Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brad Edwards is Out of Touch with Reality

vCash

Brad Edwards is Out of Touch with Reality

I've always liked Brad Edwards, but I'm listening to him on Bo Bounds right now & he's apparently lost his ability to think.

He's discussing why the ESPN FPI has Ole Miss at almost two more wins than MSU, &, while to his credit, he does say that FPI only credits Costello for what he was last year rather than 2018 & that FPI assumes the offense takes a step back due to a coaching change, yet he throws out 2 really stupid statements...

1. Lane Kiffin is more flexible on offense than Leach - Well, one guy has coached at Alabama, Tennessee, & USC while the other has coached at Texas Tech & Wazzou. The pieces & parts on the roster to be flexible exist exponentially more at Kiffin's schools than Leach's. Leach has to recruit a certain type of lower level recruit to do anything on offense. At MSU, as Spurrier said yesterday, they've got a RB they've never had & are trying to figure out what to do with him.

2. Edwards then goes on to say that he think Kiffin will recruit much better than Leach. Well.... again, one guy has recruited to Alabama, Tennessee, & USC & the other Wazzou & TT. How do you even compare the recruiting ability when you consider where they've coached?

All this to say, people think they have Leach figured out. They think after 18 years as a head coach, they know exactly what he can do & what he brings to the table, however, they forget that he's coached at Texas Tech & Washington State & regardless of how much you think you have him figured out, you have no idea what he'll do with more local talent & better players on his roster.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I've always liked Brad Edwards, but I'm listening to him on Bo Bounds right now & he's apparently lost his ability to think.

He's discussing why the ESPN FPI has Ole Miss at almost two more wins than MSU, &, while to his credit, he does say that FPI only credits Costello for what he was last year rather than 2018 & that FPI assumes the offense takes a step back due to a coaching change, yet he throws out 2 really stupid statements...

1. Lane Kiffin is more flexible on offense than Leach - Well, one guy has coached at Alabama, Tennessee, & USC while the other has coached at Texas Tech & Wazzou. The pieces & parts on the roster to be flexible exist exponentially more at Kiffin's schools than Leach's. Leach has to recruit a certain type of lower level recruit to do anything on offense. At MSU, as Spurrier said yesterday, they've got a RB they've never had & are trying to figure out what to do with him.

2. Edwards then goes on to say that he think Kiffin will recruit much better than Leach. Well.... again, one guy has recruited to Alabama, Tennessee, & USC & the other Wazzou & TT. How do you even compare the recruiting ability when you consider where they've coached?

All this to say, people think they have Leach figured out. They think after 18 years as a head coach, they know exactly what he can do & what he brings to the table, however, they forget that he's coached at Texas Tech & Washington State & regardless of how much you think you have him figured out, you have no idea what he'll do with more local talent & better players on his roster.
    I would say that a guy taking a QB that no one really wants and winning 11 games isn't a coach that people have "figured out". Kiffin is a good coach but he has typically always had a talent advantage when he has been successful. USC fired him and immediately improved with Coach O as interim. The guy isn't that great of a head coach. He is a pretty good OC. I am not sure he is that great of a recruiter but he did go all out hiring recruiter coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I would say that a guy taking a QB that no one really wants and winning 11 games isn't a coach that people have "figured out". Kiffin is a good coach but he has typically always had a talent advantage when he has been successful. USC fired him and immediately improved with Coach O as interim. The guy isn't that great of a head coach. He is a pretty good OC. I am not sure he is that great of a recruiter but he did go all out hiring recruiter coaches.
    But that QB had Amari Cooper, TJ Yeldon, & others around him. You can't discount that

I just honestly don't respect much anything that a coach does at Alabama. I don't think it's transferable to any other school, except maybe Ohio State

vCash
    So what are some examples of leach changing system to fit talent? I think you're losing over something brad is probably right about. I certainly think kiffin is more flexible, but I also think leach is a better coach. Regardless of coach, we hardly ever outrecruit OM in rankings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So what are some examples of leach changing system to fit talent? I think you're losing over something brad is probably right about. I certainly think kiffin is more flexible, but I also think leach is a better coach. Regardless of coach, we hardly ever outrecruit OM in rankings
    I'm sure there are examples, but when has he ever had talent to adapt to?

vCash
    He did a pretty dang good job as the OC at Oklahoma in '99. OU went from 11th in the conference in offense in '98 to first in just one year. I think the dude can coach.

ETA Just one example of him coaching with talent.

vCash
    I'm sure there are examples, but when has he ever had talent to adapt to?
    2014 bama - sims

vCash
    2017 fau: 3994 rush yds, 2983 pass
    2018 fau: 2902 rush, 2844 pass
    2019 fau: 2324 rush, 3956 pass

All 3 years, top 25 offense. Seems he was "flexible". Not sure why you're bent out of shape over this... leach is a better coach

vCash
    But that QB had Amari Cooper, TJ Yeldon, & others around him. You can't discount that

I just honestly don't respect much anything that a coach does at Alabama. I don't think it's transferable to any other school, except maybe Ohio State
    I think he's talking about Minshew.

I agree. Yeah, what Kiffin did at Alabama was nice, but if you're talking about coaching ability you have to consider the apples and oranges of working with Alabama talent versus WSU talent. That seems to be totally discounted by some "experts" addressing this topic.

vCash
    2014 bama - sims
    Again, I believe someone that's good at Madden can adapt Bama's offense. Not hard when you have infinite talent to work with

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I think he's talking about Minshew.

I agree. Yeah, what Kiffin did at Alabama was nice, but if you're talking about coaching ability you have to consider the apples and oranges of working with Alabama talent versus WSU talent. That seems to be totally discounted by some "experts" addressing this topic.
    Exactly, good point on Minshew.

Leach essentially just took a guy off the street & turned him into a Heisman candidate while Kiffin took an offense with multiple future pro bowlers on it & adapted it.

vCash
    2017 fau: 3994 rush yds, 2983 pass
    2018 fau: 2902 rush, 2844 pass
    2019 fau: 2324 rush, 3956 pass

All 3 years, top 25 offense. Seems he was "flexible". Not sure why you're bent out of shape over this... leach is a better coach
    I'm bent out of shape because I'm tired of formulas, like FPI & analytics, having no accountability.

For example: if Rosebowl says MSU is going to the Rosebowl & MSU falls far short of that, he has to live with that nickname for decades. His opinion has accountability.

Whereas FPI, Bill Connolly, Brad Edwards, Corona models, etc all get passes because analytics have no accountability. The people who put together a bad formula are never held accountable because they just say it's what the numbers say & thus are thought of as objective, while no one brings up the fact that it was there opinion that created the algorithm that spit out a terrible prediction.

You know which model & analytics are the most accurate? Las Vegas odds makers & do you know why Las Vegas odds makers models are the most accurate? because they have skin in the game & are held accountable based on winning & losing money.

Amazing how much better predictions get when people are held accountable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    He did a pretty dang good job as the OC at Oklahoma in '99. OU went from 11th in the conference in offense in '98 to first in just one year. I think the dude can coach.

ETA Just one example of him coaching with talent.
    He did the same at Kentucky, Valdosa St and the Iowa college (all struggled offensively before he got there. I just finished his book if you can't tell). He's literally done it everywhere he's been. We will score plenty on offense so I'm not sure why that's a focus of Edwards? Keeping people out of the endzone is far more of a question mark in my mind.

vCash
    Being an OC and an HC are not comparable for future projections on how someone will do. Anyone remember Joe Moorhead? I know he was an HC at Tenn and USC but those gigs didn't last very long. So focus on FAU and what he did there. With that being said I think Leach is going to do better in the beginning but after say 3 years and the money starts flowing again who knows. Kiffin will do fine, Leach will do better and that's all I care about.

vCash
    Lane Kiffin is the reason that ole miss beat Bama twice. He had RB’s that could not even be slowed down by the ole miss D and he insisted on passing the ball as much as ole miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Lane Kiffin is the reason that ole miss beat Bama twice. He had RB’s that could not even be slowed down by the ole miss D and he insisted on passing the ball as much as ole miss.
    I agree with the premise, but that's on saban even if kiffin was being dumb

vCash
    The truth of he matter is Edwards is a prick Bama homer who is only propping up Kiffin because he coached at Bama. I have never liked him. I don't like Bo's show. I don't listen to Bo's show. He's a prick just like all the guest on his show are pricks. All he has is perma donnas on his show and Bo is on his knees the entire show. He is a yes man. What the guest say on his show he agrees with them. Screw him and his show. It sucks donkey dicks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    The truth of he matter is Edwards is a prick Bama homer who is only propping up Kiffin because he coached at Bama. I have never liked him. I don't like Bo's show. I don't listen to Bo's show. He's a prick just like all the guest on his show are pricks. All he has is perma donnas on his show and Bo is on his knees the entire show. He is a yes man. What the guest say on his show he agrees with them. Screw him and his show. It sucks donkey dicks.
    Bo goes out of his way to be fair & balanced with Ole Miss fans to the point where he makes everything Ole Miss sound good & everything MSU is met with skepticism.

He's an MSU fan, so I know what he's doing. He trying to run a successful business & to do that, he needs both fan bases to listen to his show. You can really tell due to how his sidekick Blake has changed. When Blake first came on the show, he was heavy MSU, but now he acts just like Bo, so you can tell he was coached on how to handle the rivalry to benefit the show.

however, it just comes across in a smug way with MSU. Guests like Steve Robertson & others are forced to defend MSU on the show.

Edwards has a blue blood mindset & still sees MSU as Mittittippii Tate like he did in his childhood. Although, MSU has changed, in Edwards mind, he stills sees it as the same place. He simply doesn't get it.

vCash
    The top coaches recruit to their systems. They don't have to change their systems to match talent (other than minor tweaks). If Leach can't recruit to his system, he will fail. But he's won with lower ranked recruiting. That tells me he's damn good at what he does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    The top coaches recruit to their systems. They don't have to change their systems to match talent (other than minor tweaks). If Leach can't recruit to his system, he will fail. But he's won with lower ranked recruiting. That tells me he's damn good at what he does.
    Something Leech said in his book that was very interesting. I'm paraphrasing but it was basically "When I went to Kentucky everyone said you are going to play these incredible defensive players. Everyone on defense in the SEC is like Deoin Sanders and Warren Sapp. Well guess what? I'm going to have players on offensive like I've never had before either."

That was 10 years ago but I think that still applies.