Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Breakdown of Mike Leach Offense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The difference is Leach will have SEC talent at MSU. Not Big 12 talent or PAC 12 after dark talent.
    We will never have the talent Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&m, Fla, Georgia have. It is what it is
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Wash state was also the worst recruiter in P5 in the most rural location in P5. I have no idea if he can average 7.1-4.9 here like Mullen did, but being an annual bowl team at wash state was damn near a miracle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We will never have the talent Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&m, Fla, Georgia have. It is what it is
    The nfl draft disagrees with you, no?

Regardless, we do have OM, ark, usce, Ky, vandy, mizzou, TN talent.
    Last edited by confucius say; 05-17-2020 at 08:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post

Word

vCash

Which one of those schools have we out-drafted the last 10 years?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Which one of those schools have we out-drafted the last 10 years?
    I know we are ahead of Aggie in the playoff era (2015-2020).
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun...layoff-era/amp

And at least 14 in the last 3 drafts. I know that doubles Aggie. Won't touch bama or LSU. Appears to be more than auburn though. Have not done the math on Georgia or FLA during that time period.
    Last edited by confucius say; 05-17-2020 at 09:03 PM.

vCash
    I know we are ahead of Aggie in the playoff era (2015-2020).
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun...layoff-era/amp

And at least 14 in the last 3 drafts. Not sure how that measures up against Aggie.
    I think we end up producing a quality amount of NFL guys, but NFL draft picks don't tell the entire story of how much talent you because it doesn't take into account how long it took that player to become a quality SEC player.

At Auburn & A&M, two teams who we have been right there with NFL draft picks, they get a little more polished player on campus & therefore instead of getting 1.5 quality years out of them like we do, they get 2-2.5 quality years out of them. That helps your depth & prevents you from having holes on your roster.

Think about how many years we've got to recruit a JUCO player to come in & start. That JUCO guy may end up an NFL draft pick, but we really only get 1-1.5 quality years out of him, while A&M & Auburn may have gotten 2-3 quality years out of their NFL draft. The picks on counted the same on paper but the college production is a good big different.

How many good years did we get out of Darius Slay? Willie Gay? Montez Sweat, Hunter Renfroe, Chris Stratton, Martinas Rankin, etc?

With only 3-4 years in a college career, how quickly they become a quality matters a great deal
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-17-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    No. But we will also have better talent than Texas Tech and Washington State when we go up against those teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think we end up producing a quality amount of NFL guys, but NFL draft picks don't tell the entire story of how much talent you because it doesn't take into account how long it took that player to become a quality SEC player.

At Auburn & A&M, two teams who we have been right there with NFL draft picks, they get a little more polished player on campus & therefore instead of getting 1.5 quality years out of them like we do, they get 2-2.5 quality years out of them. That helps your depth & prevents you from having holes on your roster.

Think about how many years we've got to recruit a JUCO player to come in & start. That JUCO guy may end up an NFL draft pick, but we really only get 1-1.5 quality years out of him, while A&M & Auburn may have gotten 2-3 quality years out of their NFL draft. The picks on counted the same on paper but the college production is a good big different.

How many good years did we get out of Darius Slay? Willie Gay? Montez Sweat, Hunter Renfroe, Chris Stratton, Martinas Rankin, etc?

With only 3-4 years in a college career, how quickly they become a quality matters a great deal
    That's why Dan would **** us over when he wouldn't recruit an entire position group and we would have all freshmen or sub SEC talent at a position group like wide receiver. Our formula is to get 22 juniors or seniors at every position group unless we find a Jeffrey Simmons who can come in and play right away and have an impact. That was our 2014 team if you look at the depth chart.

vCash
    Here's what I don't get about the Leach skeptics.

They're like- "He's not going to win a National Title here". But no one is saying that we're going to win a National Title. Most people are expecting him to get us one more win per year on average. That really equates out to beating who we are supposed to and then upsetting someone. Dan showed that we can beat who we are supposed to consistently. Jackie showed that we could upset people consistently. I don't see why the right coach couldn't do both because both Dan and Jackie had obvious flaws that held both back.

Then some are like- "Well we won't win because his offense won't work here". If they're not outright saying it they're definitely insinuating it. WHY? Yes, Leach likes to throw it a lot but the beauty is he doesn't require elite five star talent to make it work. People all the time say "Well, what would Omarr Conner have done in the spread option"- well let's turn it around a little bit- what would Bear, Jameon, Fred Brown, and Fred Ross done in the Air Raid? What about Justin Jenkins, Larry Huntington, and Terrell Grindle? People can't say Leach's offense is too complex. It has a reputation the opposite way so the "our players don't know the offense excuse" is already out the door.

The reality is the SEC is becoming a passing league- when Alabama and LSU are passing the ball like they are it says a lot. Texas A&M beat Alabama on the road with it. Ole Miss under Freeze ran a lot of Air Raid concepts and beat Alabama and others with it. Why not Mississippi State? Because "it's not what we do"? Which for the past ten years is mostly underachieve and go to a decent bowl while having no chance to beat Alabama or upset anyone. And sure that's better than Felker, Croom, and Shira....but is that better than Jackie?

MSU CAN pass the ball. But we have to have a coach that emphasizes discipline and that's why Moorhead didn't work. Heck- Moorhead ran Fitz as much or more than Dan and ran Kylin all year and his offense still didn't work.

And sure- next year may be rough. But I bet we look better coached. And as Leach assembles the talent he needs I bet we will be really good by 2023. And when I say really good- I mean 1999, 2014 good.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    So an 11-1 B12 team shouldnt be expected to beat an 8-4 OM team? Spike Dykes was 150-82 at TT before Leach got there- let's not act like they were some doorknob. Spike Dykes conference winning percentage? .587- Leach? .588. TT hadnt had a losing season for 8 years when Leach took over- so he took over a program that was very steady

Leach was .500 in conference in the Pac-12 and thats solid for them. But its not a tough conference. Their OOC schedule was weak as rainwater. Beating up Eastern Washington and Portland State every year makes it easy to pad your record.

Let's not forget that in year 8 under Leach- They had a losing record last year
    We had a losing record with Dan Mullen in year 8 as well. He had a .500 conference record in the pac 12 because he took over a team that had won about 4 games in the previous 4 years to his arrival and he had to build the roster talent. He won 8.5 games a year once he had his guys at Washington State. He has a winning record against Oregon, A&M, and Ole Miss and he beat USC multiple times. He upset the #1 team in the country (Texas) and also beat them when they were ranked #4 in the country. Texas Tech has fallen off the map since his departure. He was left with a solid foundation and he slightly elevated it. What has transpired since he left Tech shows that both he and his predecessor were good coaches.

Diminishing his accomplishments makes you look like you’re trying way too hard.
    Last edited by Jarius; 05-17-2020 at 10:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'm starving for football & saw this video posted somewhere else.

It's an NFL draft guru breaking down the Wazzou QB, but to do that he really goes in depth with the Leach offense. It's strengths & deficiencies.

I'm not all the way through it, but here are a couple early thought's I've had:

1. Offense is so spread out that it creates a ton of space. I look at the WRs we're currently recruiting & the speed they possess & am salivating at what guys like Robertson, Teddy Knox, Tulu, K Johnson, Nabors, Coleman, etc could do in this offense. Sheesh it could be fun if they close on these guys. It also makes sense as to why we haven't recruited some other in-state WRs as hard. It's not that those guys aren't good players & may play in the NFL, I just think that Leach believes that if the QB makes quick decisions & gets the ball out his hand, there just isn't much of a need for big bodied guys that have average speed. With 5 WRs & a good decision maker at WR, he just wants to put a boat load of speed on the field & have the QB throw to the open guy.

2. QB has to get he ball out quickly & as much as I love Shrader, this will be his battle. Shrader has a longer release, which I'm sure Leach will want to attempt to shorten.

3. Bo Bounds interviewed Spurrier Jr recently & Jr said "We've never had a running back like this & are trying to figure out how to use him". Throw Marks right in there with Kylin in talent & the point is Mike Leach has never had running backs like this & they are trying to adapt the offense to those players. To me, the immediate thing I think of is how they run their redzone offense. It'll be fun to see how Leach adapts this offense to premier RBs he's never had.

4. I love how little pump fakes are built into the early portions of some plays. Throws off the pass rush & coverage. Actually reminds me some of Freeze's offense in that regard

5. Oregon gives a good bit of cushion to the WRs. It'll be interesting how Leach, like every other new SEC coach, handles press coverage from 1st round caliber CBs.

I can't wait to see us run this & the ceiling of Mississippi State in this offense with the type of players we have access. I mean, this game is against Oregon & Oregon doesn't have bad players. Maybe not LSU, Auburn, or Bama type players, but Oregon Certainly has mid-level SEC type talent on defense.

Enjoy & let me know what you see.

Leach is going to run about 5-6 plays with tags. Its not really much to breakdown. But it is repped so much it becomes muscle memory. He will have more talent here than he has had anywhere else, as its been stated. But he is going to see a lot of cover 1 from LSU, man match quarters from Bama and exotic looks from Auburn. He has shown it will work go back and watch WSU vs Auburn in 2013. WSU easily shouldve won that game but red zone killed them.

The air raid is a lot like the triple option. Its an equalizer not anything special. It is simple. 2-3 pass protections at most. 4 verticals, mesh, y cross, smash and triangle read. Post and wheel tags. Inside zone draw and wrap. Thats the offense.

vCash
    Croom and his staff recruited and developed nfl guys
    Mullen and his staff recruited and developed nfl guys
    Moorhead and his staff recruited and developed nfl guys
    On the Defensive side of the ball ...

There is no reason to believe CML and his staff won’t have the same type of recruiting and development on the defensive side of the ball as the previous head coaches and staffs
    the difference is Going to be we put more guys in the league on the offensive side of the ball with CML than With these last 3 coaches ..

Bottom line.. just sit back and enjoy.. Mike Leach is the head coach at Miss State that in itself should be enough to have everyone off the charts excited ...