Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does Anyone Know Who or What is the Actual Reason MSU Won't Sell Beer at DWS?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Miss State is technically it's own city with own city ordinance. I just think the one guy who can make the decisions just doesn't want it or it may be he doesn't want to be the guy who does it. I don't see it hurting beer sales in Starkville or anything. So it's not starkville. It could be logistics. Aren't there certain rules as to where it can be sold in a stadium? It could be he is waiting on more data from the other SEC schools as to who is selling it. Who knows?

I have a feeling Cohen would be on board. It could bring in a lot of money and make those hot dogs even cheaper.
    Look, its simple. If normal ticket holders can't buy beer, there shouldn't be beer or alcohol allowed in the suites.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Pretty much. Gotta continue to garner those evangelical votes for when he runs for political office in the future....

Wouldn't it just be easier to offer disguises for all Baptists at the stadium gates? That way they won't be recognized by their fellow church goers as they drink their $17 Miller Lites?**
    Q: Do you know the difference 'tween a Jew and a Southern Baptist?

A: One doesn't recognize Jesus as the Son of God.... the others don't recognize each other in the Liquor Store.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Not for the general fan. Like it or not that is what the reasons are.
    If alcohol is fine at club level, but not for the general fan, then it's not about principle as stated in another post. Unless the principle is about selling and not consuming. Even in that scenario, one pays for the privilege to consume at club level. Or is that more like paying for the privilege to not get busted while sneaking it in?

vCash
    There is no sneaking it into Club Level. On Friday afternoon/night, you can walk in Club Level with whatever you want. If you are loaded down they will help you carry it. No bags, no being discrete, but that’s just one of the privileges you are paying for. I think they should open up beer sales just for the revenue. It's a college sporting event, there has always been alcohol at college games and there always will, might as well make a little money on it. I’d be will to say that a $12 beer will cut down on the amount of alcohol consumed in the stadium.
    Tusk, you know the difference between a Methodist and a Baptist? A Methodist will speak to you if you bump into them in the liquor store!

vCash
    Shotgun asked a question and I answered it. Can you not handle the truth?

Drinking alcohol is no sin but getting drunk or having excessive is. Also a sin to do so in front of other weaker believers as well as if you are being a poor witness of your faith.

I know standing on a principal and not just doing everything for the money is foreign to most people but there are people that live by what they believe.

I don't have a big problem with anyone having a drink while watching the game but I also don't want some out of control drunk next to me either. I go to the games for the atmosphere and to cheer my team.

Keenum acts on what he believes. Going against the majority as what all of you are saying is not being a wimp, that is standing in what you believe.

Why start thee stupid threads where you already know the answer but just want to grip about it again and again?
    So I guess you don't go to bowl games out of principal since alcohol is sold at most of those? I didn't notice any unruly behavior in Nashville, other than from myself due to being so pissed off and I didn't have any beer.

And I guess you don't go to DNF since people have coolers with beer in there. Gosh, what a den of debauchery that place is.***

Again, the places around the country that sell beer have studied this and there has not been an issue with increased disruptive behavior in the stadiums or alcohol related traffic accidents afterwards.

And one reason this keeps coming up is because no one has given a clear answer as to why we aren't doing it. The "truth" as provided by R2Dawg on Elitedawgs isn't good enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaChicagoDog View Post
    If alcohol is fine at club level, but not for the general fan, then it's not about principle as stated in another post. Unless the principle is about selling and not consuming. Even in that scenario, one pays for the privilege to consume at club level. Or is that more like paying for the privilege to not get busted while sneaking it in?

Bingo. Get that Keemun acting on principle crap out of here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    And one reason this keeps coming up is because no one has given a clear answer as to why we aren't doing it. The "truth" as provided by R2Dawg on Elitedawgs isn't good enough.
    Great point

It's probably because the reasoning is so petty, that they know they'll be crucified if they tell us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Look, its simple. If normal ticket holders can't buy beer, there shouldn't be beer or alcohol allowed in the suites.
    I agree with you! I do want to point out those are private suites that they pay a lot of money for. It is isolated from the rest of the stadium. I look at it like the lofts at the baseball field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Great point

It's probably because the reasoning is so petty, that they know they'll be crucified if they tell us
    Or maybe the answer is actually easier -
    Our game day management has been shit the past couple of years - last year in particular. Parking, traffic control, concessions, security have all been a nightmare. Maybe the administration has no confidence in our vendors and contractors that provide these services and want to fix our existing problems before we add another layer of problems to the picture? Could you imagine us effectively selling alcohol last year when Aramark couldn't even staff concession stands?
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    You are easy. I knew you would react that way when I answered your question. That is what you wanted. The correct answer and then you could say that was stupid.

First it is not about it not being an issue 98% of time but that couple of times may be a game changer for those affected. I have sat next to a drunk before with my young kids at the time and I would not be back if that happened too many times.

Why are so many obsessed with beer at a ballgame?
    All evidence I have seen, points toward allowing beer sales at the games actually causes less incidents with less pregame binge fests. Smart people change their minds when presented with new evidence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Our game day management has been shit the past couple of years - last year in particular. Parking, traffic control, concessions, security have all been a nightmare. Maybe the administration has no confidence in our vendors and contractors that provide these services and want to fix our existing problems before we add another layer of problems to the picture? Could you imagine us effectively selling alcohol last year when Aramark couldn't even staff concession stands?
    I know it isn't an exciting drama filed conspiracy but I think this ^^^^. Plus my post pointing out, beer sales isn't exactly a huge payday for the school..... is the reason we aren't selling beer yet.

vCash
    Well I've sat next to drunks at games that didn't sell alcohol. Wonder how that happened? I've been to games with alcohol flowing all over that wasn't being sold in the stadium and nobody had a problem. I've also been to many games where alcohol was being sold and no one had a problem. Sometimes drunks are just drunks and you will have to deal with it whether it's being sold in the stadium or not. that's just going to sporting events or anywhere for that matter. Not selling it in the stadium is like the kindergarten rules people try to apply over the whole group for a couple bad eggs. Not everyone who drinks at game gets crazy wasted and Is an ass to everyone around them.

I've drank at multiple games and never accosted anyone except maybe yelling at a ref or coach. Plenty of non drinkers do that too. I've also sat next to people slap drunk at games who didn't buy it in the game. I've also sat next to plenty of fans who bought a lot of drinks at a game and they were fine and nice. I've also sat close to people who were assholes who didn't have anything to drink at all.

This whole selling alcohol and drinking at the games ruins the family atmosphere is BS logic.

Hey those three beers I had in the super dome last season were pretty good albeit expensive. Was nice to be in the ac drink some beers and watch us struggle to beat ULL. Had a great time. Wife and I sat next to a family of 4 with two small kids. Family had a blast. They didn't seem to have a problem with me drinking a few beers at the game. Why? Because I am responsible and not an ass which would be the majority of the the people drinking at the game. Drunks are shown the exits most of the time and would be no different than it is now.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Shotgun asked a question and I answered it. Can you not handle the truth?

Drinking alcohol is no sin but getting drunk or having excessive is. Also a sin to do so in front of other weaker believers as well as if you are being a poor witness of your faith.

I know standing on a principal and not just doing everything for the money is foreign to most people but there are people that live by what they believe.

I don't have a big problem with anyone having a drink while watching the game but I also don't want some out of control drunk next to me either. I go to the games for the atmosphere and to cheer my team.

Keenum acts on what he believes. Going against the majority as what all of you are saying is not being a wimp, that is standing in what you believe.

Why start thee stupid threads where you already know the answer but just want to grip about it again and again?

So Keenum stands on his principles with the regular crowd but he has none with the people in the premium sections who he literally lets stock lockers and pour beers in front of security guards at every game? Dude GTFOH. Basically every insider at MSU says that we are going to start selling beer (probably next year). Once that happens what are you going to say about Keenum? Do his strong beliefs no longer matter to him? Is he then less of a Christian? Beer sales are coming to MSU. People want to know why it’s going to be in 2 years instead of now. If this garbage you are spewing was the real reason, Keenum would not fold and do it in another year, but he’s going to so that’s not the true reason.
    Last edited by Jarius; 05-12-2020 at 06:14 AM.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    If it takes 3 years to figure out how to sell beer in the stadium like every other sporting event in the world then we probably need someone else running the show. I mean how hard is it? At that point it’s not about alcohol it’s just about competency.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    If it takes 3 years to figure out how to sell beer in the stadium like every other sporting event in the world then we probably need someone else running the show. I mean how hard is it? At that point it’s not about alcohol it’s just about competency.
    That circus show inside DWS for the egg bowl.... was absolutely ridiculous. That game was the worst management and service at a sporting event that I have ever experienced. The 2nd poorest would be the USM game at DWS 2019. Someone better get that figured out now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I agree with you! I do want to point out those are private suites that they pay a lot of money for. It is isolated from the rest of the stadium. I look at it like the lofts at the baseball field.
    We finally agree on something. Took 8 years, but we have bridged the divide. First, they are only deemed private, so they can have alchohol. Deem every single season ticket holders seats as private then.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Only reason you want to know is so you can attack the person or the reason. Yep, Keenum makes the final decision. Keenum is a family man and holds strong Christian beliefs. He wants to keep the gameday inside the stadium more a family atmosphere. Now you can start your attack.

Yes, there are many that can drink and maintain their control but there are many that can't. Can you not go a few hours without drinking? Not that big a deal.
    Family atmosphere... hell we drink at our family get togethers. Disney allows people to drink at all of their resorts and it is all family oriented.

Sounds to me, this is a bit out of touch with the customers.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Late to this party but this is the way I understand it.
    1. Univiersities follow city/county ordinances.
    2. Starkville is wet for liquor and beer. Oktibbeha county is dry for beer and wet for liquor.
    3. Part of campus (frat row and sorority row) is actually in the city limits of Starkville while the rest is in the county.
    4. In order to sell (or legally posses) beer in the stadium, MSU must petition the state for Davis Wade to become a resort at which point it could set its own rules.
    5. Ole Miss did this years ago is the reason they can sell it. USM is fully within the city limits of Hattiesburg which is wet.
    6. I have no idea if they are working on this or not and if they are not, I have no idea who is stopping it.
    7. I do not know why they will confiscate a flask at the gate when they allow liquor to be stocked in lockers.
    8. No matter if you are partying in the Junction or mixing one up in club level or the LFL, just don't be an ass and cause them to crackdown on what we've got now.

I remember years ago during one of the crackdowns out in LFL the year after somebody poured a beer on an Ole Miss outfielder, I saw a guy stopped at the LF gate who was forced to pour out at least a case right there at the gate. Turns out, he was big guy with the university or the university system. A VERY big guy. About 2 games after that incident, the crackdown was suddenly and unexpectedly over and baseball water was freely flowing again. Funny how things work isn't it.