Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Know Who or What is the Actual Reason MSU Won't Sell Beer at DWS?

vCash

Does Anyone Know Who or What is the Actual Reason MSU Won't Sell Beer at DWS?

This isn't a thread about whether we should or should not sell beer at MSU sporting events as any idiot can realize that pro sports stadiums have sold beer for over 100 years and been just fine. Here is the history of baseball & beer if you need me to prove that: https://blog.perlick.com/100-years-o...ball-and-beer/

So what is actually holding this up?

It's been said that Cohen is on board but Keenum is not, but why wouldn't Keenum be on board?

Politics? Who is he supporting in politics that would prevent something so trivial?

Laws? Are there any actual unchangable laws that are preventing this?

Again, the issue has been resolved by history & common sense that WE SHOULD be selling beer at DWS. That's not the discussion here. I'm just looking for clarification, if anyone has any, as what the hold up is?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    I honestly don't care that much. Selling beer at Davis Wade would equate to no more outside coolers at Dudy Noble.

It would be nice to have a beer during a basketball game though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    I honestly don't care that much. Selling beer at Davis Wade would equate to no more outside coolers at Dudy Noble.

Yet again, the thread is not to debate should we or shouldn't we. History has already decided that.

vCash
    Miss State is technically it's own city with own city ordinance. I just think the one guy who can make the decisions just doesn't want it or it may be he doesn't want to be the guy who does it. I don't see it hurting beer sales in Starkville or anything. So it's not starkville. It could be logistics. Aren't there certain rules as to where it can be sold in a stadium? It could be he is waiting on more data from the other SEC schools as to who is selling it. Who knows?

I have a feeling Cohen would be on board. It could bring in a lot of money and make those hot dogs even cheaper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Miss State is technically it's own city with own city ordinance. I just think the one guy who can make the decisions just doesn't want it or it may be he doesn't want to be the guy who does it. I don't see it hurting beer sales in Starkville or anything. So it's not starkville. It could be logistics. Aren't there certain rules as to where it can be sold in a stadium? It could be he is waiting on more data from the other SEC schools as to who is selling it. Who knows?
    Yeah. IDK. I'd am curious as to the actual reason though

vCash
    They say it starts with the President
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post

Those 2 things aren’t mutually exclusive. Same logic is that coolers wouldn’t be allowed in the junction anymore. They can easily sell beer at concessions and let the junction and left field coolers be. It’s easy. I’d much rather buy beer from vendors in dws, the junction, the dude, etc... than lug around a cooler or smuggle liquor like I’ve been doing for almost 20 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This isn't a thread about whether we should or should not sell beer at MSU sporting events as any idiot can realize that pro sports stadiums have sold beer for over 100 years and been just fine. Here is the history of baseball & beer if you need me to prove that: https://blog.perlick.com/100-years-o...ball-and-beer/

So what is actually holding this up?

It's been said that Cohen is on board but Keenum is not, but why wouldn't Keenum be on board?

Politics? Who is he supporting in politics that would prevent something so trivial?

Laws? Are there any actual unchangable laws that are preventing this?

Again, the issue has been resolved by history & common sense that WE SHOULD be selling beer at DWS. That's not the discussion here. I'm just looking for clarification, if anyone has any, as what the hold up is?
    Only reason you want to know is so you can attack the person or the reason. Yep, Keenum makes the final decision. Keenum is a family man and holds strong Christian beliefs. He wants to keep the gameday inside the stadium more a family atmosphere. Now you can start your attack.

Yes, there are many that can drink and maintain their control but there are many that can't. Can you not go a few hours without drinking? Not that big a deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Only reason you want to know is so you can attack the person or the reason. Yep, Keenum makes the final decision. Keenum is a family man and holds strong Christian beliefs. He wants to keep the gameday inside the stadium more a family atmosphere. Now you can start your attack.

Yes, there are many that can drink and maintain their control but there are many that can't. Can you not go a few hours without drinking? Not that big a deal.
    Again, history has already decided that this is a stupid opinion. I don't believe Keenum truly believes what you just wrote, but, if he did, I wouldn't have much confidence in his ability to lead this university to greater heights.

Every professional stadium has beer sales & with little to no issue. It's not up for debate. There are actually people that thought prohibition was a good idea back in the day. Can you imagine that? Not selling beer at MSU is allowing a small minority to decided policy for the vast majority, which isn't right.

vCash

Hiring a competent football coach will go a lot longer in making Davis Wade a family atmosphere because it will result in less cursing at the coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    They say it starts with the President
    I think Keemun overall has done a really good job but when you?re a MSU guy and you have nothing but MSU guys around you, you end up with a bunch of yes men operating in a vacuum lacking outside POV.

I?m not here to beat up on MSU leadership. Since 98 MSU and Starkville has skyrocketed on an upward trajectory while OM has trended down or held serve at best. If the next 2 decades are like the last 2, MSU will leave OM in the dust in every aspect. All that has been achieved with strong leadership. That said, I get an uneasy feeling when literally everyone who matters from the president to the ad, to compliance, to Associate ad, to communications guys are all ?MSU people?.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    That said, I get an uneasy feeling when literally everyone who matters from the president to the ad, to compliance, to Associate ad, to communications guys are all ?MSU people?.
    Agree & too many from Starkville. You need a balance & that goes for every school & athletic program.

Texas A&M, Alabama, Texas, etc all have the same issue. The people who grow up close to the program are the popular political choice for positions, &, while that may be true, you end up with no diversity of thought

vCash

Shotgun didn't start this thread to go down this path, but there are no "Christian beliefs" against drinking in moderation, or against alcohol being sold at sporting events. Yes, there are some ultra conservative Christians, most of which are 65+, that think all drinking is wrong, but I would say it is the extreme minority view these days.

With that said, I do think the "family atmosphere" thing is on Keenum's mind, which is not a valid reason not to do it based on the experience of stadiums that actually sell alcohol. And I do think Keenum is the road block based on everything I've heard from credible people and reading between the lines anytime Cohen talks about this issue.

And this has nothing to do with going a few hours without drinking or it being "that big a deal" to you. It's a legitimate money making opportunity that the school with the smallest budget is just giving up without any public explanation as to why.

vCash
    Keenum is over the top conservative and doesn't have the balls to stand up to the minority that will complain. Not much different than firing Moorhead. He struggled to understand and almost waited too long.

vCash
    I dont think the Legislature has approved alcohol to be sold on campus as of yet, has it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I dont think the Legislature has approved alcohol to be sold on campus as of yet, has it?
    Ole Miss can do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Ole Miss can do it.
    USM sold it last season too.

vCash
    All that has to be done is for the Oktibbeha county Board of supervisors to vote DWS, the Dude or the Hump to have resort status. That's all it takes, TSUN, USM and plenty of other places in this state have done it.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Shotgun didn't start this thread to go down this path, but there are no "Christian beliefs" against drinking in moderation, or against alcohol being sold at sporting events. Yes, there are some ultra conservative Christians, most of which are 65+, that think all drinking is wrong, but I would say it is the extreme minority view these days.

With that said, I do think the "family atmosphere" thing is on Keenum's mind, which is not a valid reason not to do it based on the experience of stadiums that actually sell alcohol. And I do think Keenum is the road block based on everything I've heard from credible people and reading between the lines anytime Cohen talks about this issue.

And this has nothing to do with going a few hours without drinking or it being "that big a deal" to you. It's a legitimate money making opportunity that the school with the smallest budget is just giving up without any public explanation as to why.
    Don't you know, Jesus drank Welch's, not actual wine**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    All that has to be done is for the Oktibbeha county Board of supervisors to vote DWS, the Dude or the Hump to have resort status. That's all it takes, TSUN, USM and plenty of other places in this state have done it.
    This^