Thread: Video on MSU football 1991

vCash

Video on MSU football 1991

This is GREAT! This was the first season I ever followed MSU football and really the season that marked a change in eras for us.

But still some lingering your Daddy's Mississippi State strains in it. We sold a home game to Florida and moved it to Orlando. And we played Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss all in a row to the end the year. However, this was the first season we didn't play the Egg Bowl in Jackson and we had a good season. Also this was the first year where we didn't play USM annually. So the changes were beginning. Really fun to see where we started and where we are now and how far we have come.

Really cool to see the Mad Dawgs get mentioned and that's something I'd like to see MSU bring back for their special teams. Doesn't have to be "walk-ons" (I don't believe they really were all walk-ons)- could just be the guys on the kickoff team.

Fun to watch the wishbone being run. Joe Montana and Sleepy Robinson were my two favorite QB's growing up. I loved watching Sleepy play.

Rodney Stowers- just incredibly sad. We've had far too many tragedies at MSU with our football players over the years.

The ONLY two things I would have added- Tom Luke getting knocked out by Keo Coleman. The only reason I can think of as to why that hit wasn't included is probably because it would have caused this video to have been rated R because it was maybe the most vicious hit I have ever seen in my life to this day. The best way I could describe this hit is it looked like those old videos of the 1985 Chicago Bears where they hit a guy for the Detroit Lions so hard you legitimately wondered if he was dead. The other thing was MSU blocking an Ole Miss punt right after they dug Luke out of the Scott Field turf.

The Liberty Bowl has to be one of the best bowls out there as far as how it is run. I'm not saying it's the most prestigious- but it's a good one to go to and it's well organized.

So, GREAT video. I've loved watching these and this is a great addition to the ones from 1980, 1998, and 1999. Hope MSU puts even more up.

vCash

Visual representation of the Tom Luke as best as I can find.

vCash
    54:38 top right corner. It's a sign

vCash
    Didn't they dig Stowers grave up for a law suit?

vCash
    Boy Jackie had some athletes, some grown men on his teams. Never forget the mad dawgs or the Texas game that year, my senior year at MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    54:38 top right corner. It's a sign
    Lol. I saw the pirate flag!!

vCash
    I remember where I was when I heard Rodney stowers died. First grade. Forest elementary cafeteria. Rodney was from forest and his mom taught there (Greg Carter's mom too). Sad day.

vCash
    That was the turning point for the MSU football program. It was an up and down year. Beat Texas. Lose to Memphis. Finish the regular season strong. Lose the bowl. But it was an extremely fun season after all we had been through in the 80s.

Tip of the cap to Rocky for assembling all that talent. Thanks Jackie for organizing and training that talent to reach its potential.

vCash
    JWS supposedly the first coach to be paid a Million a year when he went to A&M.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    JWS supposedly the first coach to be paid a Million a year when he went to A&M.
    JWS was worth every penny. I believe the JWS era was the most successful era of aTm football. At least in modern times.

Obviously it was the most successful era of our history at
    The time.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I wish sleepy would have been able to play in the Mullen offense. He was something else.

vCash
    That team was 7-4 with close losses at the end of the game to bama and Memphis. And barely lost to TN. Team was really close to being 10-1. I was only 7 so I didn't realize how good we were.

7 year old Confucius makes an appearance in that video too!

vCash
    Jackie's first season was my freshman year at MSU. I fell in love with MSU football and college football my first game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    That team was 7-4 with close losses at the end of the game to bama and Memphis. And barely lost to TN. Team was really close to being 10-1. I was only 7 so I didn't realize how good we were.

7 year old Confucius makes an appearance in that video too!
    That team was very talented. We beat Bama without their cheating and refs letting them get away with the D calling on LOS. They did that again in another game years later that got them the win. I remember that Memphis game what a heartbreaker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    Jackie's first season was my freshman year at MSU. I fell in love with MSU football and college football my first game.
    I was a senior Jackie's first year. He energized MSU football in a big, big way. Mad dawgs was a great idea that had the students fired up. The Texas game was epic and still one of the best atmosphere's at Scott Field I've been to.

vCash
    Finally had a chance to watch this... I was one year removed from graduating State and it brings back a ton of memories. As it's been said in this thread and many others, this season foreshadowed most of JWS's tenure. Amazing wins followed by head scratching losses. But we really should've been 10-2 that year. Had Bama and Tenn on the ropes and never should've lost to Memphis... but the main thing was that we, as fans, never felt like we didn't have a chance to win. We played hard and almost every loss came down to the 4th quarter. Crazy how the excitement for MSU football felt, especially after the Felker era.
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 05-09-2020 at 11:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Finally had a chance to watch this... I was one year removed from graduating State and it brings back a ton of memories. As it's been said in this thread and many others, this season foreshadowed most of JWS's tenure. Amazing wins followed by head scratching losses. But we really should've been 10-2 that year. Had Bama and Tenn on the ropes and never should've lost to Memphis... but the main thing was that we, as fans, never felt like we didn't have a chance to win. We played hard and almost every loss came down to the 4th quarter. Crazy how the excitement for MSU football felt, especially after the Felker era.
    You're right. He also didn't have us prepared for the Liberty Bowl which was another weakness of Sherrill. I'll also add- who knows how Florida turns out if it's played in Starkville instead of Orlando? See what we did to them in 1992 with a lot of the same players.

I agree with those that said that this team was close to and maybe should have been 10-1. But for context here the seniors on this team were 1-10 their freshman year at MSU. Really remarkable turnaround to go from that to a team that actually was a few breaks from potentially going undefeated. I think part of the reason why this team didn't was because they just didn't know how to win yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    Me too man!!! But I was coming in as a sophomore from JCJC!! I already loved college football but that season changed me forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Great post. I tell people all the time that when JWS was our coach, I knew we had a chance to win every single game we played. Even when we were outgunned, those teams fought hard and he never felt like he wasn’t the best coach on the field.