Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Florida Fans Getting Restless...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Saban survived Cam just fine.

That is my point though, if he had kept Cam, he probably stays because he figured he could compete. That is the point, the guy is a front runner - and he saw the writing on the wall with no Cam and a pretty bare roster in 2011 that went 3-5 in the SEC and barely beat vandy.
    He's won 3 natties (2 different schools) and went undefeated at Utah. Urban Meyer is one of the greatest of all time, and you don't get ghat status being a punk. You're letting personal feelings cloud judgement. He's 187-32 (.854) all time
    Last edited by msstate7; 05-12-2020 at 02:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    He's won 3 natties (2 different schools) and went undefeated at Utah. Urban Meyer is one of the greatest of all time, and you don't get ghat status being a punk. You're letting personal feelings cloud judgement. He's 187-32 (.854) all time
    He is a great coach without question. An all timer. That isn't the debate. The debate was that Florida fans were giving him heat - that simply wasn't true. He left on his own accord on a made up reason of wanting to spend more time with his family and his health.

The reason he is successful is his extreme desire to win. He is also extremely accurate in assessing his team's own talent.

He was smart enough to see the writing on the wall. He got the hell out of Florida and moved to a much easier situation to win games and have a chance at winning a national title. It was the smart move. Without question it was the smart move - that is what smart coaches do.

Hell Saban realized he wasn't going to win at the Dolphins because he couldn't outscheme other NFL coaches. His brilliance is recruiting. He is the best recruiter in history. Once he realized he couldn't out recruit other NFL teams - he got the **** out of dodge. Meyer realized the same thing at Florida - that is what great coaches do, they are brutally honest about their talent level and act accordingly. Meyer and Saban are two of the all time greats because of this trait.

vCash
    You think Meyer left Florida for health reasons? That was the original post I was responding to. There was zero pressure at Florida for him to leave. He left because he knew that he had gotten his ass kicked on the recruiting trail and the next few years at Florida were going to be rough and he simply isn't built for that.

They went 3-5 in the SEC in 2011. No coincidence that Saban and Bama were rolling through the next season at Florida. They proceeded to destroy Florida.

I think Meyer was an absolute coward and knew that his run at Florida was over and instead of getting worked the next few years - he decided to retire due to his health and to spend more time with his family. He proceeded to work at ESPN and less than 12 months after his last game at Florida - he took the Ohio State job.

A job that proved much easier.
    Urban's post-game press conference when we beat them in the Swamp in '10 is when I knew he was done. There is a pause about 15 seconds in where it's quiet and you can hear our fans chanting "Maroon, White", and Urban just hangs his head, gulps, and then starts again. He knew the SEC had him figured out.

"After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Urban's post-game press conference when we beat them in the Swamp in '10 is when I knew he was done. There is a pause about 15 seconds in where it's quiet and you can hear our fans chanting "Maroon, White", and Urban just hangs his head, gulps, and then starts again. He knew the SEC had him figured out.

Figured him out? He ran thru Bama in 2014 for his 3rd natty with saban having a month to go over the blueprint to Meyer we established (lmao)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Ideally, Dan would be an NFL coach. But, he'd have to get away from his system & Im not sure he could pull a good staff together. He's making bank and I bet he gets out of coaching early.
    I agree. Dan has too many hobbies (and too much loyalty to certain country club offensive coaches) that get in his way of being an elite coach, which Florida expects. Eventually, Mullen and Florida will get tired of each other and he will move on. I could see him making a run at the NFL, but he knows what kind of liability those coaches would be in the league.

Regardless, he already has more money than he and Megan could spend in a lifetime, so he may just retire.

vCash
    Figured him out? He ran thru Bama in 2014 for his 3rd natty with saban having a month to go over the blueprint to Meyer we established (lmao)
    Yes - I think at the time the SEC had him figured out. They had chipped away at his recruiting. They had chipped away at his staff, and he was not adapting to having the target on his back week in and week out that you have in the SEC.
    That being said, Meyer adapted - and that is what can make a coach elite. He took a year off, and started running an SEC program in a conference that isn't as competitive week in and week out.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    You are missing the point. No one is questioning that he is a great gameday coach.

By leaving for Ohio State he was able to not have to recruit against the greatest recruiter of my lifetime except for a very small number of players. He was able to play maybe 1 or 2 tough games the entire season and gear up for a playoff run.

He was 54-4 in the big 10. Imagine only having to play at most 2 tough games before the playoffs at a power house program like Ohio State.

He knew Florida didn't have the talent in the pipeline to have the success he was used to. They went 3-5 in 2011 and 3-5 in 2013 in the SEC. He might have faked a stroke as opposed to a heart attack if that had happened.

vCash
    He is a great coach without question. An all timer. That isn't the debate. The debate was that Florida fans were giving him heat - that simply wasn't true. He left on his own accord on a made up reason of wanting to spend more time with his family and his health.

The reason he is successful is his extreme desire to win. He is also extremely accurate in assessing his team's own talent.

He was smart enough to see the writing on the wall. He got the hell out of Florida and moved to a much easier situation to win games and have a chance at winning a national title. It was the smart move. Without question it was the smart move - that is what smart coaches do.

Hell Saban realized he wasn't going to win at the Dolphins because he couldn't outscheme other NFL coaches. His brilliance is recruiting. He is the best recruiter in history. Once he realized he couldn't out recruit other NFL teams - he got the **** out of dodge. Meyer realized the same thing at Florida - that is what great coaches do, they are brutally honest about their talent level and act accordingly. Meyer and Saban are two of the all time greats because of this trait.
    Are you saying Meyer can't recruit? I mean he may not recruit like Saban does at Bama but ... I think he recruits pretty well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    yep ... and their cigars are bigger than ours

Not sure how Mullen would get along with red McCombs (Donated over $100million to UT)....https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ie-strong-hire

vCash
    You think Meyer left Florida for health reasons? That was the original post I was responding to. There was zero pressure at Florida for him to leave. He left because he knew that he had gotten his ass kicked on the recruiting trail and the next few years at Florida were going to be rough and he simply isn't built for that.

They went 3-5 in the SEC in 2011. No coincidence that Saban and Bama were rolling through the next season at Florida. They proceeded to destroy Florida.

I think Meyer was an absolute coward and knew that his run at Florida was over and instead of getting worked the next few years - he decided to retire due to his health and to spend more time with his family. He proceeded to work at ESPN and less than 12 months after his last game at Florida - he took the Ohio State job.

A job that proved much easier.
    I think he left Bc he was burned out at the time. He'd won 2 titles. He needed a breath and waited for the next big job. If you think he left Bc he was scared you don't understand egos of big time coaches. And urban is big time. Argue if you must.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I think he left Bc he was burned out at the time. He'd won 2 titles. He needed a breath and waited for the next big job. If you think he left Bc he was scared you don't understand egos of big time coaches. And urban is big time. Argue if you must.
    I agree. I think Meyer invests a lot into his team and program and he basically burned himself out.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ends up at South Carolina next year based on their hiring history if Meyer wants to do it.

vCash

Hijack- Beating Florida in Gainesville in 2010 was a very underrated win for MSU and one of Dan's biggest wins at MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree. I think Meyer invests a lot into his team and program and he basically burned himself out.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ends up at South Carolina next year based on their hiring history if Meyer wants to do it.
    I would imagine he waiting on Southern Cal to open up. Go out west and dominate the PAC-12. CFP bound every year.

vCash
    You are missing the point. No one is questioning that he is a great gameday coach.

By leaving for Ohio State he was able to not have to recruit against the greatest recruiter of my lifetime except for a very small number of players. He was able to play maybe 1 or 2 tough games the entire season and gear up for a playoff run.

He was 54-4 in the big 10. Imagine only having to play at most 2 tough games before the playoffs at a power house program like Ohio State.

He knew Florida didn't have the talent in the pipeline to have the success he was used to. They went 3-5 in 2011 and 3-5 in 2013 in the SEC. He might have faked a stroke as opposed to a heart attack if that had happened.
    he didn't leave for Ohio State ... he just left
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Hijack- Beating Florida in Gainesville in 2010 was a very underrated win for MSU and one of Dan's biggest wins at MSU.
    It really is under rated. That was the most fun I've ever had at an away game too. UF fans were absolutely shell shocked at the end of the game. And our fans after the game were ridiculously loud (as evidenced by the video). I was sitting on the 50 yard line about 3 rows up behind the UF bench (my cousin is a UF alum/season ticket holder), and the band cranked up into the Hey song and it was like the place just exploded. That "Maroon/White" chant was echoing thru an empty Swamp.

That 2010 team was tough, talented, and overcame some real adversity with the loss of Nick Bell. They will always be one of my favorite MSU teams.
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    It really is under rated. That was the most fun I've ever had at an away game too. UF fans were absolutely shell shocked at the end of the game. And our fans after the game were ridiculously loud (as evidenced by the video). I was sitting on the 50 yard line about 3 rows up behind the UF bench (my cousin is a UF alum/season ticket holder), and the band cranked up into the Hey song and it was like the place just exploded. That "Maroon/White" chant was echoing thru an empty Swamp.

That 2010 team was tough, talented, and overcame some real adversity with the loss of Nick Bell. They will always be one of my favorite MSU teams.
    Mine too they were as tough nosed as it gets. I loved the offense that year. Both sides of the ball just pounded on people. That Arky game was one of the most emotional games I've ever witnessed at Davis Wade. That was a fun season and was capped off with an awesome bowl trip. Looking back we really did have some awesome years under Mullen with a lot of big games. I know a lot of state fans are still salty over how he left etc. But he did a lot for our university and the city of Starkville.

Starkville would look a lot different had we followed up the croom hire with another bust.