Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We're not going to play football this fall **!!!!**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    ?It?s not dyin I?m talkin about, Woodrow...IT?S LIVIN!?
    Love Lonesome Dove!

vCash
    Football is happening. High Schools begin summer workouts in June

Georgia and Fla's corona numbers are dropping since they opened up over a week ago.
    Bama's President says football is happening. So did WV's Governor
    Alabama hasnt had anyone under the age of 50 die from the Plague
    This thing attacks the old or people that have health problems. Its time open everything up and lets roll. The carnage from people being out of work will hurt us way more than the virus if we dont get back to normal lives. Hell, the virus is bringing the 2 martini lunch and mimosas at breakfast back to everyday life. Enough
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Football is happening. High Schools begin summer workouts in June

Georgia and Fla's corona numbers are dropping since they opened up over a week ago.
    Bama's President says football is happening. So did WV's Governor
    Alabama hasnt had anyone under the age of 50 die from the Plague
    This thing attacks the old or people that have health problems. Its time open everything up and lets roll. The carnage from people being out of work will hurt us way more than the virus if we dont get back to normal lives. Hell, the virus is bringing the 2 martini lunch and mimosas at breakfast back to everyday life. Enough
    Yes yes yes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I disagree, that's called fraud. If you sell something not knowing if you can fulfill the order that's fraudulent. Strong words I know, but our University doesn't get a pass on that. If they are concerned fans can't attend they need to clearly state that in all of their sales collateral (digital marketing included). Clearly explain what happens if you purchase and you can not use it. I'm on the board of directors for a large summer camp (and we are still in limbo as of this week) and that's exactly what we have to do according to our legal counsel.

edited to say: I think they are absolutely confident games will be played and fans will be there and that's why they are pushing ticket sales and telling people to get excited about football at Davis Wade. Time will tell now.
    It is not fraud. Common man.

They are planning on playing. If we don't they will give everyone a free refund. I got refunds on my daughter there this spring that to be honest they didn't even have to do but they did the right thing and then some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I can't see opening up straining the hospital systems. People expecting the future to be worse simply aren't being logical or don't understand how viruses typically work.
    This isn't just a virus. It's not the flu. It's a pandemic. Historically, you'll find that the 2nd wave is worse than the first. There's not really a question of whether there will be another wave, it's a question of how bad it will be and when it will happen. And it is absolutely possible that it will overwhelm the healthcare system in various regions of the country. I can also tell you that while Georgia is in decline, the southeast has seen a sustained increase in cases the last 4 days in a row with the most significant jump coming yesterday. I completely expect to see stories in the future about PPE shortages, young people dying that didn't even know they had health issues, and ICU bed space limitations. That's a foregone conclusion to "opening up."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    This isn't just a virus. It's not the flu. It's a pandemic. Historically, you'll find that the 2nd wave is worse than the first. There's not really a question of whether there will be another wave, it's a question of how bad it will be and when it will happen. And it is absolutely possible that it will overwhelm the healthcare system in various regions of the country. I can also tell you that while Georgia is in decline, the southeast has seen a sustained increase in cases the last 4 days in a row with the most significant jump coming yesterday. I completely expect to see stories in the future about PPE shortages, young people dying that didn't even know they had health issues, and ICU bed space limitations. That's a foregone conclusion to "opening up."
    It's also not the Spanish Flu either. "It's not the flu" doesn't mean that it's the worst thing in the universe and has no cure and will not get better either. Historically they didn't have the medical advances that we do now in 1918 to make things like vaccines. Of course there will be another wave as we open up- but when that happens more people will have antibodies built up and we will be more prepared from what we have learned from the first wave. I fully expect the media to freak out though. It's what they do. Nevermind that despite crying about how everyone is going to die and that this is the end of the world that it simply hasn't been as bad as everyone feared. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my day off because the hospital census is too low for me to work.

vCash
    I'm not sure how much of that is a foregone conclusion (we will see cases come back, we will see more deaths, there will be people of all ages that find out they have underlying conditions they're unaware of, but we won't necessarily see PPE shortages or the healthcare system overrun), but to the extent it's a foregone conclusion, there's no sense in delaying it. It's going to be bad and tragic but manageable and less bad and tragic than just sticking our heads in the sand and hoping we find a treatment or vaccine before everything falls apart.

vCash
    Second wave? Who knows. We now have three states Washington, FL, and CA showing signs that the virus was in those states as early as November/December.
    IMO we have had this for a lot longer than most think

vCash
    Google the Swine Flu epidemic of 1969. Way worse than this. Nobody quarantined, no businesses shut down and they still held Woodstock that summer.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Historically, you'll find that the 2nd wave is worse than the first. There's not really a question of whether there will be another wave, it's a question of how bad it will be and when it will happen. [/QUOTE]

I know a number of people that had strange illnesses back in Dec - Jan. I've been sick about twice in the last 20 years. In Jan. I had a nasty coughing chest something the doctor called a lung infection. Took me about a month to get over. In hindsight, I probably had the CV but no one was testing for or diagnosing it then.

All that to say, I'm beginning to think that this last 2 months just might be the 2nd wave. Maybe we missed the first wave calling it everything but CV.

Note: For the entire month that I was coughing up a lung, I did it under the impression that is was not infectious. So I went to work and lived life every day. No one at my office or my home has gotten sick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post
    I know a number of people that had strange illnesses back in Dec - Jan. I've been sick about twice in the last 20 years. In Jan. I had a nasty coughing chest something the doctor called a lung infection. Took me about a month to get over. In hindsight, I probably had the CV but no one was testing for or diagnosing it then.

All that to say, I'm beginning to think that this last 2 months just might be the 2nd wave. Maybe we missed the first wave calling it everything but CV.

Note: For the entire month that I was coughing up a lung, I did it under the impression that is was not infectious. So I went to work and lived life every day. No one at my office or my home has gotten sick.
    You most likely did not have Wuhan unless there is a specific reason to think you were exposed. Even testing people now that are showing symptoms, we are having something like a 10-13% positive rate I think? Not saying you didn't; just that the odds are very much against it.

vCash
    There was no second wave with SARS or H1N1 and the Spanish Flu was over a 100 years ago. Things have changed since 1918. Back then the flu travel faster than the news about the flu. There will be hot spots but the word will get out and it wll be stopped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    You most likely did not have Wuhan unless there is a specific reason to think you were exposed.
    I do like to frequent the chinese buffets so there's that. **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It's also not the Spanish Flu either. "It's not the flu" doesn't mean that it's the worst thing in the universe and has no cure and will not get better either. Historically they didn't have the medical advances that we do now in 1918 to make things like vaccines. Of course there will be another wave as we open up- but when that happens more people will have antibodies built up and we will be more prepared from what we have learned from the first wave. I fully expect the media to freak out though. It's what they do. Nevermind that despite crying about how everyone is going to die and that this is the end of the world that it simply hasn't been as bad as everyone feared. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my day off because the hospital census is too low for me to work.
    Actually there is a lot of speculation that it IS about like the Spanish flu with modern nutrition, sanitation, and supportive medical care. Most of the people who are getting oxygen support for example, a MUCH larger number than those on the vent, would have died in 1919.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    There was no second wave with SARS or H1N1 and the Spanish Flu was over a 100 years ago. Things have changed since 1918. Back then the flu travel faster than the news about the flu. There will be hot spots but the word will get out and it wll be stopped.
    We had a vaccine for H1N1. With SARS you got real sick, real quick, so there was little to no pre-symptomatic transmission. That is a MUCH easier disease to isolate and eliminate once you know it's there and what to look for. See my above for the difference in this and Spanish Flu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Google the Swine Flu epidemic of 1969. Way worse than this. Nobody quarantined, no businesses shut down and they still held Woodstock that summer.
    That Woodstock meme that is going around is either ignorantly or intentionally VERY misleading. The peak of that flu pandemic in the US was Dec 68-Jan 69. It went away by March of 69. It returned for a second wave in Nov 69. Woodstock was in Aug 69. There was no flu epidemic in the US at the time of Woodstock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post

The hospital stats that matter say there was no widespread Covid in most places in the US till March.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    That Woodstock meme that is going around is either ignorantly or intentionally VERY misleading. The peak of that flu pandemic in the US was Dec 68-Jan 69. It went away by March of 69. It returned for a second wave in Nov 69. Woodstock was in Aug 69. There was no flu epidemic in the US at the time of Woodstock.
    Nice dodge.

Nothing was shut down, more deaths, more people exposed. All through '69 and it "magically" skipped Woodstock. Must have been all the "medicinal" marijuana use there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I'm not sure how you can say it was worse than this. According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that in total, the virus killed one million people worldwide,[14] from its beginning in July 1968 until the outbreak faded during the winter of 1969-70.[15] The CDC estimated that about 100,000 people died in the U.S; The disease began in July of 1968 and lasted for almost 18 months. In 18 months, it killed 100K in the US.

We are roughly two months and it has killed more than 85,000 in two months.

If you don't think this is a big deal, or everyone is going to be fine, that is certainly your right, but I don't see you can compare roughly 100K deaths in 18 months versus 85000 deaths in two months as being worse than this.

vCash
    What I still haven't figured out is how football will work unless everyone is tested and then everyone is quarantined. The time lapse of how this spreads and how healthy people are just as contagious as sick people is simply beyond me.

I hope they figure it out because I'm tired of playing NCAA football 2014 already.