Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Absolute Insanity to Me that MSU Doesn't Use it's Best Logo For Highest Rated Sport..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    The fact that you use Bama, UGA or Auburn to help support your view shows your lack of understanding. Those schools could not give a rip about baseball and have strong national football brands that could potentially elevate baseball. Baseball branding isn't going to elevate football anywhere, period.

In addition to showing poor business sense, you're not looking at this subjectively. You are placing a higher value on baseball marketing sway because you care about college baseball, and you probably have a higher opinion of our football brand value. Again, it's not poor missipi state. It's objective truth about our position in each market. Surely you see this.

If our football team were to rise to the level of baseball it could make sense on one level to combine. But if that happens we would be building brand equity in football along the way and at that point it wouldn't make sense to combine because you would have built two strong brands. You would maintain ability to market and sell two distinct logos/brands.

The "what looks best" discussion is a separate debate and even in this thread the opinions are split. The discussion of what makes sense from a brand marketing standpoint is a no-brainer for anyone that actually knows about this stuff. But keep calling it small-minded insanity, the irony is pretty hilarious.
    You spent so much time here bashing my business sense, that I have no idea what your point was .

You think we should place a higher priority on marketing baseball because we happen to be better at it rather than using our best brands for football which accounts for 90+% of our brand?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'm trying the help the football program by giving it a great logo that enhances its brand.

You obviously don't think much of our football program.

I get your point but believe it's absolute insanity and a misappropriation of priorities to put baseball or a logo above MSU football.
    Not sure it's accurate to say he doesn't think much of our football program due to calling it mediocre. It is an average P5 program.

vCash
    You spent so much time here bashing my business sense, that I have no idea what your point was .

You think we should place a higher priority on marketing baseball because we happen to be better at it rather than using our best brands for football which accounts for 90+% of our brand?
    I think the point is that making it the brand of our entire athletic dept makes it the logo of, and associates it with, an average athletic P5 dept, whereas right now it is the logo of, and associated with, a top 10 program only.

You are willing to sacrifice it as a logo associated with only a top 10 program in hopes of expanding brand awareness. Others are not willing to make that sacrifice for such a gamble (no guarantee it works).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I think the point is that making it the brand of our entire athletic dept makes it the logo of, and associates it with, an average athletic P5 dept, whereas right now it is the logo of, and associated with, a top 10 program only.

You are willing to sacrifice it as a logo associated with only a top 10 program in hopes of expanding brand awareness. Others are not willing to make that sacrifice for such a gamble (no guarantee it works).
    The average SEC football game gets 7 mil+ viewers while the CWS gets on average 1.1 mil viewers. That's regular season vs the equivalent of the final 4

Again, absolute insanity to not put our best foot forward in football. Absolute insanity

Which sport will draw more & better students?

which sport will increase donations & pride within the state?

etc, etc, etc

Again, priorities completely out of order & we're just talking about a logo.

Not to mention building a bad mitten dome when the football stadium needs massive upgrades.

The issue that many MSU fans have here is that they are prideful & familiar with the M over S logo. What they don't realize, however, is that 98% of the country has no 17ing clue what the M over S logo or what it even represents.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-17-2020 at 09:40 AM.

vCash
    I'm ok with marketing State but not ecstatic.

Most the country doesn't see us as state. Just the states around us. It's a pretty small minded endeavor imo.

The entire point here is to get out of being small minded Mittittippi Tate and build a national profile. The M over S helps us the most to do that.
    Shotgun, everyone?s opinion, unless their opinion agrees with yours, is small minded apparently lol.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Shotgun, everyone?s opinion, unless their opinion agrees with yours, is small minded apparently lol.
    And now we know you no longer can explain or fight for your view point.

Attack me if you want, but it just shows that you can't defend your opinion as surely you'd rather defend your opinion than attack me. If you could

I didn't say it was a terrible idea. Just that it really doesn't do much to build our brand as people in Texas, California, Florida, NY, etc have no idea who the 17 "State" is

vCash

I'm saying we have a strong brand in a niche market. Branding in a dominant market can dilute branding in a niche market if the dominant product is not on par with the niche product.

It's not placing "higher priority" on anything. The M over S is our "best"/strongest brand because it is distinctly associated with our successful baseball tradition. Removing the distinction hurts the brand.

If you showed random football fans across the country the M over S versus what we have now versus the interlocking MSU, you would get varied responses as to which was "better". VERY few of them would recognize the M over S as being our baseball brand, and many wouldn't even know it was us without just using logic. It does nothing for football other than maybe a few people think it looks better. That's not a marketing or business reason to change. That's a shotgun's personal preference reason.

And I don't know how your 90% figure is derived, you might as well say 100%, it doesn't change the mechanics of the way this works.

vCash

It's not placing "higher priority" on anything. The M over S is our "best"/strongest brand because it is distinctly associated with our successful baseball tradition. Removing the distinction hurts the brand.
    This is where we differ.

Yes, the success of the baseball program has helped the M over S brand, but I think it's clearly the sharpest & best looking logo.

I get your point, but my point is that it just far & away our best looking & sharpest logo regardless of the winning or losing it's associated with.

It's simple, clean, & unique among college athletics.

vCash
    The average SEC football game gets 7 mil+ viewers while the CWS gets on average 1.1 mil viewers. That's regular season vs the equivalent of the final 4

Again, absolute insanity to not put our best foot forward in football. Absolute insanity

Which sport will draw more & better students?

which sport will increase donations & pride within the state?

etc, etc, etc

Again, priorities completely out of order & we're just talking about a logo.

Not to mention building a bad mitten dome when the football stadium needs massive upgrades.

The issue that many MSU fans have here is that they are prideful & familiar with the M over S logo. What they don't realize, however, is that 98% of the country has no 17ing clue what the M over S logo or what it even represents.
    Why do you think putting the m over s in our helmet will increase awareness, draw more and better students, increase donations? All of that started happening for bama (and us to a smaller degree in 2014) when they started winning in 08 with Saban.

Is there any data that suggests changing the logo would do those things? Seems like quite a gamble, bc if it doesn't work you've relegated the m over s to just another logo of an average P5 school. You are willing to take that gamble, others are not.

vCash
    This is where we differ.

Yes, the success of the baseball program has helped the M over S brand, but I think it's clearly the sharpest & best looking logo.

I get your point, but my point is that it just far & away our best looking & sharpest logo regardless of the winning or losing it's associated with.

It's simple, clean, & unique among college athletics.
    Fair enough. I like it too, but it's hard for me to mentally separate it from baseball so I can't say if I would feel the same with it detached from all that tradition.

As confucius say said, it would be risking/sacrificing a strong brand in hopes that it improves or expands brand awareness. I just don't think it would do that because of how it looks and now you've lost the distinction that made it special.

vCash
    Fair enough. I like it too, but it's hard for me to mentally separate it from baseball so I can't say if I would feel the same with it detached from all that tradition.

As confucius say said, it would be risking/sacrificing a strong brand in hopes that it improves or expands brand awareness. I just don't think it would do that because of how it looks and now you've lost the distinction that made it special.
    Well, maybe the right answer is to just use for a few games each season & see how it looks.

Maybe start out using it in a non-con game that we should win & see how the introduction of that logo helps the branding through merchandise sells & it's perception.

We don't have to jump into the pool with it. We can dip our toe to figure out how cold the water is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    I wish we?d market ?State? a lot more. A good bit of people call us ?State? and it?s something OM & USM can?t use so its completely recognizable to specifically us. And imo, all the ?STATE? script uniforms we have in sports are among our best. Here?s a tweet that shows a football helmet with ?STATE? script as the logo and aside from the outline color of the letters, I think the helmet looks great.

Personally, I'm against the interlocking MS on the helmet. Pros and cons have been covered here but my main one is we've spent a ton of money over the last 25 years branding the M state mark. BUT, I will say that helmet that has "State" on it looks really good to me. Way better than I would have thought.

vCash
    And we have wasted 25 years with the M-State crap. Nobody calls us M-State. We are MSU or State. The M-State stuff needs to go away
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    That helmet with state on it looks awesome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    And we have wasted 25 years with the M-State crap. Nobody calls us M-State. We are MSU or State. The M-State stuff needs to go away
    Agree. It's awful.

Serves no purpose. It's a Wal Mart logo

vCash
    But branding! But marketing!******

vCash
    Nobody calls us MSU (not since my grandaddy in 1988 at least). In the Memphis area it's just "State"most of the time so we agree there. I'm certainly not saying the M State is a work of art by any means, but it's by far the most recognized brand we have around the country (for better or worse).

vCash
    I could get behind that for sure.

vCash
    And now we know you no longer can explain or fight for your view point.

Attack me if you want, but it just shows that you can't defend your opinion as surely you'd rather defend your opinion than attack me. If you could

I didn't say it was a terrible idea. Just that it really doesn't do much to build our brand as people in Texas, California, Florida, NY, etc have no idea who the 17 "State" is
    And calling someone’s opinion that doesn’t agree with your opinion “small minded” isn’t a personal attack? So wouldn’t that mean you lost the argument from the start? Lol.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    I agree. If we were to mix in an alternate logo or transition to a new one I really like that State script. The helmet looks great.