Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Transfer Portal is Out of Control....

vCash
    It has always been well known that Buckley isn’t that great of a coach. Let Jones go to om and he can be out of position for them.

College football is so close to going to total shit. The buying used to be over once the player signed out of high school. Now, this transfer portal shit gives schools like olemiss that much more opportunity to not only buy players, but screw with a rivals roster at the same time.

Can’t wait for baseball to start.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    How long have you known? He just not cutting the hard work under Leach or is it the TBuck connection? Or all of the above?
    It was rumored when Buckley left. But he's been hot and cold since he got to Starkville.
    I hate to lose a good player but I'll pass on the drama. The last staff destroyed our program far more than Lovitt and Jones will. The total lack of leadership on this team and in this program was a damn killer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    It was rumored when Buckley left. But he's been hot and cold since he got to Starkville.
    I hate to lose a good player but I'll pass on the drama. The last staff destroyed our program far more than Lovitt and Jones will. The total lack of leadership on this team and in this program was a damn killer.
    Glad he left then. Didn't realize there was a lot of drama there, although I do seem to recall now a couple of instances. Not like Kylin tho. Kylin the one I figured wouldn't make it ... and I believe the jury is still out on that one maybe. Probably others too ... with Leach coming in I'm sure there has been some culture shock and some frank conversations too. Smoke probably ain't being blown up players' butts.

vCash
    Eradicating more cancer out of the program.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    I'd be ok with just taking the developmental players from MS high schools. The higher rated ones seem to have inflated egos, poor work ethic or some sort of hang up based on immaturity, ignorance and/or intelligence.

I knew there was a lack of leadership from past 2 years but never knew it was this bad.

vCash
    I'll venture to say that most of the drama queens that go to OM end up like Nkemdiche. Ealy and Mingo seem to have a chance tho. Plumlee ain't a QB for Kiffen I don't believe, although Kiffen may adapt for a couple of years with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    I'd be ok with just taking the developmental players from MS high schools.
    That's pretty much what we do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    That's pretty much what we do.
    And we got a coach that has a history of doing just that.

And while I think Kiffin better than most on here think, I do think he needs a higher level of talent to be so. And he will fit OM like a glove. They back in the biz now boys ... better buckle up.

vCash
    I'll venture to say that most of the drama queens that go to OM end up like Nkemdiche. Ealy and Mingo seem to have a chance tho. Plumlee ain't a QB for Kiffen I don't believe, although Kiffen may adapt for a couple of years with him.
    I've found that many times your recruiting process reflects your career.

To me, the players that choose Ole Miss for the right reasons, usually do pretty well & vice versa

Never forget that Jarrian committed to Oklahoma & then decommitted. So he didn't handle things well then & it shows now.

Lovett's recruitment was a dumpster fire.

What MSU must do to get past this is build a culture & competition within the program. We've got to get back that savage mentality we had under Mullen. I think Jones, Lovett, etc would've been good under Mullen because the competition & culture would've been ingrained in them from the start. Instead, Joe was so bad that the kids never grew up.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    I'd be ok with just taking the developmental players from MS high schools. The higher rated ones seem to have inflated egos, poor work ethic or some sort of hang up based on immaturity, ignorance and/or intelligence.

I knew there was a lack of leadership from past 2 years but never knew it was this bad.
    That's only sustainable if we want to go 8-4 a best. We need a Jeffrey Simmons every now and then and we need to continue to bring in people like Kylin Hill.

vCash
    Nail on the head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I've found that many times your recruiting process reflects your career.

To me, the players that choose Ole Miss for the right reasons, usually do pretty well & vice versa

Never forget that Jarrian committed to Oklahoma & then decommitted. So he didn't handle things well then & it shows now.

Lovett's recruitment was a dumpster fire.

What MSU must do to get past this is build a culture & competition within the program. We've got to get back that savage mentality we had under Mullen. I think Jones, Lovett, etc would've been good under Mullen because the competition & culture would've been ingrained in them from the start. Instead, Joe was so bad that the kids never grew up.
    Mullen may have quit screwing around with Lovett and/or Jones during recruiting process. And we would've melted about it. Mullen didn't cater to primas too often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's only sustainable if we want to go 8-4 a best. We need a Jeffrey Simmons every now and then and we need to continue to bring in people like Kylin Hill.
    I agree on Simmons ... waiting to see on Hill yet. But overall I agree with what you're trying to say which is you need to sprinkle in some elite dudes with the developmental guys. Although ... there were no dudes on 2014 team that were considered elite when we recruited them.

vCash
    I agree on Simmons ... waiting to see on Hill yet. But overall I agree with what you're trying to say which is you need to sprinkle in some elite dudes with the developmental guys. Although ... there were no dudes on 2014 team that were considered elite when we recruited them.
    Chris Jones? Fred Ross? Will Redmond?

A guy like Simmons is a special talent that doesn't come along very often. I can't say as a MSU fan that we can count on players like that. IF we can recruit a little bit better I think it could make the difference. The biggest thing about the 2014 team if you look at the depth chart- pretty much all juniors and seniors throughout the starting 1A lineup. We haven't really done that since. And I think that's a big reason why we have underachieved.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 05-19-2020 at 08:22 PM.

vCash
    Mullen may have quit screwing around with Lovett and/or Jones during recruiting process. And we would've melted about it. Mullen didn't cater to primas too often.
    Very true.

We used to get pissed at him for not starting the best players, but now we fully realize the method to his madness
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Chris Jones? Fred Ross? Will Redmond?
    Forgot about Chris but he wasn't a starter. Fred and Will were 4* so .. not sure elite quite describes them but maybe close. Will didn't start either tho.

vCash
    Forgot about Chris but he wasn't a starter. Fred and Will were 4* so .. not sure elite quite describes them but maybe close. Will didn't start either tho.
    They both should have. Jones was our best DL along with Preston Smith. Ross and Redmond were key to us beating Arkansas and maintaining our number one ranking. I might be wrong but I don't remember Redmond being 1B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Very true.

We used to get pissed at him for not starting the best players, but now we fully realize the method to his madness
    The problem is again- that's not sustainable either unless we are content with going 8-4 every year. Dealing with prima donnas is part of football. Jerry Rice was a prima donna. You don't start a guy like Jesse Jackson or Gabe Myles- who were both good players nothing against them, but they ain't Jerry Rice- over a elite guy that can help you win games. You have to find a way to make them happy and at the same time have enough Barrin Simpson/Kendrick Market's that can hold the prima donnas accountable and get them to work hard.

Ideally you find a guy like a Rice or a Simmons that has swagger but also is a relentless hard worker. Problem is again those don't grow on trees.

Anyway my point is we need a better mix of blue collar guys and some high end talent prima donnas that can make plays.

vCash
    They both should have. Jones was our best DL along with Preston Smith. Ross and Redmond were key to us beating Arkansas and maintaining our number one ranking. I might be wrong but I don't remember Redmond being 1B.
    Love and Calhoun started at CB.

vCash
    The problem is again- that's not sustainable either unless we are content with going 8-4 every year. Dealing with prima donnas is part of football. Jerry Rice was a prima donna. You don't start a guy like Jesse Jackson or Gabe Myles- who were both good players nothing against them, but they ain't Jerry Rice- over a elite guy that can help you win games. You have to find a way to make them happy and at the same time have enough Barrin Simpson/Kendrick Market's that can hold the prima donnas accountable and get them to work hard.

Ideally you find a guy like a Rice or a Simmons that has swagger but also is a relentless hard worker. Problem is again those don't grow on trees.

Anyway my point is we need a better mix of blue collar guys and some high end talent prima donnas that can make plays.
    Not at Valley and only a little after his 1st SB win too. I don't consider Rice a prima back then. And Rice's Dad taught Rice to work hard. Rice is blue collar dude. He himself set the standard that still exists today for hard work in NFL.

Odell Beckham and Terrell Owens ... now there are some primas. But I do kinda agree here too ... if you gonna have a little bit of a prima, he better be a damn good skill player and preferably WR these days.