Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Florida Fans Getting Restless...

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    In his first two years, he has won 21 total games, won two NY6 games, and finished in the top 7 twice....and keep in mind that Florida won 4 games the year before his arrival.

His last two signing classes have been top 10 and his current class is ranked 6th (and has a higher average rating than UT's). And I expect his recruiting to improve as the HS coaches in the area get to know him and get used to his personality....that's what seemed to happen here.

All that to say, I think some of you that are waiting for Mullen to fail at Florida are going to wind up being sorely disappointed. The guy is a damn good football coach, and I expect him to win big down there before it is all said and done.
    I can't speak for anyone else but I can't care less on how mullen does. Yes he had 2 Top 10 classes but the 2018 class had 4 4* who didn't enroll or left before their 1st spring was over. The 2019 class has already seen their top OL signee already leave & transfer to Miami. So those Top 10 classes have already taken hits. 5 4* players who never suited up for Florida.

I think we all expect Mullen to do well. He's a very good coach but to get over the UGA & then Bama/LSU hump he needs to be great because those programs are recruiting at elite levels. Mullen is recruiting at a very good level. Again if he loses to UGA this year the fans will become restless. This is supposed to be their year. They have a Sr QB & UGA has a transfer QB from Wake Forest. If they don't beat UGA & don't make it to Atlanta combined with their underachieving recruiting (Florida fans words not mine) then yes no matter if he wins 10-11 games they're not going to be happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    This is a big year for Mullen. If he goes 0/3 against Kirby that won't be a good look. He will begin to get the Mark Richt tag & that's not a positive for Mullen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    When teaching is so much a part of your program, this virus issue is going to hurt more.
    When your competition for the SEC (UGA & Bama) are recruiting in the Top 3 it's noticeable. Also if TN start consistently recruiting Top 5-7 it looks even worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    It's not necessarily about Mullen failing as much as it is that the batshit crazy UF fans have insane expectations. If they are not winning titles, the become disgruntled fast. Urban had two nattys and they were ready to run him out after 2011; Muschamp won the East and they hated him; Mac won the East twice and they hated him more. All it would take is a loss at Tennessee to start unraveling things. It's also just a matter of time before a group of UF players do something stupid and get suspended.
    All of these are true.

There are some parallels between Dan's time here and at Florida- the first two years here he was "True Maroon"- after that it was look for the best shiny toy possible. We'll see what happens in year three for him.

The thing about Florida fans is they should expect to compete for National Titles. Nice 8-10 win seasons aren't good enough there and they shouldn't be. They've won National Titles recently.

vCash
    They are complaingin about running back? That's the one area where dan never did have much trouble with developing outside of maybe one or two years at MSU. And we still had great rushing numbers. The running game would be the least of my worries with his track record or running qbs and running backs at MSU. I think once the younger classmen get older he will start rolling once his development system is in full swing. He isn't looking to get out every couple of years like he was here. He is the best in the business at developing what he has. And his talent level there is already higher there by default. He has had two ten when seasons in his first two years. And he is taking what he was left and won with it. Once he gets his system going he will be fine. Kirby is showing he can recruit but he is having problems finishing those seasons off and it's been some coaching issues. Dan will probably get an east championship before he is done at Florida. Will he win it all? Maybe but doubtful since the west is always usually contending for that with a few teams. Will it be enough for forida? If he doesn't make an SEC title game by year five he's in trouble. Doesn't win a natty in 7 he will he shipped out. I still think he makes sec title game pretty soon.

vCash
    I can't speak for anyone else but I can't care less on how mullen does. Yes he had 2 Top 10 classes but the 2018 class had 4 4* who didn't enroll or left before their 1st spring was over. The 2019 class has already seen their top OL signee already leave & transfer to Miami. So those Top 10 classes have already taken hits. 5 4* players who never suited up for Florida.

I think we all expect Mullen to do well. He's a very good coach but to get over the UGA & then Bama/LSU hump he needs to be great because those programs are recruiting at elite levels. Mullen is recruiting at a very good level. Again if he loses to UGA this year the fans will become restless. This is supposed to be their year. They have a Sr QB & UGA has a transfer QB from Wake Forest. If they don't beat UGA & don't make it to Atlanta combined with their underachieving recruiting (Florida fans words not mine) then yes no matter if he wins 10-11 games they're not going to be happy.
    Well to be fair, that transfer from wake is a better QB than trask. That said, this is Mullen's best shot so far imo
    Last edited by msstate7; 05-12-2020 at 07:32 AM.

vCash

Agree mostly with this. Mullen is a top tier coach from a coaching/development standpoint. I figure tho he'll be back and forth with Ogre cause he's a better coach and Ogre needs to keep top tier coordinators in house. Mullen is also confident when he faces Ogre.

Kirby/Saban know how to defend Mullen and also Mullen still has mental block against those two. Main thing there is Mullen has to get past that mental block. Not saying he'll ever get on roll against them, but figure eventually he'll get Kirby and then maybe Saban too. Saban's coordinator turnover is having an impact some too. Right now tho, Mullen not confident when facing those two ... he tightens up too much when playing them.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 05-12-2020 at 06:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    They are complaingin about running back? That's the one area where dan never did have much trouble with developing outside of maybe one or two years at MSU. And we still had great rushing numbers. The running game would be the least of my worries with his track record or running qbs and running backs at MSU. I think once the younger classmen get older he will start rolling once his development system is in full swing. He isn't looking to get out every couple of years like he was here. He is the best in the business at developing what he has. And his talent level there is already higher there by default. He has had two ten when seasons in his first two years. And he is taking what he was left and won with it. Once he gets his system going he will be fine. Kirby is showing he can recruit but he is having problems finishing those seasons off and it's been some coaching issues. Dan will probably get an east championship before he is done at Florida. Will he win it all? Maybe but doubtful since the west is always usually contending for that with a few teams. Will it be enough for forida? If he doesn't make an SEC title game by year five he's in trouble. Doesn't win a natty in 7 he will he shipped out. I still think he makes sec title game pretty soon.
    Thing is - UF has not been that good at RB over the past 15 years. They have had only 2 1,000 yard RBs since Urban landed in Gainesville. Some of that is scheme related, but most of that is that they haven't been attracting backs that can pound the ball.
    UF fans look at the success MSU had with the running game under Dan and think just having Dan there meant that they would automatically run better and it hasn't worked that way.

Mullen arguably did his best coaching job ever last season - losing Franks made him completely change the way they were approaching last season. Say what you will about Franks (I know a lot think he sucks), but the guy had completed 76% of his passes thru 3 games, and was a much better runner than Trask. Mullen had to adapt on the fly and was slinging it 35 times a game. It was not a typical Dan Mullen offense last year and they still won 11 games.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well to be fair, that transfer from wake is a better AB than trade. That said, this is Mullen's best shot so far imo
    I don't disagree but that's not how Florida fans are going to see it.

vCash
    Newman became a really good QB mostly because of Clawsons development. Call me crazy but I think Clawson is a better developer than Smart. That could turn into a bad situation if Smart tries to run a different system. What Clawson has done at Wake Forest with recruiting classes at practically Sun Belt level is amazing. I wouldn?t want to see Clawson in the SEC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Say what you will about Franks (I know a lot think he sucks), but the guy had completed 76% of his passes thru 3 games, and was a much better runner than Trask. Mullen had to adapt on the fly and was slinging it 35 times a game. It was not a typical Dan Mullen offense last year and they still won 11 games.
    Franks sucks. He's never had a 300 yard passing game. people keep throwing out the 76% completion % but that's meaningless without context. When you watch him with your eyes, he stinks
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Call me crazy but I think Clawson is a better developer than Smart.
    Why is this crazy?

It's a completely accurate & obvious statement. Smart will take the air out of the balloon with any QB he has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Franks sucks. He's never had a 300 yard passing game. people keep throwing out the 76% completion % but that's meaningless without context. When you watch him with your eyes, he stinks
    You get mad bc he threw out a "meaningless (stat) without context", but preceded that with a meaningless stat in the 300-yard passing game deal.

vCash
    He always had a knack for adapting well outside of 2016 season. He didn't flip to the Relf coast offense fast enough after having dak 2015 season where we slung it around more. Seems like he is running more of that at Florida because that's the personnel he has. I think once Jones is a Senior their rushing numbers will be up in the top of the league.

vCash
    Ideally, Dan would be an NFL coach. But, he'd have to get away from his system & Im not sure he could pull a good staff together. He's making bank and I bet he gets out of coaching early.

vCash
    Its amazing to me how much fans put into recruiting versus on the field results. Let me be clear, I completely understand it and partially agree with it, but the guy is 21-5 in his first two years with two top 10 finishes and 11-5 in the SEC while only losing to UGA by 7 and then losing to LSU in Baton Rouge by 14 (it was a one score game in 4th quarter)

You would think they would be happy. It reminds me of AU fans the first year Saban beat Tubby. Even though Tubby was like 6-1 against Bama in the prior 7 years he was getting decimated on the recruiting front and the AU people wanted him gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You get mad bc he threw out a "meaningless (stat) without context", but preceded that with a meaningless stat in the 300-yard passing game deal.
    I'm just saying that stop cherry picking stats & watch the player. Franks stinks. Whatever stats he put up were basically because catered to whatever he did decently

vCash
    It's hilarious that you focus on that vs. what the actual point of the post was.
    Franks was playing very good football when he got hurt last year, and had separated himself from Trask and Emory Jones (who I believe you have clamored on about how awesome he is a number of times). I never made a claim that Franks was some awesome QB or Tim Tebow re-incarnated. He was doing what was required in a Mullen offense - hitting his passes, making the runs when needed, and winning. Him getting hurt could have easily derailed the season by going to a QB who hadn't started a game since his Freshman year in High School. Mullen did an excellent job of adapting on the fly and winning 11 games.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I'm just saying that stop cherry picking stats & watch the player. Franks stinks. Whatever stats he put up were basically because catered to whatever he did decently
    L-O-F'n-L - Haven't you spent the last 2 years on this board bitching about JoMo not tailoring things to what his players do best?? So Dan took another shit QB and made him productive.
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Whatever props up his current opinion is all that matters.

He knows front office folks*** :eyeroll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    Dan will probably get an east championship before he is done at Florida. Will he win it all? Maybe but doubtful since the west is always usually contending for that with a few teams. Will it be enough for forida? If he doesn't make an SEC title game by year five he's in trouble. Doesn't win a natty in 7 he will he shipped out. I still think he makes sec title game pretty soon.
    Mac got two East championships in his ONLY two full seasons and still got run out of town on a rail. I do think Mullen has a little more leeway because that is Stricklin's nature.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    Mac got two East championships in his ONLY two full seasons and still got run out of town on a rail. I do think Mullen has a little more leeway because that is Stricklin's nature.
    Every team in the East sucked worse than they do now when Mac was there. UGA was not near the threat they are now. Others have improved but that was a very low point for the SEC East.

We would've won the East multiple times if we were in that division during Mac's tenure.

It's not a fair comparison.