Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ESPN FPI Says We Go 4-8 or 5-7

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Sighhhhh...I'll explain it one more time for everyone. Hopefully it will start sinking in

A) Under JoVester and Mullen- we were a predomiant run heavy team. Run-heavy keeps the clocks moving. Under JoVester- we averaged 40 runs per game and 24 passes per game. We are about to flip that ratio. We are not good at WR- there will be alot more incompletions in 2020- stopping the clock.

B) Defense is simply played differently in the SEC than in the Pac-12. JoVester found out about that. Teams are going to rush 4 and 5- lock up man underneath and let the safety/safeties run to the ball. They dont play that way near as much in the Pac-12.

C) We're not going to be very good on D- especially at LB and in the Secondary. DL should be improved but will still lack a pass rush. That will cause us to play more plays defensively also unless we give up too many big plays to shorten drives against us. This lack of depth will hurt alot in the hot climate that is September and October in Miss
    Our back 7 looks really rough on paper. Why are people ignoring this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    No idea. Looks to be the worst back 7 we have had in awhile to me.

Murphy could be pretty good and Thompson plays the run pretty well but struggles in coverage. Neither group can be viewed as a "strength" tho.
    Last edited by Coach34; 05-08-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash

B) Defense is simply played differently in the SEC than in the Pac-12. JoVester found out about that. Teams are going to rush 4 and 5- lock up man underneath and let the safety/safeties run to the ball. They dont play that way near as much in the Pac-12
    Jovester has never coached in the PAC-12...until now, if we ever get back to playing football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Jovester has never coached in the PAC-12...until now, if we ever get back to playing football.
    Yep. And he will be slightly more successful than in the SEC- but nobody will confuse him with “genius” anymore

vCash
    Costello is the ultimate wild card that is the unknown. How good will he be? On paper, he's the best incoming qb in our history and it's not even remotely close.

He has 7 300-yard passing games against against Power 5 schools. 7! That's double anybody else in the SEC. And that includes against top 20 defenses Oregon, Utah, and Washington. And he's pairing with the foremost passing coach in college football the last two decades.

When you have a guy who some project as a late first rounder/second rounder at the most important position in football (Walter Camp projection), you just never know.

vCash
    Our JUCO guys will make or break our defense imo. Guys like Jordan Davis, Tre Lawson, Fred Peters, and Kyle Cass need to come in and contribute immediately. If not, it could get rough on that side of the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Our JUCO guys will make or break our defense imo. Guys like Jordan Davis, Tre Lawson, Fred Peters, and Kyle Cass need to come in and contribute immediately. If not, it could get rough on that side of the ball.
    Rinse, repeat every year.

Let's hope this group isn't Arizona Western JC 2.0. I think Davis, Heath, and Tyrus Wheat will be pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Rinse, repeat every year.

Let's hope this group isn't Arizona Western JC 2.0. I think Davis, Heath, and Tyrus Wheat will be pretty good.
    Forgot about Tyrus Wheat. Yeah, he's a thumper

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    This board almost always overrates us

vCash
    Forgot about Tyrus Wheat. Yeah, he's a thumper
    Haven't seen Wheat but hear good things. Fred Peters is a player. We'll have some new faces explode on the scene this year just like every year we lose players to NFL.

vCash
    Most jucos take at least a good half season to adapt and these guys didnt even get Spring Practice.

But there are alot of wild cards out there right now with what has taken place. Will certainly be interesting this Fall

vCash
    Most jucos take at least a good half season to adapt and these guys didnt even get Spring Practice.

But there are alot of wild cards out there right now with what has taken place. Will certainly be interesting this Fall
    I think you make a good point here.

Yes, we have issues, but so does everyone else.

There is a tendency to only see your own problems & assume everyone else is fine, but that's not true. Everyone is going to feel the pain of not having Spring.

LSU could feel it more than anyone honestly
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Looks like a 6-6 year to me. New Mexico,Arkansas,Tulane,Missouri,Alabama A&M and one of TAMU/Ole Miss/Nc State

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Looks like a 6-6 year to me. New Mexico,Arkansas,Tulane,Missouri,Alabama A&M and one of TAMU/Ole Miss/Nc State
    Kentucky ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think you make a good point here.

Yes, we have issues, but so does everyone else.

There is a tendency to only see your own problems & assume everyone else is fine, but that's not true. Everyone is going to feel the pain of not having Spring.

LSU could feel it more than anyone honestly
    Or ... not see your own problems and assume everyone else not named Bama sucks. Most years this board thinks we will waltz thru AM/AU and our always horrible other SEC East opponent with LSU as a tossup and the icing.

ETA: And for some reason ... it never quite works out that way.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 05-10-2020 at 09:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Or ... not see your own problems and assume everyone else not named Bama sucks. Most years this board thinks we will waltz thru AM/AU and our always horrible other SEC East opponent with LSU as a tossup and the icing.

ETA: And for some reason ... it never quite works out that way.
    I've literally never seen one poster on here say we will waltz through auburn and Aggie. I do think many believe we stand a chance in those two games, and the recent facts, which follow below, support as much. And outside of LSU's 2019 season, LSU has been a tossup. The facts are:

We've beaten Aggie 3 of 4 and 4 of 6.
    We've split the last 6 vs auburn.
    Minus 2019, LSU has been a toss up the last 6 years (W in 2014, L by 2 in 2015, L by 3 in 2016, W huge in 2017, L by 12 in 2018).

For the record, I think we go 7-5. But anything from 6-6 to 8-4 would not surprise me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I've literally never seen one poster on here say we will waltz through auburn and Aggie. I do think many believe we stand a chance in those two games, and the recent facts, which follow below, support as much. And outside of LSU's 2019 season, LSU has been a tossup. The facts are:

We've beaten Aggie 3 of 4 and 4 of 6.
    We've split the last 6 vs auburn.
    Minus 2019, LSU has been a toss up the last 6 years (W in 2014, L by 2 in 2015, L by 3 in 2016, W huge in 2017, L by 12 in 2018).

For the record, I think we go 7-5. But anything from 6-6 to 8-4 would not surprise me.
    LOL ... ok but there are folks on here that pretty much have us beating AM/AU every year and always beating our SEC E foe too. And then there's KY which isn't quite the slouch they once were. Some folks have us winning 8, 9, and even 10 some every year now.

Not saying we can't have decent season and do believe 7-5 is about right. But that means we lose 4 somewhere that ain't Bama. Would that not be AM/AU/LSU, maybe OM (at their place), Mizzou, KY?? You'll have a lot of folks thinking we'll beat all those teams except maybe LSU.

ETA: And this with a whole new coaching staff and no spring workouts or practice.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 05-10-2020 at 09:58 AM.

vCash
    8-4
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    I just hope that by the end of the season, we will be able to say Cohen made the right hire.

So many things often look promising, in multiple sports not just football, only to turn out to be a big disappointment.

I think we look better than MoHead on the scoreboard, yet still get crushed by Bama, LSU, Aub, A&M, and likely whomever the rotating SEC East opponent is...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    LOL ... Would that not be AM/AU/LSU, maybe OM (at their place), Mizzou, KY?? You'll have a lot of folks thinking we'll beat all those teams except maybe LSU.

ETA: And this with a whole new coaching staff and no spring workouts or practice.
    Who on here has said we will go 5-0 against Aggie, auburn, OM, Mizzou, KY? I have not seen that, much less a lot of folks.

I've seen more people (Liverpool, coach34) say 5-7,6-6 than people say 10-2.