Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackson Fristoe - Major Baseball Signee, MLB Top-200

vCash

Jackson Fristoe - Major Baseball Signee, MLB Top-200

From what I read here, he will be a draft eligible Sophomore and he is still a growing lad. He should be a bulldog, tune his craft, and then rise in the draft...

"Fristoe's stuff and performance varied on the showcase circuit last summer, as he mixed good and rough outings at the PDP League, struggled to throw strikes at East Coast Pro and rebounded with his best effort at the Area Code Games. Scouts were looking forward to seeing what progress he might make this spring, but the Kentucky high school season got cancelled before he even took the mound. That may make it difficult to take him early enough to divert him from Mississippi State, where he'd be Draft-eligible as a 21-year-old sophomore in 2022.

Fristoe's fastball ranged from 88-90 mph to 91-94 at different times last summer, featuring some armside run. He has a very projectable 6-foot-4 build and could sit in the mid-90s once he matures physically. He lacks consistency with his secondary offerings but shows the promise of a four-pitch arsenal with flashes of a low-80s slider, a curveball with more depth than power and the makings of a changeup.

Because he's still growing into his tall frame, Fristoe doesn't always keep his long limbs in sync in his delivery on a consistent basis. His control and command are still works in progress but should get better as he improves his strength and mechanics. He could blossom into a top-two-rounds prospect after a couple of seasons in the Southeastern Conference."

Link:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/...fristoe-690977

vCash
    What MLB says about Blaze Jordan...basically he can win HR derbies, has awesome natural power, but they seem to think he is very young and still developing physically.

"DeSoto Central High (Southaven, Miss.) produced a supplemental first-round slugger in Austin Riley in 2015, and five years later has a player with even more raw power. Jordan ranked as one of the top players in the 2021 class until he reclassified last May, becoming one of the youngest (17 years, five months on the originally scheduled Draft day of June 10) and most intriguing prospects in the 2020 group. He won the High School Home Run Derby at the All-Star Game in July, though he had less success facing live pitching on the showcase circuit.

Few players in the 2020 Draft can do more damage to a baseball than Jordan, whose legend began to grow when he won his first national home run derby at age 11 and belted a pair of 500-foot homers at another when he was 13. His combination of impressive strength and bat speed allows him to hit mammoth blasts without a lot of loft in his right-handed stroke, and he recorded the highest exit velocity (106.9 mph) at the World Wood Bat Association World Championship in October. He still has to answer questions about his hitting ability after a summer of swings and misses against older competition, though his proponents think he'll make enough contact once he gets more time to adjust.

While Jordan has worked diligently to lose weight and improve defensively at third base, most scouts believe he's almost certainly destined to play first base as a pro. The Mississippi State recruit possesses average arm strength but he's a below-average runner whose lack of quickness is better suited for first base. Wherever he plays, he'll create most of his value with his power."

vCash
    It would be awesome to see Blaze at MSU for 3 years. Then he could go pro as a 20 year old. It's just a matter of a team meeting his number whether he goes pro or not.

Fristoe, Cade Smith, and Mikey Tepper are all big talents on the mound.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    It would be awesome to see Blaze at MSU for 3 years. Then he could go pro as a 20 year old. It's just a matter of a team meeting his number whether he goes pro or not.
    I think we have a good shot of keeping him.

vCash
    Fristoe can be a future 1st rounder. Huge arm
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think we have a good shot of keeping him.
    Agree. The 5 round draft really helps because it gives teams less rounds in which to save money to meet his asking price.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Agree. The 5 round draft really helps because it gives teams less rounds in which to save money to meet his asking price.
    I think it would benefit him to come to school and work on his game a little bit. The power is obviously there. But if he can improve his hitting a little bit while becoming a really good first baseman he has a decent chance at being a very high draft pick.

vCash
    I think it would benefit him to come to school and work on his game a little bit. The power is obviously there. But if he can improve his hitting a little bit while becoming a really good first baseman he has a decent chance at being a very high draft pick.
    His HS profile as a player would be best compared to Pete Alonso, Andrew Vaughn, and Spencer Torkelson.

The reality is HS 1B are just bad bets out of HS for Major League teams because the bat has to be elite whereas middle of the field players have more flexibility and more positions from which to fall back to.

MLB will play big money for those guys out of college though. Unless Blaze gets absolute first round money, he needs to come to MSU and turn into a top 10 overall pick.

vCash
    His HS profile as a player would be best compared to Pete Alonso, Andrew Vaughn, and Spencer Torkelson.

The reality is HS 1B are just bad bets out of HS for Major League teams because the bat has to be elite whereas middle of the field players have more flexibility and more positions from which to fall back to.

MLB will play big money for those guys out of college though. Unless Blaze gets absolute first round money, he needs to come to MSU and turn into a top 10 overall pick.
    How does Blaze compare to Austin Riley as HS kids?

Somehow, I expect the Braves to ruin the party by drafting him high enough to pull him away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post

Somehow, I expect the Braves to ruin the party by drafting him high enough to pull him away.
    Different types of hitters. Blaze is a little more bat speed, wrist, and front foot oriented which gives MLB some concern with his ability to handle secondary stuff whereas Riley was a little stronger and hit more off his backside, which allows him to handle sliders a little easier and create launch angle. Similar offensive projection though.

Riley had a slight upper hand in that he could play 3B and the corner OF positions, which lessened the risk on him since there was position versatility. Blaze may be able to play 3B or LF, but it's highly likely he'll end up as a 1B.

Blaze is more famous though due to his HR exploits at a young age.

Both guys project as future .265-.275 with 30-40 HRs in MLB though.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-13-2020 at 07:02 PM.

vCash
    Jordan’s write up doesn’t seem to bode well for being a 1st round pick. They basically say that the only thing proven with him is power. And from shotgun’s description, maybe they want to see him change his approach at the plate some in order to improve as a “hitter”.

Sounds like he comes to college and DH’s his first year and takes over at 1B after Hatcher leaves.

Hopefully Clark can play a good 3B and both rake like people think they can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Jordan’s write up doesn’t seem to bode well for being a 1st round pick. They basically say that the only thing proven with him is power. And from shotgun’s description, maybe they want to see him change his approach at the plate some in order to improve as a “hitter”.

Sounds like he comes to college and DH’s his first year and takes over at 1B after Hatcher leaves.

Hopefully Clark can play a good 3B and both rake like people think they can.
    - Blaze profiles as an MLB 1B power wise. He'll be absolutely fine if he reaches his ceiling. We have to remember that Blaze is a year younger than Riley was & thus not quite as refined. I believe he'll be fine, but he probably needs to go to school to prove it. We also have to remember that Blaze is likely asking for 1st round money while Riley signed for $1.6 mil. My guess is that there are few teams that would offer Blaze $1.6 but I think his number is significantly higher than that & it should be because he's a top of the 1st round player with some college production.

- Kellum Clark is a super interesting to me because I believe he naturally tracks the ball better than Blaze. Meaning Blaze gets out on his front foot & is aggressive wheres I believe Clark shows a little better zone control & feel.

Either way, both will be awesome & give us a legit Thunder & Lightening type thingy in the middle of the lineup for 3 years. Blaze has more power & should hit more HRs along with hitting in the .290. - .310 range with 15+ HRs for us while Clark will likely hit in the .330s+ with 10-15 HRs for us, maybe more but not as many as Blaze.

As for Major League comparison: Blaze is Mark Trumbo & Kellum is Mark Teahen or Travis Shaw. Both have a chance to be impactful Major Leaguers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post

Blaze is 2 years younger coming out of hs than Austin. That makes a difference in approach, seeing pitches etc. his raw power is above Riley at the same point.

vCash
    Question for those that know- and maybe this hasn't been decided yet.

But the guys that were freshmen this year for us like Logan Tanner, Landon Sims, Will Bednar, and etc. are going to be considered freshmen next year with this group that we are bringing in correct?

vCash

But the guys that were freshmen this year for us like Logan Tanner, Landon Sims, Will Bednar, and etc. are going to be considered freshmen next year with this group that we are bringing in correct?
    Correct

vCash

Yep

vCash
    I understand there are meetings today for Msu signees with their advisors today. Draft will be done in two days for the 5 rounds, June 10 and 11.

I'm hearing a few different things about some projections and whether they go or not. But hey, it's all a "crap shot" on two things, money and go pro and who makes it to the show.

Btw, I'm hoping we retain all signees and all players on the rooster, probably ain't gonna happen.

Lots of nervous anxious players and parents, I'm sure some will disappointed while others will be ecstatic! I wish the best for all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I understand there are meetings today for Msu signees with their advisors today. Draft will be done in two days for the 5 rounds, June 10 and 11.

I'm hearing a few different things about some projections and whether they go or not. But hey, it's all a "crap shot" on two things, money and go pro and who makes it to the show.

Btw, I'm hoping we retain all signees and all players on the rooster, probably ain't gonna happen.

Lots of nervous anxious players and parents, I'm sure some will disappointed while others will be ecstatic! I wish the best for all!
    Players and their agents speak multiple times a week.

vCash
    Different types of hitters. Blaze is a little more bat speed, wrist, and front foot oriented which gives MLB some concern with his ability to handle secondary stuff whereas Riley was a little stronger and hit more off his backside, which allows him to handle sliders a little easier and create launch angle. Similar offensive projection though.

Riley had a slight upper hand in that he could play 3B and the corner OF positions, which lessened the risk on him since there was position versatility. Blaze may be able to play 3B or LF, but it's highly likely he'll end up as a 1B.

Blaze is more famous though due to his HR exploits at a young age.

Both guys project as future .265-.275 with 30-40 HRs in MLB though.
    Austin also could have made it in the pros as a pitcher. In fact, most teams scouted him as a pitcher because there was concern about his hit tool. The Braves felt he had the best power bat in that particular draft though out of all the prospects, so they took him as a hitter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Austin also could have made it in the pros as a pitcher. In fact, most teams scouted him as a pitcher because there was concern about his hit tool. The Braves felt he had the best power bat in that particular draft though out of all the prospects, so they took him as a hitter.
    Austin was weird as a pitcher. He certainly had some talent there but teams struggled to figure him out on the mound. He always seemed like he should throw harder than he actually did.

You certainly could be correct, but no one really knows. Good for him, he became elite in another area of the game.