Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: We're not going to play football this fall **!!!!**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I'm not sure how you can say it was worse than this. According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that in total, the virus killed one million people worldwide,[14] from its beginning in July 1968 until the outbreak faded during the winter of 1969-70.[15] The CDC estimated that about 100,000 people died in the U.S; The disease began in July of 1968 and lasted for almost 18 months. In 18 months, it killed 100K in the US.

We are roughly two months and it has killed more than 85,000 in two months.

If you don't think this is a big deal, or everyone is going to be fine, that is certainly your right, but I don't see you can compare roughly 100K deaths in 18 months versus 85000 deaths in two months as being worse than this.
    How many of the 85,000 actually died of COVID 19?

Wake up people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The hospital stats that matter say there was no widespread Covid in most places in the US till March.
    Are you referring to the hospital stats that didn't think there was Wuhan flu in the US and didn't test anyone for it until March? It's hard to make a claim about stats based on data that wasn't taken. How many sicknesses and deaths got labeled pneumonia, lung infection, flu, etc. before this all broke lose and a test was created. I'm not claiming to know for a fact that this is the 2nd wave only saying that I'm beginning to think it could be. It would explain why so many people were showing to have the antibodies so early in this process. If the 2nd wave is typically much worse than the first, maybe we're in it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Google the Swine Flu epidemic of 1969. Way worse than this. Nobody quarantined, no businesses shut down and they still held Woodstock that summer.

Wake up people.
    Gee, I Googled the Swine Flu and then Googled Covid-19 deaths. I'm supposed to believe one but not the other? Or just believe the one that fits my argument. Ah, got it! I'm woke now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I'm not sure how much of that is a foregone conclusion (we will see cases come back, we will see more deaths, there will be people of all ages that find out they have underlying conditions they're unaware of, but we won't necessarily see PPE shortages or the healthcare system overrun), but to the extent it's a foregone conclusion, there's no sense in delaying it. It's going to be bad and tragic but manageable and less bad and tragic than just sticking our heads in the sand and hoping we find a treatment or vaccine before everything falls apart.
    1) Hospitals and states are relying on FEMA and HHS/CDC to source PPE already. Their regular suppliers are out. If another wave hits anytime soon, we will again experience PPE shortages.

2) Going back to Todd's point about the advancement of medicine in the last 100 years: the longer we can avoid a 2nd wave the less tragic it will be. We will know how to treat it better, we will have more resources available to treat it, we will have time to study vaccines (likely spring before it's even feasible), we will learn more about the vulnerable populations, we will learn more the spread and infectious rate, we will have testing and tracing widespread and available to identify clusters and growth more rapidly, etc... The longer we implement social distancing orders the better off we will be from a health standpoint. You can't argue otherwise logically.

3) We can't let people starve to death and go bankrupt because 1% of the population may die. I realize that and agree. However it has to be phased. This battle between the "two sides" to "open everything" or "shut down everything" may be the dumbest thing I've ever seen or heard of in the history of this country. This is not a black or white issue. It's a huge gray area that has to be managed day to day. We need better data to help manage social distancing while also trying to balance the nation's economic health. Testing and tracing would give local government officials the confidence they need to press the gas and brakes accordingly. Once that happens, it makes sense to take calculated risks. Right now, (and I've used this before), we walked into the middle of a pitchblack bathroom started peeing and hope we hit the toilet. It's absurd how poorly this has been managed.
    Last edited by Political Hack; 05-15-2020 at 12:50 PM.

vCash

Wake up people.
    I know 3 people that died of COVId-19 and others that it almost killed, including a 41 year old federal law enforcement official that is in great shape (just got back from a stint at FLETC in Ga).

vCash
    Nice dodge.

Nothing was shut down, more deaths, more people exposed. All through '69 and it "magically" skipped Woodstock. Must have been all the "medicinal" marijuana use there.
    You used Woodstock which is ABSOLUTELY misleading at BEST. Now you are trying to defend it. It followed the seasonal flu pattern. It was gone by the end of March and then it came back in November, just like almost every other flu. There was nothing magic about it. I can excuse you for using it the first time. THIS post shows that you don't care about facts that don't suite your argument.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I'm not sure how you can say it was worse than this. According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that in total, the virus killed one million people worldwide,[14] from its beginning in July 1968 until the outbreak faded during the winter of 1969-70.[15] The CDC estimated that about 100,000 people died in the U.S; The disease began in July of 1968 and lasted for almost 18 months. In 18 months, it killed 100K in the US.

We are roughly two months and it has killed more than 85,000 in two months.

If you don't think this is a big deal, or everyone is going to be fine, that is certainly your right, but I don't see you can compare roughly 100K deaths in 18 months versus 85000 deaths in two months as being worse than this.
    That he tried to defend using Woodstock in his argument tells you all you need to know. He won't buy that either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post
    Are you referring to the hospital stats that didn't think there was Wuhan flu in the US and didn't test anyone for it until March? It's hard to make a claim about stats based on data that wasn't taken. How many sicknesses and deaths got labeled pneumonia, lung infection, flu, etc. before this all broke lose and a test was created. I'm not claiming to know for a fact that this is the 2nd wave only saying that I'm beginning to think it could be. It would explain why so many people were showing to have the antibodies so early in this process. If the 2nd wave is typically much worse than the first, maybe we're in it.
    No, I'm referring to the ICU stats as in numbers in the ICU. Those weren't out of the ordinary for December and January.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    1) Hospitals and states are relying on FEMA and HHS/CDC to source PPE already. Their regular suppliers are out. If another wave hits anytime soon, we will again experience PPE shortages.

2) Going back to Todd's point about the advancement of medicine in the last 100 years: the longer we can avoid a 2nd wave the less tragic it will be. We will know how to treat it better, we will have more resources available to treat it, we will have time to study vaccines (likely spring before it's even feasible), we will learn more about the vulnerable populations, we will learn more the spread and infectious rate, we will have testing and tracing widespread and available to identify clusters and growth more rapidly, etc... The longer we implement social distancing orders the better off we will be from a health standpoint. You can't argue otherwise logically.

3) We can't let people starve to death and go bankrupt because 1% of the population may die. I realize that and agree. However it has to be phased. This battle between the "two sides" to "open everything" or "shut down everything" may be the dumbest thing I've ever seen or heard of in the history of this country. This is not a black or white issue. It's a huge gray area that has to be managed day to day. We need better data to help manage social distancing while also trying to balance the nation's economic health. Testing and tracing would give local government officials the confidence they need to press the gas and brakes accordingly. Once that happens, it makes sense to take calculated risks. Right now, (and I've used this before), we walked into the middle of a pitchblack bathroom started peeing and hope we hit the toilet. It's absurd how poorly this has been managed.
    This is an outstanding post.

vCash

Wake up people.
    This isn't some conspiracy man. I know people who have died, a number of them. Our obits here have been WAY above normal. This is in backwoods Mississippi.

vCash
    This isn't some conspiracy man. I know people who have died, a number of them. Our obits here have been WAY above normal. This is in backwoods Mississippi.
    Deleted.

vCash
    Mississippi's ICU numbers went up by 31 today to 172. That's a 22% jump from yesterday. That is the most since April 21st at least. The vent numbers went up 12%.

vCash
    Mississippi's ICU numbers went up by 31 today to 172. That's a 22% jump from yesterday. That is the most since April 21st at least. The vent numbers went up 12%.
    No they didn't. ICU is at 151. You are reading the chart wrong.

vCash
    1 out of 1 persons will die. Yes Covid is a real disease, how bad is yet to be seen or realized but fact is you can't shut down a service or industrial economy very long or people die from other stuff way more than Covid. Most people agree just need to be smart, good hygene, etc. The fear tactics shut down forever until Covid doesn't kill 1 person crowd is total BS.

As Andy Dufrain said, get busy living or get busy dying. Most are just ready to live. I am still going to be careful though. 95% of people I know with a sane mind think this way. 90% of idiots think we must shut down for 1-2 years when we have 100% conquered Covid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    No they didn't. ICU is at 151. You are reading the chart wrong.
    You read it wrong. Look at the colors of the numbers and the lines. The tan ICU number and line is 172. The green suspected infection line and number is 151.The green number is also always above the line and the tan one below the line.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 05-15-2020 at 02:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    1 out of 1 persons will die. Yes Covid is a real disease, how bad is yet to be seen or realized but fact is you can't shut down a service or industrial economy very long or people die from other stuff way more than Covid. Most people agree just need to be smart, good hygene, etc. The fear tactics shut down forever until Covid doesn't kill 1 person crowd is total BS.

As Andy Dufrain said, get busy living or get busy dying. Most are just ready to live. I am still going to be careful though. 95% of people I know with a sane mind think this way. 90% of idiots think we must shut down for 1-2 years when we have 100% conquered Covid.
    Nobody is saying stay shut down forever. We need to open up, but it needs to be done carefully. I think government is trying to do that. The people I see around my area are NOT doing that. There are people on here who obviously aren't.

vCash
    You read it wrong. Look at the colors of the numbers and the lines. The tan ICU number and line is 172. The green suspected infection line and number is 151.The green number is also always above the line and the tan one below the line.
    No, you are reading it wrong. Look at the lines and the up and down. Forget the color of the number. 172 is hospitalized that they suspect have it.

vCash
    Hospitals are burning through PPE now with few COVID patients and without us moving toward any goal.

vCash

Everyone that has common sense wants the re-opening to be phased. Even the President. But since we're talking about football I highly suspect that we will be in at worst phase two at that point since we're talking four months from now. High schools where I live are starting football practice/conditioning on June 8th.

The thing about social distancing, the economy, a "second wave"- which we don't know if it will even happen or not- the reality is we only can live in the present moment and make the best decision based on the circumstances at the present. If the economy and the country is about to fall apart and overall as a country things are improving from a flattening the curve standpoint and they are where I live the logical thing to do is to re-open using the guidelines set forth by the government. IF there is a second wave we will have to deal with it at that time. Re-opening the country in phases doesn't mean that PPE will stop being produced.

I can tell you at the hospital where I work that our vent population is now back to where it normally is on average. I can also tell you that the majority of people are surviving this- and I'm talking about exclusively the ones that are coming to the hospital and are on a vent at some point during their stay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    No, you are reading it wrong. Look at the lines and the up and down. Forget the color of the number. 172 is hospitalized that they suspect have it.
    Look at how the lines connect man and the values before. You are reading it wrong. Good grief.