Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Chillbilly's Mississippi State Helmet Concepts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I actually think the M state logo doesn't look bad as our official logo. I just think it looks horrible on a helmet. LSU, Florida, and Alabama don't wear their main logos on their helmets.
    This
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I actually think the M state logo doesn't look bad as our official logo. I just think it looks horrible on a helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This

Wait wut???

So you've changed your mind?

You don't like it on the helmet?

I'm confused about what you are wanting now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yeah, 63 replies based on only Shotgun wanting to talk about this.
    To me, it's about looking at ways to improve. If I'm a CEO of a company and I'm "satisfied" with not growing and improving, I'm not going to be a CEO at that company very long. Same thing with everything we do at the university we all love. Just because some of us are not content with being mediocre, don't hate on those who look for ways we can improve as a university and specifically our athletic department. We all want to win, but with that comes a price. And that price is not being "ok" with a south end zone that looks like a drive-in theater, uniforms that don't get anyone excited, and a brand that looks like very little thought was given to. We've come a long way in a lot of areas, including facilities and uniforms, but we can do better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy1972 View Post
    To me, it's about looking at ways to improve. If I'm a CEO of a company and I'm "satisfied" with not growing and improving, I'm not going to be a CEO at that company very long. Same thing with everything we do at the university we all love. Just because some of us are not content with being mediocre, don't hate on those who look for ways we can improve as a university and specifically our athletic department. We all want to win, but with that comes a price. And that price is not being "ok" with a south end zone that looks like a drive-in theater, uniforms that don't get anyone excited, and a brand that looks like very little thought was given to. We've come a long way in a lot of areas, including facilities and uniforms, but we can do better.

Pretty sure Shotty is one of the bigger fan "advocates" for all that you've listed.

On here at least.

vCash
    Y'all know that I have never liked the MState logo. UM had the M first and we come along and slap a State banner across it. We are Mississippi State University not MState. People in the SEC also know us as State. Use something with MSU, State, or MS in it. BTW, I always heard Richard Williams had something to do with MState logo for basketball as it came into being. Any truth to this? Our main yell at FB games is Go State or the State spellout before the start of the game. Have yet to here a MState yell or spellout and hope I dont. Hard for me to believe we can't do our own spin on the interlocking MSU and use it at least some, just because Nike supposedly owns it and has given it to who, Montana State? I graduated from MSU not MState. I tell people Mississippi State or just State and they know who.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Let?s just ask the question like this. You get to go buy one piece of MSU gear (say a hat or tshirt) and you?ll wear it to every sport event for MSU. What logo are you choosing?

The answer should be tour main sports logo. I?m choosing a maroon baseball hat with the baseball logo hands down.

There are places the block logo looks good. I like the ?state? script as an alternative Helmet and the throwback basketball uniforms with just ?state? on them are my favorite.

The current helmets are not awful like the Croom era but they are pretty mediocre
    I'm choosing walking bully every time, but you can't put that on a helmet. I like the Block/Banner M or just plainly "STATE" in all caps white block letters. Don't use the baseball logo. It makes me think of baseball and will always make me think of baseball. The current one is fine tbh.

vCash
    I like them

vCash
    That state one is awesome. I'd rather wear the Croom helmet over that MoverS. Looks like a high school helmet.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    That state one is awesome. I'd rather wear the Croom helmet over that MoverS. Looks like a high school helmet.
    Hey last year of Adidas contract. Could probably give Sly a call, wake him on his sofa, and he could give us Russell Athletic number from his rolodex! Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but I don't mind the M-State one, but the first iteration was horrible. Luckily, I don't think it ever graced our helmets though.

vs.
    The second version is absolutely better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    My avatar is the best helmet we have ever worn- but those look good that Rocky mocked up. Anything is better than what we currently have. The M-State crap needs to go yesterday.
    I agree I can support that interlocking MSU

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Looks good form the right side of the helmet but how would State look from the left side trying to fit the capitol S in next to the facemask
    Could just put a huge map of MS on that side
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Question for those that think the M over S looks like a jr high logo:

Does the same now hold true for the interlocking helmet?also do you like what we have now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Question for those that think the M over S looks like a jr high logo:

Does the same now hold true for the interlocking helmet?also do you like what we have now?
    I could care less about what we wore on the helmet. This is just for fun anyway. We are not changing the logo to the M over S full time, probably will never see it on the football helmet. Again, I could care less about it. I am going to support the team no matter what is on a helmet. I am also against any kind of remark about how we win more with this kind of helmet vs this kind of helmet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy1972 View Post
    From reading other posts on this topic in another thread, it "sounded" like to me. This is the way I read it anyway, doesn't have to be true. This is only what passed in my mind as I read the different posts. That we want a logo on the helmet that has 2 characters - an interlocking MS to be like other schools like Baylor, Auburn and others that were mention in the posts.

My thought is we will never be as good as someone we imitate, we have to be our own entity, set our own standard and have our own look even if different from the norms in order to be successful and not considered an also-ran or 2nd rate school. The schools mention in the post, as logos to emulate, weren't always a football school, they started somewhere and not on top.

With our new FB coach, maybe we do create a new logo. Both of the ones in this initial thread look good to me or maybe we use the interlocking MS logo or M State. After all we are still 1 university - aren't we? whatever we choose, I guess I am not as picky as some of you guys here, let's stick with it and make a true MSU brand out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Wait wut???

So you've changed your mind?

You don't like it on the helmet?

I'm confused about what you are wanting now.
    I don't like the M State logo anywhere near an athletic uniform. Other than that, I'm OK with it

vCash
    I don't really care all that much about the helmet design. You can't tell what they are from the stands anyway. Now the black and "specialty" uniforms, yes, you can see those and see the difference. Stick with Marooon and White.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I don't really care all that much about the helmet design. You can't tell what they are from the stands anyway. Now the black and "specialty" uniforms, yes, you can see those and see the difference. Stick with Marooon and White.
    This has nothing to do with what you can see from stands

vCash
    Unpopular opinion, I know. I'd downvote it myself even though I think it's ultimately true.

The whole point of a brand/logo is to unify everything with a single iconic image that is recognizable, easily reproduced in various media, and visible/discernible in multiple situations.

As a result, I think the M-State that we have is the most effective logo we've had since I've followed State (mid70s). Not the ruffle M-State. Too ornate and detail was too fine. The new one, though? It works great. All things considered, I think it's better than the interlocking MSU and MSJ logos that we had in my college days, which didn't get our word "State" into the look. It's definitely better than the "let's just change the font" approach with our wordmarks over the years.

I get the baseball M-over-S and I like it, but it suffers from the fact that the lines are so thin in comparison to the overall footprint of the image. It either fades away quickly as you get distance, or it blurs into a mess of lines. But it ultimately suggests or implies that the baseball program is not really "part of the team" of Mississippi State athletics. It makes us lack unity.

I think it's a continuing weakness for any of our programs to have vastly different logos from the overall athletic program. It defeats the purpose of having a unified brand.

We dilute our impact by not having one logo across everything, and the one we should have, sentimentalism aside, is the current M-State and variations.

I know, I know, I know. Let the hate flow, that's fine.

Hail State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    Unpopular opinion, I know. I'd downvote it myself even though I think it's ultimately true.

The whole point of a brand/logo is to unify everything with a single iconic image that is recognizable, easily reproduced in various media, and visible/discernible in multiple situations.

As a result, I think the M-State that we have is the most effective logo we've had since I've followed State (mid70s). Not the ruffle M-State. Too ornate and detail was too fine. The new one, though? It works great. All things considered, I think it's better than the interlocking MSU and MSJ logos that we had in my college days, which didn't get our word "State" into the look. It's definitely better than the "let's just change the font" approach with our wordmarks over the years.

I get the baseball M-over-S and I like it, but it suffers from the fact that the lines are so thin in comparison to the overall footprint of the image. It either fades away quickly as you get distance, or it blurs into a mess of lines. But it ultimately suggests or implies that the baseball program is not really "part of the team" of Mississippi State athletics. It makes us lack unity.

I think it's a continuing weakness for any of our programs to have vastly different logos from the overall athletic program. It defeats the purpose of having a unified brand.

We dilute our impact by not having one logo across everything, and the one we should have, sentimentalism aside, is the current M-State and variations.

I know, I know, I know. Let the hate flow, that's fine.

Hail State.
    Yeah, the problem is your entire premise wrong. Is Alabama recognized by a Number? No of course not. I do agree the Mstate logo is fine for a recognizable logo for the university but that doesn't mean it has to go on a helmet or a baseball hat. I think that's what most people are saying.