Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching these old games for the 80's I am amazed how small those guy are.

vCash

Watching these old games for the 80's I am amazed how small those guy are.

You have 250 pounds centers and 250 pounds guards. I graduated in 1984 and was 220 pounds. I wasn't an offensive lineman.

vCash
    And lineman certainly weren't 6'5" or 6'6" (or more) like so many are now.

vCash
    If my memory is correct, Herschel was bigger than a couple of his offensive lineman.

vCash
    Stan Black in the early '70's wasn't very big, but he'd check your oil for you.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Stan Black in the early '70's wasn't very big, but he'd check your oil for you.
    When the gym was open I talked to his brother almost everyday. It is obvious he misses him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    You have 250 pounds centers and 250 pounds guards. I graduated in 1984 and was 220 pounds. I wasn't an offensive lineman.
    Yeah, players were smaller in some areas but in others they were still some big dudes. Johnnie Cooks, Billy Jackson, Tyrone Keys, Glen Collins could have played in an era as could many others Mardy McDole, etc.

The 90s though brought some meat with JWS teams. He had some athletes big time.

vCash
    Stan was my cousin, our mother's were sisters. I didn't know him that well but it's still nice to see others still remembering him.

Thanks

vCash
    Kent Hull in his first game was right at 200 lbs...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Stan was my cousin, our mother's were sisters. I didn't know him that well but it's still nice to see others still remembering him.

Thanks
    The Mugshots in Pearl has his photo framed with a jersey with his number hanging on the wall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    The Mugshots in Pearl has his photo framed with a jersey with his number hanging on the wall.
    Sweet, Thanks. If I am down that way, I may just check that out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Kent Hull in his first game was right at 200 lbs...
    Beat me to it. Kent Hull played as a freshman at 200 lbs, and the guy was a beast even then. Of course he did grow into a nice sized young man! Amazing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Yeah, players were smaller in some areas but in others they were still some big dudes. Johnnie Cooks, Billy Jackson, Tyrone Keys, Glen Collins could have played in an era as could many others Mardy McDole, etc.

The 90s though brought some meat with JWS teams. He had some athletes big time.
    Billy Jackson was 190.

vCash
    remember it was mid-80s before a OLineman could use his hands . That to me was 1 main reason for bigger linemen. Back then you actually had to block some body-not hold them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    remember it was mid-80s before a OLineman could use his hands . That to me was 1 main reason for bigger linemen. Back then you actually had to block some body-not hold them.
    Watching the florida vs GA game the lineman always chopped blocked. They also all had J Pads on hands and arms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Billy Jackson was 190.
    OK, I never said how much any of them weighed just that they could play in any era regardless of size. I think Johnnie Cooks was a pretty good size for LB though.

vCash
    I saw guys from the 91-92 team often back in the day. Anyway, a few were tall but not many. But all linemen but thick.

Btw, I saw Phil Fulmer in Stuttgart. He is about 6ft but about 6ft Wide and has hands like catchers mits. Not tall but a Big dude.

vCash
    I think the strength and conditioning has progressed to the point where they can almost make super-athletes out of giant people. Not all necessarily. But with training you can definitely become bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic. Then it's about having the God given measurables. I think football at some positions is become more and more about length at some positions like wide receiver and also about being big enough to take punishment while at the same time being athletic to perform at an elite level.

vCash
    Knew Matt Edwards who played guard in 79/80 and would be a LB size today.

vCash
    All those linemen had to be able to run also. That is one reason they were not huge. They had to be able to pull and run down the field in Bullard's offense.

vCash
    Fred Collins was bigger than Bill Bell. Fred and Bill are still the same size today.