Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Students Returning In The Fall

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    Test, Contact Trace, and Isolate.
    I'm genuinely interested if you have a solution on how the hell to test 20K+ students every week. Personally I don't believe it's possible. Not discounting that it's a good idea, I just don't have a clue on you could conceivably accomplish that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I'm genuinely interested if you have a solution on how the hell to test 20K+ students every week. Personally I don't believe it's possible. Not discounting that it's a good idea, I just don't have a clue on you could conceivably accomplish that.
    I'm not Dr Keenum.

That's the plan listed by MSU.

You just need 30,000 tests a week. A rapid response saliva test might work best. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/compan...ry?id=70651002

I think MSU has a couple of places to complete the tests. https://www.msstate.edu/newsroom/art...-msdh-covid-19

The alternative is not having students on campus.

Y'all act like there is some miracle option.

There isn't.

vCash
    Y'all do know he isn't the one that will make that call, right? MSU won't make that call. As it stands now I think they will be there. That's as it stands now. A lot will depend on what happens the next two months.

vCash
    I'm not Dr Keenum.

That's the plan listed by MSU.

You just need 30,000 tests a week. A rapid response saliva test might work best. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/compan...ry?id=70651002

I think MSU has a couple of places to complete the tests. https://www.msstate.edu/newsroom/art...-msdh-covid-19

The alternative is not having students on campus.

Y'all act like there is some miracle option.

There isn't.
    # of students at a university X every university in US / per week. That sounds feasible. ***

There's another alternative you're not considering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Keenum just killed thousands if not millions *
    I laughed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Keenum just killed thousands if not millions *
    Probably trillions. Trillions of MSU students with the Covid-19.*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    The MSU task force will produce guidelines to assist MSU across all campuses in transitioning back to more traditional campus activities. These will include:

?Revising the academic calendar to minimize disruption.

?Focusing on spread reduction techniques including social and physical distancing, increased cleaning and disinfectant protocols across facilities, and the availability and use of face coverings.

?Re-populating MSU through a robust screening strategy bolstered by testing where needed and contact tracing. Containment and isolation procedures if positive COVID-19 cases become present on campus.

?Exploring the appropriate mixture of hybrid, online, and face-to-face instruction, classroom and other facilities usage, and innovative class scheduling.

?Considering innovative and alternative best practices in campus life, business functions, athletics, Extension and other public outreach, and campus life.

So will there be football with fans? No idea..
    Seems like they are going to "Physical Distance", and come up with "innovative and alternative" plans for "Athletics".

Which reads to me like, "if we have sports, there will be no fans".

Also hard to "testing where needed and contact tracing. Containment and isolation procedures if positive COVID-19 cases become present on campus" When you invite 60,000 visitors to campus....

vCash
    Any word on how they will shutdown (and for how long) if some students get the flu this winter?

Oh wait...

vCash
    I would imagine that most students will come back to campus and go back to daily life as usual while online options will be offered to non-traditional and immunocompromised students. Teachers will probably maintain social distance and do a lot from zoom/skype for office hours. It will run rampant through a college or university and students will get a sore throat and sniffles...and probably never slow down.

It's the older teachers and non-traditional students that will be at most risk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    Any word on how they will shutdown (and for how long) if some students get the flu this winter?

Oh wait...

I actually know someone who got H1N1 through an outbreak in a dorm at Southern, and they closed to dorm down for a few weeks. It seems like that should be sufficient with COVID. My fear is that if there is an outbreak, everyone freaks out again and wants to shut down the school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I would imagine that most students will come back to campus and go back to daily life as usual while online options will be offered to non-traditional and immunocompromised students. Teachers will probably maintain social distance and do a lot from zoom/skype for office hours. It will run rampant through a college or university and students will get a sore throat and sniffles...and probably never slow down.

It's the older teachers and non-traditional students that will be at most risk.
    I have heard that there is some talk of the large core classes moving on-line. Things like US History, English Comp, College Algebra, Intro to Psych, etc. A ton of those are already taught online anyway - and avoiding having those big theater style classes full of 250 kids who will just be sitting and watching a power point makes total sense. This actually could be a good thing and push schools to re-examine how they approach those type classes and why they need them to begin with.

Another approach could be to test out of taking core. I known when I was a HS Sr., I drove over for testing day and CLEP'd out of Biology and Algebra. I'm not certain they do that anymore since dual enrollment and AP have cut the need for a lot of it. Wouldn't it be great if they took the first week of those core classes, gave you a competency test, and then you had the option of taking that grade as your final grade or continuing the class?
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I'm genuinely interested if you have a solution on how the hell to test 20K+ students every week.
    Sounds like a job for the athletic department. They have no problem getting 50k through a metal detector and fed on
    Saturdays.***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    # of students at a university X every university in US / per week. That sounds feasible. ***

There's another alternative you're not considering.
    It's feasible at in other places....

No. There is not.

vCash
    It's feasible at in other places....

No. There is not.
    Yes ... there is. And I guess we could get to where half our workforce is focused on nothing but Covid testing, tracing, etc.

vCash
    Yes ... there is. And I guess we could get to where half our workforce is focused on nothing but Covid testing, tracing, etc.
    Please Expound.

And Cite where it will Millions to contact trace...
    The Experts say we need 1:1,000

The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security and the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO) estimate that to begin effective reopen and restart efforts, a cadre of at least 100,000 contact investigators is needed to rapidly identify, contain, support, and re-test individuals who are infected and have been exposed.
    The State of Mississippi needs 907....

MSU would need 30 Contact tracers...

Maybe using GA's in this department...https://www.biochemistry.msstate.edu...rospective.php

Explain how that is not feasible.

vCash
    Please Expound.

And Cite where it will Millions to contact trace...
    The Experts say we need 1:1,000

The State of Mississippi needs 907....

MSU would need 30 Contact tracers...

Maybe using GA's in this department...https://www.biochemistry.msstate.edu...rospective.php

Explain how that is not feasible.
    So mine was obviously and exaggeration. But let's say 1000/state. That's 50,000 right there. So we spin up another TSA like agency to do this? But let's say it's temporary (which it won't be allowed to be) ... what do you do with those workers once they no longer needed to test and trace folks? They gonna run around stopping folks so they can take their temps? You'd probably feel safer then I guess.

All that stuff don't just happen with someone snapping their fingers. Just like the Defense Production Act don't just happen overnight after Trump snaps his fingers. Mobilization or/and reallocation by the government of large groups or people/resources is extremely bureaucratic and takes time/planning. Maybe most of that is already in place, but I kinda doubt it myself.

vCash
    So mine was obviously and exaggeration. But let's say 1000/state. That's 50,000 right there. So we spin up another TSA like agency to do this? But let's say it's temporary (which it won't be allowed to be) ... what do you do with those workers once they no longer needed to test and trace folks? They gonna run around stopping folks so they can take their temps? You'd probably feel safer then I guess.

All that stuff don't just happen with someone snapping their fingers. Just like the Defense Production Act don't just happen overnight after Trump snaps his fingers. Mobilization or/and reallocation by the government of large groups or people/resources is extremely bureaucratic and takes time/planning. Maybe most of that is already in place, but I kinda doubt it myself.
    Maybe these people would be available

https://www.startribune.com/10-000-m...ays/569143992/

And Trump never really activated the DPA. He was Michael Scott "Declaring Bankruptcy". He just said it. He did not actually do it. That's why it didn't work.
    Last edited by SheltonChoked; 05-14-2020 at 04:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Finally some common sense prevails
    Common sense is still in Mississippi and most SE states. It was coming but this is a process and things had to take their course.