Thread: TEs in Leach offense

vCash

TEs in Leach offense

Given the plethora of TE/Hbacks we have on the roster, it is going to be interesting to see what Leach does with them. Historically he has not used them much but he did at UK and OU in his OC days. He used a 2 TE set in the redzone at TTU but you never hardly saw a TE at WSU.

Spivey has more talent than any of them and I think he could make a pretty good X or Z if he will buy in. Jordan Thomas did it in an offense that was run heavy Spivey can do it in the air raid.

vCash
    I heard that they were using Spivey at the inside spot and Dontae Jones at outside receiver. Cumbest should be able to transition to WR pretty easily too I would think whether they have him playing inside or outside receiver I don't know yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I heard that they were using Spivey at the inside spot and Dontae Jones at outside receiver. Cumbest should be able to transition to WR pretty easily too I would think whether they have him playing inside or outside receiver I don't know yet.
    Last I heard all the te except Jones we're going inside. If they can play, and we know some of them can, he will figure it out how to use them. No doubt about that to me.

vCash
    they will use them if they are good, but in general would rather have a speed guy/true receiver rather than a TE.

vCash
    After the line splits- this is the 2nd question I'm looking at seeing answered. We do have some TE talent and he has to figure out how to use it the best he can. Again- he is a good offensive mind and should do a good job with it. Look forward to seeing what he does with them
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Last I heard all the te except Jones we're going inside. If they can play, and we know some of them can, he will figure it out how to use them. No doubt about that to me.
    That would have been my guess but this is the first time anyone has confirmed it. He will definitely find a way because Lord knows some people that can catch in this offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    they will use them if they are good, but in general would rather have a speed guy/true receiver rather than a TE.
    If it's me:

X- Tall guy (6'2"-6'5") deep threat.
    Slot- Someone like Chad Bumphis.
    Y- A Shannon Sharpe type of guy.
    Z- Go to guy that can beat you short or deep.

vCash
    I?m still not sure I wouldn?t at least give Spivey a glance as a rush end as some thought he had a better future there out of HS.

But maybe he becomes a big mismatch in some situations at wr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    I?m still not sure I wouldn?t at least give Spivey a glance as a rush end as some thought he had a better future there out of HS.

But maybe he becomes a big mismatch in some situations at wr
    From what I heard in what few drills we had before the quarantine he looked good at WR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Given the plethora of TE/Hbacks we have on the roster, it is going to be interesting to see what Leach does with them. Historically he has not used them much but he did at UK and OU in his OC days. He used a 2 TE set in the redzone at TTU but you never hardly saw a TE at WSU.

Spivey has more talent than any of them and I think he could make a pretty good X or Z if he will buy in. Jordan Thomas did it in an offense that was run heavy Spivey can do it in the air raid.

we really only have 3 in Jones, Cumbest, and Spivey. That all have ball skills. Spivey left a few tds on the field last year. I like Jones the best and would try to get him 35 catches this year. Cumbest could be a star in football and he could be the closest guy to Bear Wilson in terms of the way Bear would just bully guys around down the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    After the line splits- this is the 2nd question I'm looking at seeing answered. We do have some TE talent and he has to figure out how to use it the best he can. Again- he is a good offensive mind and should do a good job with it. Look forward to seeing what he does with them

If you look back at WSU, the offense worked really well despite mediocre wr talent. He was getting mostly 2/3* type guys, with 4.6ish 40 times, and despite gaudy stats only a few ended up getting a look from the league. Our te folks are better wide receivers than he had at WSU.

I doubt that he will recruit more pure te but I think we will fine using these receiver types as the roster evolves over a couple of years.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Steve Spurrier Jr. said on Bo Bounds' show the other day that all of our tight ends would move to receiver and we would not play with an attached tight end.

vCash
    I think Spivey can be a weapon for us, especially in the redzone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Steve Spurrier Jr. said on Bo Bounds' show the other day that all of our tight ends would move to receiver and we would not play with an attached tight end.
    That is interesting. I don't see how some of these guys can play WR.

My guess come fall camp, we will have to take advantage of some of these guys skill sets - should be interesting;