Thread: Looking back with Dak and the Heisman

vCash

Looking back with Dak and the Heisman

I think he really got screwed not getting to go to NY. He had big Heisman moments for most of the year. Beat 3 top 10 teams in a row something only like 3 or 4 other teams have ever done. He had national TV moments repeatedly. He should have been in NY as a finalist.

I think the Bama or Ole Miss game cost him a NY trip. Win either one and he may have got the invite although the Bama game really hurt him.

Anyway just was on my mind after I have just finished watching replay of LSU and TAMU games in 2014 the past several weeks in my shop as I do my workouts. Boy we had a serious chance in 2014 that we blew a golden chance. Still a special year though. I'll watch the Auburn game in the next month.

vCash
    Yeah. If he has another run like vs LSU, in Tuscaloosa and we win. Then win in oxford. He wins it. But..... oh well.

Similar to this, I was thinking about Tua's nfl contract. If Dak plays for Bama 2018, they win a NC and he wins the heisman.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 05-15-2020 at 03:08 AM.

vCash
    Dak finished 8th in Heisman voting. He didn't belong in NYC.

vCash
    I think losing to OM hurt him. Sucks because nearly all their players on the field in that game were bought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydawg1 View Post
    Dak finished 8th in Heisman voting. He didn't belong in NYC.
    Yeah I know where he finished; that ain't the point. The Heisman is a fickle media homer award. Dak was the hot ticket for 70% of year and then the Bama game basically bumped him totally out which was BS. One loss on road at Bama of all places. Dak had a couple bad plays in the game but he led a comeback and threw for like 400 yards. He was still Heisman material. He had stats equal or better than Cam and Manzel. Manzel didn't win anything at TAMU or win any more games than Dak.

Bama game cost Dak trip to NYC, Olemiss might have but I think his run was over after Bama

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I think he really got screwed not getting to go to NY. He had big Heisman moments for most of the year. Beat 3 top 10 teams in a row something only like 3 or 4 other teams have ever done. He had national TV moments repeatedly. He should have been in NY as a finalist.

I think the Bama or Ole Miss game cost him a NY trip. Win either one and he may have got the invite although the Bama game really hurt him.

Anyway just was on my mind after I have just finished watching replay of LSU and TAMU games in 2014 the past several weeks in my shop as I do my workouts. Boy we had a serious chance in 2014 that we blew a golden chance. Still a special year though. I'll watch the Auburn game in the next month.
    The problem was that Marcus Mariota had such a clearly better season than Dak that Dak didn't even need to be a finalist, and no other QBs were either. Dak's 2014 season was likely comparable to some other Heisman QBs, but not Mariota in 2014.

"Mariota, of Honolulu, HI, led the nation in passing efficiency with a mark of 186.3 by completing 254 of his 372 passes for 3,783 yards and 38 touchdowns while just throwing 2 interceptions. He has also rushed for 669 yards and 14 scores, and recorded one touchdown reception. Mariota?s total of 53 touchdowns ties the Heisman record for most touchdowns by a winner with Sam Bradford in 2008. While leading the Ducks to the PAC-12 Championship and an appearance in the Rose Bowl Game in the first ever College Football Playoff semifinals against Florida State and last year?s Heisman winner, Jameis Winston, Mariota earned the PAC-12 Offensive Player of the Year award. Mariota was also awarded the 2014 Walter Camp Player of the Year Award, the Davey O?Brien Award, which is given to the nation?s top quarterback, as well as the Maxwell Award as the nation?s most outstanding player."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    The problem was that Marcus Mariota had such a clearly better season than Dak that Dak didn't even need to be a finalist, and no other QBs were either. Dak's 2014 season was likely comparable to some other Heisman QBs, but not Mariota in 2014.

"Mariota, of Honolulu, HI, led the nation in passing efficiency with a mark of 186.3 by completing 254 of his 372 passes for 3,783 yards and 38 touchdowns while just throwing 2 interceptions. He has also rushed for 669 yards and 14 scores, and recorded one touchdown reception. Mariota?s total of 53 touchdowns ties the Heisman record for most touchdowns by a winner with Sam Bradford in 2008. While leading the Ducks to the PAC-12 Championship and an appearance in the Rose Bowl Game in the first ever College Football Playoff semifinals against Florida State and last year?s Heisman winner, Jameis Winston, Mariota earned the PAC-12 Offensive Player of the Year award. Mariota was also awarded the 2014 Walter Camp Player of the Year Award, the Davey O?Brien Award, which is given to the nation?s top quarterback, as well as the Maxwell Award as the nation?s most outstanding player."
    Yep, Mariota put up video game numbers that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post

Never said Dak should have won it, just reflecting on how close he was and even had an argument to be invited to NYC. Oregon also plays in the PAC10. If you compare Dak to what Cam and Manzel did he did enough to go. Did either of them beat 3 top 10 teams in a row? Manzel never propelled his team to #1 in country into Nov? Dak only had a dip the last 3 weeks of season. He was front and center and rising all year.

Compare to Lamar Jackson who basically had one big game early in year and tanked last half of year yet he won it.

Dak has a case to have been there; again never said he should have won it but he had as much an argument as any to be there.