Thread: State vs Ark 2019 on sec network

vCash

State vs Ark 2019 on sec network

just started

vCash
    I refuse to rewatch any JM coached games. It brings back bad memories.

vCash
    How bad is Arkansas these days? Yeesh. P.S.- I love it. May they stay mired in the mud for many years to come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydawg1 View Post
    How bad is Arkansas these days? Yeesh. P.S.- I love it. May they stay mired in the mud for many years to come.
    Pretty unbelievable how unprepared Chad Morris was to be an SEC head coach.

Then again, when you hire a guy who had a losing record at SMU...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS View Post

What y'all think about new guy? I had zero idea who he was and have zero idea how well he'll do, but I was impressed with how he closed out his class

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What y'all think about new guy? I had zero idea who he was and have zero idea how well he'll do, but I was impressed with how he closed out his class
    His coordinators are miles better than what we had. But his coaching ability is TBD. Players love playing for him and he was known as a great recruiter as a position coach but I don't expect him to hang around for more than 5 years one way or the other, I think he'll leave us in better shape than we currently are which isn't hard to do lol.

He's definitely passionate about the program and players will play hard for him which I don't think either one was true under Morris. It's odd because I felt like Morris was a really good recruiter so obviously some kids liked him (he's doing great recruiting at Auburn) but his players on the current roster didn't respect him at all and he did a horrible job of actually coaching them. Pittman doesn't have quite the recruiting cache in Texas that Morris did (probably why he brought in Briles) but he's putting a big emphasis on Oklahoma and on battling Georgia Tech-level programs for some Atlanta metro kids from his connections at UGA. Tulsa is less than 2 hours from campus yet in the past we haven't consistently been able to pull players from there for whatever reason. We're in on several from there in the 2021 class and have a commit from OKC as well.

I don't expect to go back to Bielema ball but I do expect us to have a bigger line that we've had (Morris wanted his OL around 280) and to have a more physical running game out of the spread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS View Post

Never quite understood why Arkansas went that route.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Never quite understood why Arkansas went that route.
    Dabo tree, and apparently not much else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Dabo tree, and apparently not much else.
    Jerry Jones pounded the table for him. He was at SMU which is obviously located in Dallas and his son Chandler played on the same high school team as Jerry's grandson (who is now our 3rd/4th string QB).

We didn't have an AD at the time. They probably banked on his Texas recruiting ability and, honestly, we had never gotten into the 21st century and had a coach that had run a spread offense so it was easy to hire a spread coach after just getting over the pro-style ground and pound with Bielema. Petrino was the closest offense we've ever ran to the spread but that was mostly a pro-style with a few spread formations. Chad's offense is very similar to Malzahn's, who a segment of our BOT has tried to lure away from Auburn several times with big offers, and they are really good friends which is why they work together now so Gus had high recommendations for him with the circle of people he is still close with in Northwest Arkansas.

vCash
    Ark has not been good for nearly a decade. I feel for them, we have been there for half a decade

vCash
    Enjoyed watching it and changed it very quickly as Jo(ke) Mo began his post game interview. Am sure he can put in his "offense" in the few weeks available b4 Oregon kicks off their season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Ark has not been good for nearly a decade. I feel for them, we have been there for half a decade
    The 2014 and 2015 teams were a lot better than their record and very close to winning 9-10 games but it all went downhill at the end of the 2016 season when we blew a 24-7 halftime lead against Missouri and then a 24-0 halftime lead against Virginia Tech in the bowl game in back to back games. It's been nothing but pure suckage ever since. It's like those improbable losses back to back broke the program lol.

Bielema's 2015 team actually went 5-3 in the SEC but lost games OOC against Toledo and Texas Tech that he probably should have won or we would have been 10-3 that year and he might have gotten another year to work with. Our biggest loss that year was @ Alabama by 13 points. 2014's team only lost to Alabama 14-13 on a missed extra point. So we were a lot more competitive back then even if we didn't win a crazy amount of games.