Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Breakdown of Mike Leach Offense

vCash

Good Breakdown of Mike Leach Offense

I'm starving for football & saw this video posted somewhere else.

It's an NFL draft guru breaking down the Wazzou QB, but to do that he really goes in depth with the Leach offense. It's strengths & deficiencies.

I'm not all the way through it, but here are a couple early thought's I've had:

1. Offense is so spread out that it creates a ton of space. I look at the WRs we're currently recruiting & the speed they possess & am salivating at what guys like Robertson, Teddy Knox, Tulu, K Johnson, Nabors, Coleman, etc could do in this offense. Sheesh it could be fun if they close on these guys. It also makes sense as to why we haven't recruited some other in-state WRs as hard. It's not that those guys aren't good players & may play in the NFL, I just think that Leach believes that if the QB makes quick decisions & gets the ball out his hand, there just isn't much of a need for big bodied guys that have average speed. With 5 WRs & a good decision maker at WR, he just wants to put a boat load of speed on the field & have the QB throw to the open guy.

2. QB has to get he ball out quickly & as much as I love Shrader, this will be his battle. Shrader has a longer release, which I'm sure Leach will want to attempt to shorten.

3. Bo Bounds interviewed Spurrier Jr recently & Jr said "We've never had a running back like this & are trying to figure out how to use him". Throw Marks right in there with Kylin in talent & the point is Mike Leach has never had running backs like this & they are trying to adapt the offense to those players. To me, the immediate thing I think of is how they run their redzone offense. It'll be fun to see how Leach adapts this offense to premier RBs he's never had.

4. I love how little pump fakes are built into the early portions of some plays. Throws off the pass rush & coverage. Actually reminds me some of Freeze's offense in that regard

5. Oregon gives a good bit of cushion to the WRs. It'll be interesting how Leach, like every other new SEC coach, handles press coverage from 1st round caliber CBs.

I can't wait to see us run this & the ceiling of Mississippi State in this offense with the type of players we have access. I mean, this game is against Oregon & Oregon doesn't have bad players. Maybe not LSU, Auburn, or Bama type players, but Oregon Certainly has mid-level SEC type talent on defense.

Enjoy & let me know what you see.

Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-13-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I'm currently reading his book. It definitely gives a lot of good insight into his system and how he wants to run a program overall. I see why a few players probably want to leave (he makes it hard).

vCash
    Good find. Lots of good in here.

The mesh and sail and smash concepts are run over and over. Simple, but a lot on the qb to process.

Screens screens screens. I like it. Also the RB had I would guess 5-6 receptions and should have had a few more.

One thing about if you see more press man coverage in the sec, the db's eyes are not going to be on the qb and the qb is unaccounted for in man unless they play man across the board and spy, which limits the max you can rush to 5 (which should prevent overloading a protection). If you don't spy and bring 6 (or 5 with man-free behind it) a mobile qb could kill press man. To me, the next step for a leach offense to kill it is a mobile qb like a mahomes or a college Dak.
    Last edited by confucius say; 05-15-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Good post. Watch our 98 game against Kentucky to see how he will deal with SEC defenses. He lit our ass up.....and everyone else.

vCash
    Or Auburn 2013. 31-24 loss on the road to a team that played in the National Title game with a 6-7 Wazzu team. Auburn also scored on a 100 yard KO return which was essentially the difference in the game.

vCash
    Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I'm an optimist by heart, especially when it comes to MSU... lord knows I defended MoHead and Mullen for way too long. But I really think Leach is gonna kill it here. I think he's drooling at the talent, especially on D, and really wants to prove people wrong. I think the worry with Leach is if/when he becomes complacent. But even then I think we'll be back to Mullen status. Occasional 8-9 win season sandwiched in between 6-7 win ones.
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 05-15-2020 at 04:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I'm an optimist by heart, especially when it comes to MSU... lord knows I defended MoHead and Mullen for way too long. But I really think Leach is gonna kill it here. I think he's drooling at the talent, especially on D, and really wants to prove people wrong. I think the worry with Leach is if/when he becomes complacent. But even then I think we'll be back to Mullen status. Occasional 8-9 win season sandwiched in between 6-7 win ones.
    I think he's going to kill it.

It's not just the defensive talent, he's already getting better QB & WR talent than he's ever had.

This isn't a coach trying to make a name for himself. This is a coach trying top off a career & show that he belongs in the same class as Saban, Meyer, Smart, etc.

This is a coach that likely feels like he has done more to change college football offenses than most anyone in the past 30 years yet has been seen as a joke & someone undesirable by blue bloods.

I think he's out for blood & to give the blue bloods a big 17 u that's coming about 10 years late.

I think we're going to get his best effort because his tenure at MSU will write the final chapter of his legacy.

Is he A GREAT coach or just an innovator? The MSU tenure will be that chapter & I think he's ready for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think he's going to kill it.

It's not just the defensive talent, he's already getting better QB & WR talent than he's ever had.

This isn't a coach trying to make a name for himself. This is a coach trying top off a career & show that he belongs in the same class as Saban, Meyer, Smart, etc.

This is a coach that likely feels like he has done more to change college football offenses than most anyone in the past 30 years yet has been seen as a joke & someone undesirable by blue bloods.

I think he's out for blood & to give the blue bloods a big 17 u that's coming about 10 years late.

I think we're going to get his best effort because his tenure at MSU will write the final chapter of his legacy.

Is he A GREAT coach or just an innovator? The MSU tenure will be that chapter & I think he's ready for it.
    I definitely feel like he appreciates what MSU has more than Mullen did. More fans should have a big problem with how he neglected his job at the end of every year looking out for himself. It's OK to look out for and better yourself- but you shouldn't neglect your current job in the process. That's for any job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    More fans should have a big problem with how [Mullen] neglected his job at the end of every year looking out for himself. It's OK to look out for and better yourself- but you shouldn't neglect your current job in the process. That's for any job.
    I will always have a negative feeling about him for mailing it in for the 2014 Egg Bowl. We were pretty much assured a playoff spot with a victory and could have played for a championship that year. Instead, he was up to his "got to get out of here" games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Or Auburn 2013. 31-24 loss on the road to a team that played in the National Title game with a 6-7 Wazzu team. Auburn also scored on a 100 yard KO return which was essentially the difference in the game.
    They also had all offseason to get ready for Auburn as it was the season opener.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    They also had all offseason to get ready for Auburn as it was the season opener.
    Meh, that works both ways. Auburn had all offseason to prepare for leach too.

And, it would have been harder for wazzu to prepare for auburn bc auburn had an entire new staff and scheme coming in at that time in 2013 with Gus as first year HC and Ellis Johnson as first year DC. I guess leach could have studied Ellis's 2012 film at usm and 2008-2011 usce film.

vCash
    They had years of film on Gus between Auburn and Ark State and on EJ's D's. . Not to mention that was Nick Marshall's 1st game and he was still getting adjusted to playing QB.

Auburn was coming off a 3-9 season and winless in the SEC. New QB. New DC. Hell, Auburn struggled to beat our rebuilding team in 2013 that went 7-6. Had to score with under 20 seconds left to beat us at Auburn.

Just dont look at that game vs Wash State as some tell tale sign of things to come.

vCash
    They had years of film on Gus between Auburn and Ark State and on EJ's D's. . Not to mention that was Nick Marshall's 1st game and he was still getting adjusted to playing QB.

Auburn was coming off a 3-9 season and winless in the SEC. New QB. New DC. Hell, Auburn struggled to beat our rebuilding team in 2013 that went 7-6. Had to score with under 20 seconds left to beat us at Auburn.

Just dont look at that game vs Wash State as some tell tale sign of things to come.
    Mike Leach's all time record as a coach is 139-90 = 60% winning Percentage while his bowl record is 7-8 which equates to a 46% winning %

So we see a drop of 14% in bowl games vs the regular season.

Since bowls are a similar prep as the first games of a season, I'm not sure how you can take the stance you are taking. It seems as if the other team having time to prepare for Mike Leach is much more beneficial to them than it is for Mike Leach having more time to prepare for the other team.

Now, I realize you're going to gerrymander a way to make your point valid, but there is clearly a legitimate alternative view point.

vCash
    Leach is a good coach and will do a good job. He is recruiting better than expected so far. But his 1st team in Sville is not overly-suited to what he wants to do. And with our problems on D- it makes the job tougher. Thats all I'm saying.

You can get wide splits in the Big 12 or Pac-12. In D-Line Heaven that is the SEC- you cannot. Thats the one thing I will be most interested in watching this year.

vCash
    Leach is a good coach and will do a good job. He is recruiting better than expected so far. But his 1st team in Sville is not overly-suited to what he wants to do. And with our problems on D- it makes the job tougher. Thats all I'm saying.

You can get wide splits in the Big 12 or Pac-12. In D-Line Heaven that is the SEC- you cannot. Thats the one thing I will be most interested in watching this year.
    I agree with that.

My personal hope is that this year looks similar to Mullen's 2009 season.

That season we missed a bowl game, I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but it was clear we were well coached & about to make a move.

I want to see the offense work & look organized. If we do that, we should go bowling, but that's the bigger priority to me.

vCash

You don't think we will try to have wide splits?
    Or you think we will and won't be able to pass protect doing so?

vCash
    I agree with that.

My personal hope is that this year looks similar to Mullen's 2009 season.

That season we missed a bowl game, I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but it was clear we were well coached & about to make a move.

I want to see the offense work & look organized. If we do that, we should go bowling, but that's the bigger priority to me.
    I agree. I'd rather win 5 games and look competent than win 6 like we did last year while looking like a shit show every week. In 2009, you knew we were going somewhere. I never got that sense from JoMo his entire tenure here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I agree. I'd rather win 5 games and look competent than win 6 like we did last year while looking like a shit show every week. In 2009, you knew we were going somewhere. I never got that sense from JoMo his entire tenure here.
    Yeah, I can point out certain games in coaches' first years that you knew the team was well coached.

2009 LSU - We lost, but made offensive plays that day that let you know we were really improving.

2012 Ole Miss vs Texas - Yes Ole Miss got blown out that night but the offense scored 31 points with a number of big plays. If you watched that night, you had to know that Freeze knew what he was doing offensively.

Which game will Leach show us that this year?

vCash

What I liked about that game was how physical Wash St was in it ... especially on D. They really lost by giving up explosive plays ... otherwise their D played pretty well. And that was only Leach's 2nd year too. That was a pretty darn physical game for a 1st game of year OOC game.

I'm interested to see how the wide splits work too.

vCash
    Yeah, I can point out certain games in coaches' first years that you knew the team was well coached.

2009 LSU - We lost, but made offensive plays that day that let you know we were really improving.

2012 Ole Miss vs Texas - Yes Ole Miss got blown out that night but the offense scored 31 points with a number of big plays. If you watched that night, you had to know that Freeze knew what he was doing offensively.

Which game will Leach show us that this year?
    You know, I kinda feel like we might show up and smack Bama around a little before they pull away in the 2nd half. We play them earlier than normal and have a week off before we play them too.