Agree to disagree. A lot of respect for you IYOK.

The Saints stint makes the difference for me, just based on Sean Payton rep. You are probably right people would have bitched about either. We have some fans who bitch about hiring freaking Mike Leach despite his track record so ...
    I get what you're saying & if he would've been on the staff as a QB coach or WR coach it wouldn't have been as much complaining. He was just an asst to the assts. In college terms he was a quality control coach & that was just 1 season. The 2yrs before that he was a GA at Penn St. Fans would've crucified Joe for that hire.

vCash
    I would venture to guess that we will have less sacks per called pass play than we had this past season. We'll see
    Oh yeah, I would bet the farm on that one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Actually Socrates- not at all. I would love for it to work because as an old Veer/Option guy I would like to incorporate it into my offense. But until I see it work in the SEC- I disagree with the philosophy.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is