Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watching these old games for the 80's I am amazed how small those guy are.

vCash
    Remember when Refrigerator Perry came on the scene for the Bears he was an oddity at being over 300lbs. Now you have high school kids bigger than him as sophomores.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    When the gym was open I talked to his brother almost everyday. It is obvious he misses him.
    I was lucky enough to call Stan a friend.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    I think OL Sam Nichols back in the early 70's was the first linemen to break the 250 barrier and everybody thought he was a giant. Even as recent as the 1998 team the guys were "small" with our D-line averaged only 270 or so. Times have changed, will there be 400 pounders playing the game in 2050 (assuming a virus hasn't shut down the sports world)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TaleofTwoDogs View Post
    I think OL Sam Nichols back in the early 70's was the first linemen to break the 250 barrier and everybody thought he was a giant. Even as recent as the 1998 team the guys were "small" with our D-line averaged only 270 or so. Times have changed, will there be 400 pounders playing the game in 2050 (assuming a virus hasn't shut down the sports world)?
    I think Ricky Williams just scored another touchdown.

vCash
    I played HS ball at a tiny school in Mississippi 40 years ago. It was something to have a 200 pounder on the line back then. Now the same tiny school will almost always have one or two 300 pounders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Remember when Refrigerator Perry came on the scene for the Bears he was an oddity at being over 300lbs. Now you have high school kids bigger than him as sophomores.
    He had to have been closer to 400 than 300 even then.

vCash
    Sam Nichols a name from long ago. I would go to Biloxi high games as a kid with family and they had seats next to Sam's father, reserved seats back then for a HS football game. He was a man among boys in HS in the early 70's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redstickdawg View Post
    Sam Nichols a name from long ago. I would go to Biloxi high games as a kid with family and they had seats next to Sam's father, reserved seats back then for a HS football game. He was a man among boys in HS in the early 70's.
    Yea, I went to Biloxi High during the time Sam played, he was best friends with Jim Touchet who played for Biloxi Notre Dame and was an OL for State. Unfortunately, after graduating from State, Jim was killed during a Navy air fighter training flight. Jim was a great guy and Bulldog.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I think Ricky Williams just scored another touchdown.
    Dammit, don't remind me of that freezing, raining day I sat in the Cotton Bowl and watch him run wild on our D.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    remember it was mid-80s before a OLineman could use his hands . That to me was 1 main reason for bigger linemen. Back then you actually had to block some body-not hold them.
    I was playing high school football the year they allowed O-Linemen to use their hands(either 86 or 87 can't remember the exact year). Anyway, I played the wing in our Wing-I set, and I would have to block DE's and LB's from time to time, so I'd sometimes do blocking drills with the OL. I remember being taught to throw a flipper first. We'd do these on the seven man sled. I remember that first practice when our coach was explaining we could now use our hands. We were all excited. Also, back in the 80's a 170 pound white boy defensive back(me) could legitimately dream of playing in the SEC. Now, that is nothing put a pipe dream.

vCash
    Yea, I went to Biloxi High during the time Sam played, he was best friends with Jim Touchet who played for Biloxi Notre Dame and was an OL for State. Unfortunately, after graduating from State, Jim was killed during a Navy air fighter training flight. Jim was a great guy and Bulldog.
    Jim was a Marine. I remember when he was killed we were in spring training at Notre Dame and Touchets cousin was trying to figure out how to tell Coach Hegwood that he had been killed. Dam near gave him a heart attack when he was told.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I played HS ball at a tiny school in Mississippi 40 years ago. It was something to have a 200 pounder on the line back then. Now the same tiny school will almost always have one or two 300 pounders.
    The Center at my high school our Senior year (1990) was 145 lbs. He spent one night knocking a 325 Lb 5 star DLs dick in the dirt. It was glorious.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    back when the forearm shiver was force to deal with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Jim was a Marine. I remember when he was killed we were in spring training at Notre Dame and Touchets cousin was trying to figure out how to tell Coach Hegwood that he had been killed. Dam near gave him a heart attack when he was told.
    C.R. Hegwood my HS coach, retired right before spring training when I was a junior. We (NDHS) were playing against schools that today would be classified as 5&6 A with a 1A enrollment.

vCash
    [QUOTE=redstickdawg;1250145]C.R. Hegwood my HS coach, retired right before spring training when I was a junior. We (NDHS) were playing against schools that today would be classified as 5&6 A with a 1A enrollment.[/QUOTEHegwood retired my soph year. Oh yeah we, Notre Dame, played the big schools back then, beat some of them too.I loved Bayles. That was a hard ass SOB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    You're right, Jim was a Marine not Navy, my memory isn't as good as it use to be. Seems like a life time ago. RIP Jim.