Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DeviousDawg's vision for Davis Wade Stadium's South EZ expansion/hotel...

vCash

DeviousDawg's vision for Davis Wade Stadium's South EZ expansion/hotel...

First and foremost, I am by no means a photo shop wizard, but I believe I have done a good enough job to convey my vision.

Original rendering of South EZ hotel

Devious Dawg's rendering of South EZ hotel

***Added 5/10/20***

Obviously, I am only focused on the field side of the hotel in this post, but I also have some ideas for The Junction facing side of the hotel, which I will discuss later. Anyway, it looks a lot better than the original, imo. Here are the main differences between the original rendering and my vision:

1. The hotel is fully attached to the East and West sides of DWS. This is the biggest thing to me, it has to bowl in the stadium. It should look more like a stadium than a hotel, and I think this achieves that. I couldn't create a perfect and fluid connection between the East/west sides and the hotel bottom floor, but you can use your imagination, it should be seamless.

2. Instead of just common areas to congregate/watch the game, it should offer Hotel rooms with balconies that overlook the stadium. In my design, there are 32 private balconies overlooking the field. These are the high dollar hotel rooms, and the larger ones, with most of them being suites. The balconies create an atmosphere similar to the Left Field Lofts. I think it would be stupid to not have balconies, no one wants to watch a game behind a single hotel room window. The balconies are essential, and add to the overall atmosphere of the stadium.

3. I added a "Scoreboard Club" atop the Hotel, it is larger than the North EZ scoreboard club, with a capacity of ~2,500 chairback seats. This give the stadium a bit of symmetry, with scoreboard clubs and their Jumbotrons facing one another. I envision ~500 rooms(seems like a lot but it would fill every football weekend, and would be great for recruiting trips), with only 32 facing the field, that means that the large majority of hotel rooms are smaller(typical hotel room), and facing the junction or looking east and west(the structure is a large rectangle, although slightly curved on the field facing side). So since the large majority of stadiums don't have a balcony with field view access, these hotel rooms and their residents will sit in the Scoreboard club chairbacks. Each room has 5-10 permanent tickets/seats. Your seats depends on which room you get(each room has permanent reserved seats in the Scoreboard club). Also, 1/3 to 1/2 of the seats would be sold just as Scoreboard Club tickets, so not everyone in the chairbacks above the hotel is staying in the hotel. Because there are so many rooms, and it is premium/club seating, most of the rooms are sold as a premium seating package(you don't want a bunch of guys staying in the hotel that are using their season tickets elsewhere in the stadium, otherwise the chairbacks above the hotel wouldn't fill). So 50%-75% of the rooms are sold as season tickets, you reserve the room for the season, and their corresponding seats. Think of these rooms as the Left Field Loft rooms, you essentially lease it for the entire season, maybe even do it in 5 year deals like the Left Field Lofts. The remaining rooms are sold on a game to game basis.

The Junction facing rooms should all be single rooms with small balconies(think of a typical beach front hotel/condo) with grills. This would really add to the atmosphere of the Junction, and create an atmosphere unique to Mississippi State, with balconies overlooking the Junction with a Dudy Noble like wall of smoke during tailgating hours, creating a truly unique College Football tailgating experience.

The Bottom Floor should be open to the Junction, with a shite ton of permanent bathrooms, along with gift shops(think Barnes & Noble) and Tailgating shops(selling the essentials), and an open view to the field from the Junction.

The bottom floor facing the field is another Gridiron Club.

So the hotel side rooms + the rooftop Scoreboard club would add another ~3,000 seats to the stadiums capacity, bringing us up to ~64,000, which I think is too much. I think we should be at 60,000 tops. So how do we achieve this? Easy, install chairbacks through the entirety of the stadium, making MSU the only SEC school with an all chairback stadium. This would reduce the stadiums capacity by about 5,000-7,500. So you add 3,000 and subtract another 6,000 or so, so this would bring the total capacity down to ~58,000, which I think is perfect. This would make our stadium a destination, and the most unique stadium in College Football. We bowl it in, while bringing the capacity down to where it should be and also adding a one of a kind Stadium Hotel.

This is by no means the perfect design, but I think it is on the right track. Our Athletic Department had the right idea with the hotel, and shouldn't shy away from the idea. Everyone liked the idea, just hated the rendering. I think this is more like what the fan base was hoping for.
    Last edited by DeviousDawg; 05-10-2020 at 05:55 PM. Reason: DD's EZ hotel vision 2.0

vCash
    You need to send that to Cohen, stat! Man, that would be beautiful!

vCash
    Great job DD.

Really like what you've done here. The only change I'd make is moving your scoreboard club to the bottom. I just don't think those seats at the top are sellable.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I like your version a lot better. I'm assuming the official renderings are based on what we want to spend as yours would be a lot more expensive.

The only thing I'd change would be to curve it at the ends so that it meshes a little better with the stadium. But I'd go with yours over the official one for sure.

vCash
    A true big picture long term vision would attach a 7000 seat Coliseum to the back of it where the Junction currently exists rather than renovating the Hump. Knock down Dorman and relocate the Junction to where Dorman currently stands. Hump could be left as is for now, but no more money spent on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nsvltndog View Post
    A true big picture long term vision would attach a 7000 seat Coliseum to the back of it where the Junction currently exists rather than renovating the Hump. Knock down Dorman and relocate the Junction to where Dorman currently stands. Hump could be left as is for now, but no more money spent on it.
    Huh?

Destroying the Junction would be about the dumbest possible thing we could ever do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Great job DD.

Really like what you've done here. The only change I'd make is moving your scoreboard club to the bottom. I just don't think those seats at the top are sellable.
    If they don't sell at the bottom, it would be visible on TV. Why take the risk?

I love DD's version, but I would just do away with the seats all together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    If they don't sell at the bottom, it would be visible on TV. Why take the risk?

I love DD's version, but I would just do away with the seats all together.
    We need seats in the endzone IMO. For sound, atmosphere, & TV perception purposes, it's important.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    I would put the hotels on each side as the connector to the existing stadium. With it sitting on the mid-level, I would have it connected through to the junction side of the building as a party deck that could be used by the hotel guest before, during, and after the game. Between the two hotel sides, I would put a seating area similar to the seating that the Seahawks have in their endzone, leaving a gap on each side between the seating and hotels for the connection between the field party deck and the junction party deck. I would also design in a gigantic cowbell (clock tower) style thing that could be rung by big time supporters of the program or recruits when we score. Make it prominent, dead center at the plaza level. On the backside of the seating areas, I would have concessions and different tailgating spots set up on different levels. turn the backside into what the lofts are looking at dudy noble field.

I bet all of that could be done for 30-35 million and it incorporates interactions for tailgating with the junction. Hell you could have a giant staircase leading directly into the junction with a large archway the players could walk through to get to the field. It sets our stadium up with a cool visual with the giant cowbell that will be equal to "the Swamp" logo at UF.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Someone send this to Cohen. Like seriously, this is way better than the original rendering.

I think all of us are in agreement that the end zone needs to be fully bowled in. The hotel concept is cool, but only if you do it right. DeviousDawg just did it right.

vCash
    I know something that big would be a massive amount of money (probably not feasible). However, one thing we don't know is how much would the hotel developer be on the hook for? I assume it would be a hotel franchise of some kind (Hilton, Marriott, etc) and not a University operated hotel?

vCash
    Where would you put the locker room?

I like the idea. I also think it would be good to have the second floor as an M club floor with a full length balcony/sitting area. Kind of like at red bird park.

vCash
    Expensive but it would also bring in a massive amount of money. Good job. Thanks for taking the time to design that and explain.

vCash
    I like the idea of moving the stadium seating to the bottom and making part of all of the top a patio somewhat matching the one on the other end.

vCash
    I like it! If we leased the balcony suites for a year with a 5- or 10-year commitment like the Left Field Lofts, they'd sell out at an even higher price than the lofts. Might cut into the loft leases a bit, but overall the school would make more money and give more options for lessees.

It would be cool if there was a way to have the suites look out over both the field and The Junction, but your idea of having a lot of single rooms facing The Junction is better. If the single rooms were regular hotel rooms outside of football season they would be the room of choice in the Starkville area.

I'm conflicted whether to have the seating above or below the hotel. Above would match the Scoreboard Club in the opposite endzone AND give a better view of the game (fans can see better from higher endzone seats than lower). But having the seats below and running all the way across would give the stadium a more bowled-in look and look more homogenous with the rest of the stadium, even if it's a smaller lower level. Lots of big stadiums have or had one endzone with fewer rows (Texas, Auburn).

IF we were to chairback the entire stadium that would work and still have the ability to expand the Scoreboard Cub and add seats above the hotel (or do it along with the new construction). I'm for putting chairbacks in the entire lower level and maybe the upper levels too. However, I wonder if we will ever chairback the entire stadium or even just the lower level? Would that cut into our club leases? Many may currently get club seats more for the chairback than the lounge and food. I wonder what UNC has seen since they chairbacked the whole stadium.
    Last edited by MedDawg; 05-06-2020 at 12:35 PM.

vCash
    Great job DD.

I just don't think those seats at the top are sellable.
    Nor are they realistic from an engineering, operations, and maintenance standpoint.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I know something that big would be a massive amount of money (probably not feasible). However, one thing we don't know is how much would the hotel developer be on the hook for? I assume it would be a hotel franchise of some kind (Hilton, Marriott, etc) and not a University operated hotel?
    If it were University run, we could leave maroon backpacks full of $$$ for our recruits, a la our friends up north.***

vCash
    Huh?

Destroying the Junction would be about the dumbest possible thing we could ever do.
    Junction just gets relocated. If we follow your terminology then it gets "destroyed" and rebuilt. In the process Dorman is gone and we get a new arena for hoops that has proper seating capacity for us rather than a remodeled Hump. I envision the arena as shaped more like a rectangle than a circle like the Hump in order to minimize its physical footprint. If the hotel idea sticks then you also have an on campus hotel in between new football end zone and arena, all architecturally connected. Hotel could even be vertical above the arena as another option.

We are a world class Land Grant school with a turf grass/landscape architecture program along with renowned architecture alums that could create a new Junction and modernize a lot of things in the process. We didnt have a Junction for most of MSU's history. These groups had the vision to design and build it for us and could do so again. How else do you get rid of Dorman? We may lose some of the Junction anyway when we do a big project in that endzone. I'm not naive enough to expect this to happen but if we had the funds i think it would be a great plan for that entire area.

vCash
    like everyone elese. that look pretty good except i would move the seating part to the bottom to go with the other seats. maybe club tier platforms in the corners similar to what Texas is doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    If it were University run, we could leave maroon backpacks full of $$$ for our recruits, a la our friends up north.***
    Don?t bring that sarcasm up inn here, it?s a great business model. All joking aside, it would be a huge plus for recruiting visit weekends, recruits would love staying in the field facing suites with their families for official visit weekends. I would hope that we wouldn?t sell out and it would be university run, we could handle it.