Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
I think he will try.

I think he will learn that he better close it down a little. I'm not saying get foot to foot- but we cant handle Bama, LSU, Fla, Georgia, A&M, or Auburn most years at 3 feet. 2 feet will most likely be what he has to adjust to. They have people that can make OL guys whiff. SEC D's also arent scared to blitz those gaps and play press coverage when they do it.
Can you expound on this a little?

If they make a guy wiff in one on one wouldn't they get through anyway? Yeah with 2ft splits a guy would be a little closer to help, but if the DT was that good wouldn't he get through a lunging attempt at help anyway. Is it mainly just a badass nose straight up on a center that you're worried about?

Do you not think it's helpful to have the ends much further away from the QB because of the splits? Or even the 3 tech further away? That seems like a huge benefit to me.

Wouldn't blitzing linebackers through the gaps set up well for mesh, shallow cross and y stick? I can see how that would be more difficult against press coverage, but generally only Alabama, LSU and maybe Auburn play that way and have the guys to do it. We aren't doing anything offensively against those defenses anyway, so I like the idea of trying something different. Something that's been proven to work against caliber of defenses we'll play most of the time, and something that will at least hopefully keep those elite defenses off balanced.