Thread: Memorabilia

vCash

Memorabilia

Anyone have any interesting memorabilia ? This was from Clete Boyer at the Baseball HOF ... the lockers shown were Roger Maris next to Mickey Mantle next to Cleet Boyer .... show me what you've got - MSU related would be extra cool

Maris, Mantle, & Boyer.jpg
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 05-14-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I have an autograph from all but 2 members of the '61 Yankees - Maris and Elston Howard. Mostly on baseball cards. In the 80's MLBPA produced an "alumni" address book. I knew someone with one, and send cards with a letter asking for an autograph and with return envelops. Got everyone but Mantle and Berra doing that. Met Mantle at a card show, and got Berra on a '80 Yankees signed team ball (includes Reggie and Winfield)

vCash
    In the early 1960's my mother took us to St Louis two years in a row to see the Cardinals play in old Sportsman Park. We stayed at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel where the visiting teams stayed. The first year was the Pirates. Got the autographs of most of them. Danny Murtaugh-manager, Robeto Clemente, Dick Groat, Vernon Law, Bill Mazeroski plus a lot of others. (Spelling not so good}
    The next year was the Dodgers. Got Walt Alston-manager, Leo Durosha was a coach, Sandy Kofax, Don Drysdale, Maury Wills and more
    Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese were doing the game of the week and I got their autograph too. Dizzy talked to us a while when he found out we were from Mississippi. My sister told him I had "slud" into the bases. For you younger guys that was his word for slide or slid.

vCash
    I have two. One picture with Ali in 1979, he was in a movie in Natchez. My second picture was with John Wooden, he was the first speaker at the Babe McCarthy Banquet. Got autograph from both. Funny thing about Ali, I ask for his autograph and say “ To Coach ******” he ask me how to spell Coach! True story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Anyone have any interesting memorabilia ? This was from Clete Boyer at the Baseball HOF ... the lockers shown were Roger Maris next to Mickey Mantle next to Cleet Boyer .... show me what you've got - MSU related would be extra cool

Maris, Mantle, & Boyer.jpg
    I have the same auto photo. It is from a Sheffield Alabama dealer. He had about 25 of them when I got mine bout 6-8 years ago. He told me he was a personal friend of Boyer and had a photo him with Boyer signing these photos.

In my younger days I collected autographs. I have many MSU including Rafael Palmeiro, Will Clark, Ron Polk, John Cohen, Dan Mullen, Jackie Sherrill, Jeff Brantley, Bobby Thigpen, JJ Johnson, Joe Fortunato, Jackie Parker, Jack Lazorkp, John Bond, Johnnie Cooks, full sets of MSU baseball cards from the 80's and early 90's autographed, Ken Tatum, Alex Grammas, Jimmy Bragan, KJ Wright, Derek Pegues and more. I also have many unrelated to MSU.
    Last edited by dawgman; 05-29-2020 at 05:09 PM.

vCash
    Got a "Best Wishes Hank Arron" baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman View Post
    I have the same auto photo. It is from a Sheffield Alabama dealer. He had about 25 of them when I got mine bout 6-8 years ago. He told me he was a personal friend of Boyer and had a photo him with Boyer signing these photos.

In my younger days I collected autographs. I have many MSU including Rafael Palmeiro, Will Clark, Ron Polk, John Cohen, Dan Mullen, Jackie Sherrill, Jeff Brantley, Bobby Thigpen, JJ Johnson, Joe Fortunato, Jackie Parker, Jack Lazorkp, John Bond, Johnnie Cooks, full sets of MSU baseball cards from the 80's and early 90's autographed, Ken Tatum, Alex Grammas, Jimmy Bragan, KJ Wright, Derek Pegues and more. I also have many unrelated to MSU.
    I'm sure it's an auto photo but I got this photo from Boyer himself at the Baseball HOF in Cooperstown
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I'm sure it's an auto photo but I got this photo from Boyer himself at the Baseball HOF in Cooperstown

Sorry I was not clear. Auto photo in my post meant autographed photo. It is peculiar that this is the photo of choice that Boyer uses for autographs. Your post reminded me that I was on assignment in New York state in 1994 and worked the Cooperstown area. I went to Cooperstown numerous times and got autographs from Orlando Cepeda and Warren Spahn. Both were extremely generous with their time. Spahn had a pack of cigarettes in his shirt pocket and smelled like a chimney. There is a reason Cepeda was known as the baby bull. He was a very large man and Spahn was not small. I also became acquainted with a man that lived in a house around Doubleday field. He had black and white photos of the original opening ceremonies with Babe Ruth walking down the main street which was a dirt road back then. The photo album had at least 40 photos in it. Back when the Hall of Fame was opened, there was not an official photographer hired so these photos are the only ones known in existence. The Hall of Fame used these photos in a 50th (I believe) anniversary celebration.

vCash
    that .... is VERY cool indeed

vCash
    Sorry I was not clear. Auto photo in my post meant autographed photo. It is peculiar that this is the photo of choice that Boyer uses for autographs. Your post reminded me that I was on assignment in New York state in 1994 and worked the Cooperstown area. I went to Cooperstown numerous times and got autographs from Orlando Cepeda and Warren Spahn. Both were extremely generous with their time. Spahn had a pack of cigarettes in his shirt pocket and smelled like a chimney. There is a reason Cepeda was known as the baby bull. He was a very large man and Spahn was not small. I also became acquainted with a man that lived in a house around Doubleday field. He had black and white photos of the original opening ceremonies with Babe Ruth walking down the main street which was a dirt road back then. The photo album had at least 40 photos in it. Back when the Hall of Fame was opened, there was not an official photographer hired so these photos are the only ones known in existence. The Hall of Fame used these photos in a 50th (I believe) anniversary celebration.
    That's a great story. Some of those old guys were very generous with their time. I've got a pretty solid collection beyond the 1961 Yankees I mentioned earlier.
    My baseball collection includes Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Duke Snider, Mantle, Bob Feller, Early Winn, Bob Lemon, Roger Clemens, Rickey Henderson, Bruce Sutter, & Dale Murphy.
    Mays was a jerk - just grunted, never made eye contact. Musial, and Feller were the nicest. They took time to engage with people - especially kids.

Non-baseball, I've got Herschel Walker, Vince Dooley, Dominique Wilkins, Pete Buck from REM, the original lineup of Govt. Mule (Warren Haynes, Matt Abts, & Allen Woody) and a guitar pick from Dickey Betts given to me at the ABB show at MSU in '94,

I'm hoping to reno our family room later this year. When I do, I have a ticket stub from every sporting event or concert I've ever been to going back to the 1981 Ga/Ga Tech football game. I'm going to frame them, some of my MSU schedule posters, and some nice prints of MSU related newspaper headlines (and the Dak SI cover). My wife has the rest of the house, this is my sports room.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    That's a great story. Some of those old guys were very generous with their time. I've got a pretty solid collection beyond the 1961 Yankees I mentioned earlier.
    My baseball collection includes Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Duke Snider, Mantle, Bob Feller, Early Winn, Bob Lemon, Roger Clemens, Rickey Henderson, Bruce Sutter, & Dale Murphy.
    Mays was a jerk - just grunted, never made eye contact. Musial, and Feller were the nicest. They took time to engage with people - especially kids.

Non-baseball, I've got Herschel Walker, Vince Dooley, Dominique Wilkins, Pete Buck from REM, the original lineup of Govt. Mule (Warren Haynes, Matt Abts, & Allen Woody) and a guitar pick from Dickey Betts given to me at the ABB show at MSU in '94,

I'm hoping to reno our family room later this year. When I do, I have a ticket stub from every sporting event or concert I've ever been to going back to the 1981 Ga/Ga Tech football game. I'm going to frame them, some of my MSU schedule posters, and some nice prints of MSU related newspaper headlines (and the Dak SI cover). My wife has the rest of the house, this is my sports room.

Sorry to hear that about Mays as I have several of his autographs as he was my favorite as a kid coming up. I also have Bob Feller twice. I met him at spring training the year the two Indians players were killed in a boating accident. He was very kind. I have Fred Lynn, Ozzie Smith, Steve Carlton and Robin Ventura, all gotten at the CWS. I have Phil Neikro, Lee Trevino, Bo Jackson, Phil Mickelson, several other pro golfers obtained at the Players and the champions tour Legends at B'ham. I have autographed photos of my wife with Tee Martin and Bill Bates. I also have the SI #1 mag. I have photos of me with Jack Cristil and Ben McDonald. I also have football Andy Dalton and Pat White.

vCash
    Sorry to hear that about Mays as I have several of his autographs as he was my favorite as a kid coming up. I also have Bob Feller twice. I met him at spring training the year the two Indians players were killed in a boating accident. He was very kind. I have Fred Lynn, Ozzie Smith, Steve Carlton and Robin Ventura, all gotten at the CWS. I have Phil Neikro, Lee Trevino, Bo Jackson, Phil Mickelson, several other pro golfers obtained at the Players and the champions tour Legends at B'ham. I have autographed photos of my wife with Tee Martin and Bill Bates. I also have the SI #1 mag. I have photos of me with Jack Cristil and Ben McDonald. I also have football Andy Dalton and Pat White.
    Maybe it was just a bad day for Mays. It was at a card show that was covered up with people. I should probably give him a pass.

One of the nicer pros I've met was Bruce Sutter. After he got hurt with the Braves, he would volunteer to work with HS pitchers around Cobb County, and spent a ton of time just talking pitching with a bunch of dumb high school kids.
    He came to my school a couple of times. The last time he came was right before pitchers and catchers reported in '89. He said "I got another guy coming". About 15 minutes later, this young guy pulls up in BMW - and it's Tom Glavine. Glav had lost 17 games the year before, but was the same cocky guy you would see in interviews. For some reason that didn't sit well with us, and we started heckling him. Bunch of punk ass high school ballplayers razing a future HOF about losing 17 games, playing for the shitty Braves, wearing big Boston Bro gold chain and driving a Beemer. Glavine got fed up after about half an hour and left. We thought we were hot shit. Something tells me Glavine got the better of us.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    MSU-wise, all I've got beyond a few old ticket stubs is this old-school chalice:

It's awesome and all, but its normal function is as a pen holder in our home office. I'm not nursing 24 ounces of booze at a time too often these days . . . .

Otherwise, my memorabilia is mostly confined to my record collection. And more specifically, my Pink Floyd collection. CDs, box sets (old and new), books, records, etc. Here's the Floyd vinyl:

That picture's a few years old so it lacks a few rare-ish reissues, like remastered mono pressings of the first two records and a limited-run sampler from the most recent box set (The Later Years).

Rarest things in the vinyl collection include an original UK mono first pressing of Piper at the Gates of Dawn, a radio promo version of their second single from 1967 ("See Emily Play"), a pink-vinyl pressing of Animals from France, a couple of different Japanese pressings of Dark Side of the Moon, the Pulse box set, an original blue-vinyl pressing of The Division Bell and audiophile (Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab) versions of several albums (including a sealed copy of Atom Heart Mother).

I'll try to post a few pics of some of it later really unfurl my obsessive Pink Floyd fanboy flag.

vCash
    Like the mug and Bully ..... Love the vinyl - especially the Floyd stuff. I also have a lot of vinyl that I gave to my daughter who fell in love with it. I have all the vinyl of Lynyrd Skynyrd ... for my birthday my daughter completed the collection with an original album and cover of the Street Survivers album where they were surrounded by fire before the crash.... I love this old stuff - sounds like we are close to the same age and culture

vCash
    pretty good stuff ... 61 Yankees were bad to the bone and it's cool that you have something from those old legends

vCash
    there are some legends there ... I loved ST Louis. We had family about 15-20 miles East of there in Troy, Il and spent summers there in 69 - 79 ... loved the Arch and the river but I enjoyed the most watching the Cardinals in Bush Stadium

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I have two. One picture with Ali in 1979, he was in a movie in Natchez. My second picture was with John Wooden, he was the first speaker at the Babe McCarthy Banquet. Got autograph from both. Funny thing about Ali, I ask for his autograph and say ? To Coach ******? he ask me how to spell Coach! True story.
    Ali was and in my book will always remain The King .... lol on the spelling. My father was an Architect and very intelligent but he also couldn't spell worth a lick

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Here are some pics of some of my photogenic Floyd records. First are copies of Dark Side complete with the original inserts. The top pic is the original American version and the bottom pic is of a couple of Japanese pressings I have. I think the Japanese inserts match the original British ones.

Next we've got an early pressing of Wish You Were Here that's still in its original opaque cellophane. (It's not sealed. But instead of unwrapping the thing, the original owner just made a slit in the side for the record.) The idea for covering up such cool album artwork, by the way, was to push the album's theme of absence. An opaque wrapper = no album cover. (Or something like that . . . . ) Above the outer sleeve is the inner sleeve with lyrics on it and then a postcard insert (also of absence; diver with no waves).

Then there are the only two color-vinyl official Floyd releases I'm aware of, The Division Bell and the original French pressing of Animals.

And while this doesn't really fit the Floyd theme, it's super cool so I'll end with it. An early 70's pressing of Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits with its original poster insert.

vCash
    that's pretty cool stuff ... I love it

vCash
    Ali was and in my book will always remain The King .... lol on the spelling. My father was an Architect and very intelligent but he also couldn't spell worth a lick
    When I was coaching at NLU/Monroe, one summer we had a coaches clinic for High School coaches. We had several HC from around the country and speak. One Was Jimmy Valvano who was coaching at Iona at that time. I had to pick him up at the airport in Monroe and take him back later that evening. Talk about a great speaker and who was so full of life and personality with as much energy as any I had ever seen! He was so funny and likable, he also was a great x and o coach who no doubt loved the game and his players. You would have thought he and I were best friends, LOL! Everyone that day thought he was by far the best speaker and motivator, such a genuine nice guy!