Thread: WSU at Aub 2013, Full Game

vCash

WSU at Aub 2013, Full Game

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VOjkRmoabHI

Good stuff here if you want to see how the scheme and splits worked against an sec defense.

vCash
    Not gonna lie. Just watching the first WSU possession I don't see our WR's making the plays necessary with what I have seen the previous few years from them.

That is (and most other's I assume) biggest reservation and cause of treading lightly on buying into any hype.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Not gonna lie. Just watching the first WSU possession I don't see our WR's making the plays necessary with what I have seen the previous few years from them.

That is (and most other's I assume) biggest reservation and cause of treading lightly on buying into any hype.
    I agree.

My hope is that this offense just breeds play making.

My analogy to my hope is playing defense in baseball. When you have a pitcher that is around the plate & defenders are constantly getting opportunities, the defenders are on their toes, ready, & tend to find a rhythm & more confidence.

Conversely, when the pitcher isn't throwing strikes or the ball isn't being put in play often, the defenders get on their heels & feel out of the game.

Also, when you know the ball is coming at you again, it's easier to get over mistakes.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Also it sounds like ideally they should be able to run these plays in their sleep and know exactly where and when the ball will be placed under Leach and this system.

Insert: The lack of practice with each other this year... yada yada.

vCash
    Made it to midway of second quarter.

In the second quarter, WSU lined up in 12 personnel with two tight ends attached at one point. Also lined up with an H back one time to help with pass pro. Through quarter and a half, WSU OL has won the battle up front.

vCash
    You can't take too much from one game, but that was a 6-7 WSU team that scored more on Auburn than an 8-5 ole miss team, a 7-6 MSU team, a bad Arkansas team, and a bad Tennessee team. Only four points fewer than an 11 win Bama team. Now the only thing about that Auburn team that was consistent was the horseshoe up its ass, so may be even less to take out of that than usual, but at the very least, Leach's offense should be able to score against the SEC rank and file once he gets going, even if elite DL's shut him down (like they do most teams anyway).

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks for the link. I just watched WSU's first drive. A few things that occurred to me while watching:

(1) That was the opener in Year 2 under Leach with a low-three-star QB from Spokane, WA.
    (2) WSU likely had the least talented team in the PAC-12 that year (they did in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019). Auburn likely had one of the most talented teams in the nation that year. (7th nationally in 247's team talent composite in 2015 and 2016 and 8th in 2017.)
    (3) WSU went 6-6 in the regular season in 2013 and went 3-9 the next year, so they were still finding their feet under Leach. Auburn, on the other hand, won the West. Granted, they played every decent team close. But they did blow out Tennessee and Arkansas.
    (4) In the first drive, at least, WSU's offense looks like what the tempo stats indicate -- air raid, but definitely not hurry-up, no-huddle. Watch the play clock. On most plays they snap the ball after 15-20 seconds passed.

vCash
    Finally finished it. I feel better about things now than before watching that. Was surprised that wash st matched the physicality of auburn, both at the line of scrimmage and overall (#20 for wash st-holy cow at that hit). Was also surprised that wash state was able to gash them running several times.